How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you get to your gun while driving? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rick, that question might be better off under the Holsters & Carry Options forum, but not to worry. My advice for summer carry would be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

Rick, that question might be better off under the Holsters & Carry Options forum, but not to worry.

My advice for summer carry would be to buy some short sleeved button-up shirts. I carry OWB in a paddle holster and I don't have a problem with concealment under a button-up shirt. For concealment under a t-shirt, IWB might be better, but I can't say for certain because I don't carry IWB. Although, I have heard good things about the Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 IWB holster and I plan to get one at some point.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    kikr, driving and ramming are always better than shooting. But sometimes traffic hems you in.
    Very true. I do a lot of driving in and around Detroit. multilane highways and traffic jams everywhere.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

i can get mine pretty fast; i wedge it between the seats when i drive.

When driving I too have mine wedged between the seats. Safe secure and easy to get to, fast. Of course it doesn't stay there when I'm not there.

I transfer from 3:30 IWB to an Andrews Carjacker Crossdraw when I get in my vehicle. Can either be hooked to belt or seat belt and then pull my shirt over it. Very fast access and draw, it's also comfortable on longer trips.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

i already cross carry so that's a start but i found out through trial and error that if my spidey sense tingles i can quickly "click" and release the seat belt and have total access. i think it helps that i'm left handed and i don't drive a stick (i like to have my right hand free whether to release the seat belt or to hold that "turbo chug" from 7-11). once the seat belt is off then i'm golden. plus, for older cars to newer ones, always keep your doors locked.
    What's this button do?

Wink Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    If I recall this exact thing happened to the FBI agents in the Miami shootout.
    What was lost in the vehicle crash wasn't a firearm it was the GLASSES of one of the agents killed. He was one of the best shots on the team, but without the enhanced vision afforded by his glasses he simply couldn't see to make a shot without posing a severe risk to fellow agents or innocents in homes nearby. He was slaughtered by a suspect within moments. IIRC this was Agent Dove. That shootout happened within a few miles of my office when I was a State Probation and Parole Officer. I think when that happened I was in court revoking the probation of some low life offender, so he could spend some time in the grey-bar hotel.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I still carry IWB with a Blade Tech even on long trips. OR I might carry in a belly bag if I'm on a trip and it's really hot. With the IWB and my Sig P245, I find I can get to the piece quickly and draw. Once I've cleared the holster for a close threat I've mastered the motion of bringing the gun in tight to my chest by pivoting the muzzle into a sort of "retention" position and holding with the nonfiring hand more forward. It's a point shot that goes almost perfectly right thru the center of the drivers side window area. This is one reason I never carry a ported gun. If my shot needs to be aimed or presented at a different angle my alternative presentation involves slipping the muzzle to the steering wheel edge and following with the muzzle the outside rim in an arc across the front of my body to the required position. I'm very comfortable with both moves.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I can reach my strong side if remove the cover garment or lift the cover garment...sometimes I have placed the weapon under my leg...sometimes I put the holster and weapon between the seats.
    Each method allows me to retrieve my weapon rather quickly.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Car gun

I'm a lefty and there's just not a lot of room for a left handed draw from a left side IWB with the door in the way. I admit to keeping a dedicated car gun available. Yes, I'm aware of the risk of it getting stolen. I do lead a low profile lifestlye, no flashy car, and nothing in it that says "steal me", keep stuff off of the seats, don't leave laptop bag in view, etc. I used to keep a Charter .44 spl in my old car, but got a new one with smaller console and it won't fit. Right now I have an old Beretta 21A in a little pocket/ashtray thing, but am considering another .32 Kel Tec to match my BUG. All have in common the fact that they're easy to replace and I won't have much money in them. (The KT is a used rental at our range, the Beretta I got in a trade years ago). Also, If I do find myself out without a CCW on, like making a stop on the way to or from work while in uniform and a IWB Glock won't fly, I can drop it into a pocket for a quick trip into a store. You can't always count on the car as a weapon, even if it would be the best choice.

This is a scenario that ought to be trained. A few trial runs can quickly expose the less advantageous solutions to this particular problem. The solution that works pretty well for me: I carry my pistol at 9 o'clock (leftie) because I find that it's a much more natural and far quicker position from which to draw. Because I carry right on my side, I do not *pin* the gun against the seat with my back like those who carry more towards 6 o'clock. I've also find that when sitting in the car for long periods, it's easy to wrinkle/crease your cover garment from the weapon being compressed into it......so what I do is: (1) get into car, (2) pull cover garment up so that the pistol is actually free (it can not be seen by anybody outside of the vehicle). The cover garment no longer gets creased/wrinkled, and it is exceedingly simple to draw from this position.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    What was lost in the vehicle crash wasn't a firearm it was the GLASSES of one of the agents killed. He was one of the best shots on the team, but without the enhanced vision afforded by his glasses he simply couldn't see to make a shot without posing a severe risk to fellow agents or innocents in homes nearby. He was slaughtered by a suspect within moments. IIRC this was Agent Dove.
    It was Agent Grogan who lost his glasses, not Dove. Grogan's glasses weren't the only thing to get lost in the crashes that preceded the firefight: Agents Manauzzi and Hanlon both lost control of their weapons in the crash. Manauzzi was shot while unarmed and never really got into the fight. Hanlon drew his backup weapon (a 5 shot S&W snubbie) fired all five rounds, and was shot while trying to reload.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I carry the same way in the car that I do anywhere else -- IWB at one O'clock. Normally I position my shirt over this (untucked) although at night or in a bad area, I will tuck the shirt behind the holster. In this way, drawing is very fast, and is done the same as any other time (I am right handed, BTW). Not everyone likes appendix carry but it seems a good solution to quick access while driving.

I leave it in the holster, and I consider the car a weapon first and foremost. My dad taught me to think that way when I first started driving, both as a warning and as a way out of trouble, and the Army reinforced that line of thought. I also drive differently than most people. I am always looking for a way out of traffic if something happens. I stop short of the car in front, or a pole on the side of the road so I don't get blocked in. Obviously this doesn't work all the time, but often times it works out fine.

As a side note, I often pick up my girlfriend from work at a bank when it closes. She asked me one day when I pulled up (I park back a bit both so that the bank people comming out don't get spooked by some wierd guy reading in a car near the exit and so I can watch around me with clear lines of vision) why my seatbelt was off until she got in. I had to think about it because my seatbelt is on when I am in the car, all the time. I realised it was PSD training taking over. Many times until moving we had no seatbelt on in case the vehicle was disabled or attacked and we had to move around quickly.

As another thought, when going to the car I have my keys in my off hand, I put her in the car then walk around - usually the front (there is a solid chunk of metal there and its the more tamper friendly part of the car IMO) and then get in, start the car, put it in drive or reverse depending on where I am parked, put on the seatbelt and then drive off. That way if someone manages to sneak up and say, smash the window in with a baseball bat, I don't have to think much - just take my foot off the break and punch the gas. I have already looked to see what is behind / in front of for a distance to have some idea of how far I can go and what that can do for me in the event of a incident.

Paranoid? Feh. Its paranoid if you live in utopia, down next to la la land and nothing ever happens bad. Its always the other guy, or someone that "would never do that," that shows up in the news with dead bodies involved. I give up a little of my freedom in order to be safe. /shrug.

Sorry, that's a long post for me, I think I'll put my soap box up now folks

One of my guns is always on the seat next to me, sometimes covered with a T shirt, etc.

If I have a passenger, my gun is sitting upright in the indented drink holder right between the front seats. Many times, only a spread out Kleenex over it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links