Apartment Violence....story....

This is a discussion on Apartment Violence....story.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this just happened about half an hour ago, probably not even that long. I was online just reading and looking up what's on sale ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Violence....story....

Well, this just happened about half an hour ago, probably not even that long. I was online just reading and looking up what's on sale on eBay. I then hear two consecutive shots.....a pause.....and then multiple shots (maybe 6 or 8) that sounded like they were just outside my apartment. I am not going lie and say that I was a Macho Man. I jumped like a scared cat and duck under my desk fearing that one of them would fly through my window where my desk sits at. I stayed ducked under my desk, trying to "assess" the situation (more like praying that it wasn't for me). After about a minute, I got out from under my desk, listened quietly, then my cell phone SCARED the crap out of me when it was my GF calling me. I answered quietly (still afraid that "they" were outside) and told her to call me back. Soon after, you hear a firetruck and an ambulance respond to the scene. It turned out that the incident occurred at the apartment complex across the street from where i live. Then finally, 10 police cars show up (ok, maybe 6 police cars) and a tow truck (why a tow truck, I don't know). So all in all, I was safe and my dad was sleeping like rock, as usual.

But heres the thing, if you lived in SouthWest Houston, or any other relatively "bad" neighborhood, would you have done the same thing I have done? Or you would do something different?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    In this situation, HECK YES!!! The only times I may run toward gunshots are when a family memeber may be in the crossfire, after those situations it is on a case by case situation.

You don't know if the PD has a BG cornered, you don't know the situation of the gunfight so there are times it's better just to hunker down and wait for the PD.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

that sounded like a good plan for me

VIP Member
    I would grab my shotgun before getting to cover. That usually just meant picking up the shotty on the way to the bathroom. I kept it close after the MD State Trooper that was my neighbor was robbed with his own gun sitting in his apartment. They took his cruiser as well. The DC cop next door said he wore his gun all the time and asked if I had a gun and if not did I want one.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    only thing I mighta done different is grab my cell phone and either a pistol or shotgun, just in case those shots were directed at me. Being an additional person calling 911 couldn't hurt.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    You did the correct thing at the time. You got yourself protected and safe by ducking for cover. After the shots stopped you then assessed what you needed to do. You did fine. I don't know that going to grab a gun or a cell phone would have been a better idea before hiding. Under the circumstances probably not because you would have been more exposed than under the desk.

Once the shooting stopped, getting your gun and cell phone and retreating to a safer and protected setting would have been next. OTOH, 3 shots coming in your window would present a different scenario where you would want your gun and cell phone immediately.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did fine. taking a stray round is never a good thing. Finding good cover and being prepared is good too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Almost The Same Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    In this situation, HECK YES!!! The only times I may run toward gunshots are when a family memeber may be in the crossfire, after those situations it is on a case by case situation.

You don't know if the PD has a BG cornered, you don't know the situation of the gunfight so there are times it's better just to hunker down and wait for the PD.
    I would only run towards the gunshots, IF, it were a family member...
    If I discovered it was my mother-in-law...I would immediately draw my weapon and begin firing also...(just kidding, of course )

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a similar experience a few years ago. My son and myself were in the living room, we heard 3 or 4 shots outside. A few seconds later there was a crash. My son (in his 20s) hit the deck immediately. i ducked behind a wall that held pocket doors. After a few moments when everything was quiet. I grabbed a shotgun and peeked out. Some 14 year old shot a guy in his car through the back window. His car smashed into the back of mine. I talked to the guy till EM got there, trying to keep him calm. The guy ended up paralyzed. This aint the movies, You reacted well.

You absolutely made the right choice. There does not need to be any more lead flying around in an apartment complex. Especially those finely crafted ones we see in Houston, with little more than siding and sheetrock to act as a backstop for any less well placed shots.

You did the right thing guy.

It is always right to get yourself as low as possible and get under or behind something. Good job. You reacted in a manner that might just save your hide one day. Don't second guess it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Cover, Cover, Cover... always go for cover! Going for cover should be an "immediate action drill." Then, at the first opportunity, retrieve a defense weapon if not already in your hand.

I think you acted in an appropriate way.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

+1

but stay armed

never recommend go looking for trouble...

If your hit and killed by a stray round it would be a waste. I would duck for cover too. My second thought would be where is my gun. I think you did the right thing. At the time you had no idea where the shooting was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I discovered it was my mother-in-law...I would immediately draw my weapon and begin firing also...(just kidding, of course )

ret
    That's funny, and it's Mom day weekend too.

Which is why I'm here and my wife is TCB with her Mom in Memphis.

I think it's ok to shoot Mothers in law here in TN as long as it's season, if it isn't maybe we need to get that changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links