How quickly can you get to your gun while driving? - Page 2

How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you get to your gun while driving? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kikr Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter. The car is a better weapon than your gun. Moving is more important than ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kikr View Post
    Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter. The car is a better weapon than your gun. Moving is more important than shooting, and shooting from inside the vehicle while behind the steering wheel limits your range of motion, and fields of fire. I've never seen a vehicle that wasn't a bullet magnent and the passenger compartment is one big fatal funnel.

Practice your driving skills and practice your dismounting and shooting on the move skills for when you can't apply your driving skills.

Like I said, my opinion.
    You're right to an extent...I think someone posted a video here about a year ago or so though...can't quite remember what city...but basically a number of cars got swarmed in on one side street(looked like half the d@mn city was moving in on em) and the dope in the front car slammed on his brakes and wouldn't push through the crowd...and of course the car in back pulled right on up to the car in the middle so the middle car was more or less squished. In that type of scenario...yer up a creek with no paddle.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Lead Moderator
    Same as any other time I am wearing it. Strong side, with the cover garment loose from the seatbelt for ease of draw.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I like the Safepacker from wilderness, yeah it looks like a purse, or in my case a murse, but it works, If you do a lot of driving it might be worth it.

http://thewilderness.com/

I suggest wearing either a cross-draw holster or a shoulder holster. Both work great while driving I find.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Bark'n, I don't remember the exact intersection, because I was taking a slightly different route this time. Typically I get off eastbound I-70 at the 5th St. exit, but this time I was coming straight from the south up 169. I went up 169 north of I-70 and then cut over to the east through some residential neighborhoods. I think the area is called Sugar Hill or something like that.

Another area I have to drive through from time to time is around the vicinity of Parallel Parkway and 59th St. I remember a month after I started working a cow-orker and I were driving down 55th just north of parallel and there were cops all over the place around these little apartments. It was pretty obvious there had been a murder because there was every kind of LEO as well as news vans. Sure enough we found out later there was a multiple homicide in one of the crackhouses there. It is a really strange neighborhood because there are a lot of really nice middle-class homes mixed in with really trashy homes. Just up from the street from the murder house there is a beautiful house that could easily fetch $500k - 700k if it was situated on Wornall instead of 55th.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    When I get in my car, I take my P3AT out of my pocket and drop it in the pocket made by the door handle. I'd say that's as close to instantly accessible as I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Too long. IWB 3:30ish.
    Same for me. But then, I think ~3secs is too long. For me, it takes leaning forward/away while drawing, but it can be done while seated and the gun in the IWB holster. Would be better to have as cross-draw for driving, but I'm not going to be continually swapping between modes. So, I accept the added time and simply practice until competent and take other basic precautions such that the delay isn't (shouldn't be) crucial.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I simply slide the gun a few inches forward so it doesnt dig into my back while seated.
    In sketchy situations, I'll tuck the pistol underneath my right leg. The down side to this is, if I have to ram something or crash during my escape, the gun can be dislodged and who knows where it might end up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I simply slide the gun a few inches forward so it doesnt dig into my back while seated.
    In sketchy situations, I'll tuck the pistol underneath my right leg. The down side to this is, if I have to ram something or crash during my escape, the gun can be dislodged and who knows where it might end up.
    If I recall this exact thing happened to the FBI agents in the Miami shootout.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Yeah it did as I recall too. Its very important to make an accurate assessment before you use this technique.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Well documented in 'Unintended Consequences'.

me
    My ability t draw while driving SUCKS but I can not find a decent alternative to how to carry it and be able to draw in this position.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

There is always a second handgun in the vehicle, which rides in a convenient space between the driver's seat and the center console. I never have to worry about the one on my waist.

I would always use my vehicle as my first defense if I were in it. A 3,000lbs hunk of metal is a lot more effective (especially against groups of people) then a ball of lead that weighs a few ounces.

I drive a pretty fast car, and I know how maneuver it. If I were ever in a sticky situation chances are I would be able to escape fast enough to avoid harm to myself unless I was somehow blocked in by other vehicles. My car is also fast enough to get away from most other cars on the road if I happened to be chased.

As far as how I would carry in my car to allow easy draw, I would probably wedge my pistol between the drivers seat and center console...That way it would be right there and easy to get too, and out of immediate sight.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

First time post for me. I really appreciate the great input from everyone. I have my CCW and currently carry either my Sig P229R .40 or my Springfield XD40. These are easy to carry concealed in the winter but summer is tougher. Are there IWB holsters that are comfortable for these? I prefer to carry this size weapon.

Thank you,

Rick
    Denver,CO

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links