Supermarket encounter

Supermarket encounter

This is a discussion on Supermarket encounter within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. It's been along time since i've posted here. However, I'm constantly reading and learning. There was an encounter tonight that I thought I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermarket encounter

Supermarket encounter

Hi all.

It's been along time since i've posted here. However, I'm constantly reading and learning.

There was an encounter tonight that I thought I would share with you.

Obviously, it's late at night. I'm at the supermarket getting ALLOT of groceries, (it's been forever since we've been there). Now, I know for one, being out this late puts us a danger time, but we needed it.

I'm out at my car, no cars around me at all. Lot is fairly well lit, also, i'm near the front door. Still, i'm on "yellow alert". Watching, head on a swivel stuff. Listening.

2 carts full, I just got started on the first.

Off of the side of the building, someone walks out and starts towards the my car. Female, around 5'10" blonde hair, denim jacket, blue ball cap. Terribly thin though. As soon as i noticed her I stopped everything.

She comes up, speaking quite softly. So as she gets closer, I back up a step. She stops and speaks up a bit.

Now, i'm going to make this as clean as possible. She asks me for a ride home and in exchange I'm propositioned. I think that'll suffice.

I've been reading here a bit, but I don't think I've read one before where this has been mentioned. It actually shocked me a bit and I say "excuse me?" So she says it again, then "I'm trying to get home"

This is when I notice another "shadow" that moves near the side of the building where she came from. It's a guy, rather large, heavy set, dark hair, white guy, also with a denim jacket.

This is where I say, "No thank you, goodnight" I just stand there looking and making it obvious I see the person back at the building.

She actually stood there for just a bit, mabey 5 seconds. At that point I put my hand up to my hip and just looked.

She cursed me, walked away straight back to the building.

It needs to be mentioned that I'm not carrying. I did have my knife. My application is in for CCW, but it's a good 2 mo away at least being in Denver, Co. and all.

I'll never be sure, but I think the term is "marked" and they wanted to see if i would bite.

Myself, I believe that I handled it correctly, I didn't show vulnerability and gave the appearance that I would handle things if it came to that. Even though I wasn't completely armed.

One fault is that I was out that late and in an empty parking lot. I put myself there.

I'll finish this out with that I got the rest put away (keeping a very close eye on them of course, was easy to to since my car was facing them) asap. Drove away and called a person that I know works there and suggested she call work to let them know.

Actually, come to think of it....I left the eggs. hmmmm.

Be safe,

Loch
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Yep... I bet you felt kind of "naked" without your gun! Damn waiting periods.

I think you handled the situation very cool and collected. The fact that you can get ccw in Colorado makes them think, "is he... or isn't he?"

Also a good move letting accomplice see you looking at him. That makes all the difference in the world... Their element of surprise was blown... You looked like you were prepared for business... Potential crime foiled!

Most Excellent!

Carry on!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think you did good
    Thats what I would have done
    I must be truthfull
    If she was better lookin
    I may have not have notice
    the guy in the shadows :)
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Sounds like you were marked and in the crosshairs. Good job in keeping your presence of mind, your situational awareness, and remaining on your guard. You might well have been taken down, had you not done those things.

Time for the carry license. Time for a bit of practice for those situations that aren't so uncommon anymore.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What part of Denver was this in? Just curious as I used to live there.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

I'm curious too, because I STILL live there!

I'm curious too, because I STILL live there!
    Me too!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    You handled that very well.
    Some might say you should have done this or that instead but you did fine.
    Sounds like when she lost out on you she went huntin for someone else. I hope they faired as well as you did.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice work and way to pay attention to the background. It helps when they move around like that.

It definitly sounds like you avoided a really bad situation here. I have very little doubt that something bad was about to go down.

I with I had a nickle for every time I hear "why are you taking your gun, your just going to (insert your place of choice here). Just goes to show that it can happen anywhere.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Well done. One of the benefits of carrying is that it raises your awareness. When I am carrying a gun I am constantly reminded of why that gun is there, and therefore I am much more aware. This awareness probably helps prevent 90% of the situations that would require defensive use of that weapon. Obviously you are already in this mode of awareness without even carrying yet, which is excellent.

Also, reaching for your hip was a clever move. Not sure if I would have had the presence of mind to do that if I was unarmed.

Let us know when you get your CCW and we can celebrate with you.

well done,and glad to hear you got home safely. lets hope that
    two months goes quickly for ya

This was a supermarket near the denver/aurora border. If you know the area, it's the one near the intersection of I-225 and Parker road.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention it by name.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

you sure faked that bad girl out. Grocery store parking lots can be a bad place to be after dark. It was nice of you to call someone from the store and warn them. This might save someone from getting mugged or the store from being held up. The only thing I would have done differently would be to call the cops and inform them about what was going on so they could stake it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochinver View Post
    This was a supermarket near the denver/aurora border. If you know the area, it's the one near the intersection of I-225 and Parker road.

Not sure if I'm allowed to mention it by name.
    I know which one you mean. When I moved to Denver in December of 1990 I lived at the Fairways Apartments. Wasn't a bad area back in the early 90's but things can sure change.

Edit: *Used* to be Fairways Apartments. Now called Kennedy Ridge Apartments it seems. :)
    Last edited by PapaScout; May 16th, 2007 at 03:45 PM.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Good job

Very good work there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links