How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you get to your gun while driving? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes I know what you mean about things going down REAL fast in a car. I was driving to Pennsylvania from Wisconsin ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I know what you mean about things going down REAL fast in a car.

I was driving to Pennsylvania from Wisconsin and right around 1 in the morning in south Chicago I missed my exit so I got off the next exit to try to turn around. Instead of finding a place I could get back on the highway I found myself SMACK DAB in the middle of Ghetto land. While attempting to turn around again in a gas station parking lot my car was rushed and completely surrounded by hoards of thugged-out black kids who started gesturing to me in anger and even hitting my windows and the hood of my car with their palms. I guess being the lone white, female face at 1 in the morning in south Chicago was the wrong place at the wrong time.

I was not armed (it was Illinois after all) and I determined that they would move or get run over as I was NOT stopping for ANYTHING.
    Last Fall I was on my new Goldwing bike, riding down I 80 Through Illinois, on my way home to NW Indiana.

Near the Indiana-Illinois border, I found there was a huge line of stopped cars blocking a mile or so of highway. It was due to many of them wanting to access a toll road ahead that led around Chicago and to Wisconsin. This traffic had to stop at a toll booth.

Checking my gas, I found my gas meter pointing to almost empty, and not knowing how long I would be stuck in line, I took the last exit off I80. I found myself in a black town. The gas station I had pulled into was populated by all blacks. A fist fight was going on just to the side of my bike, a bunch of hip-hop punks eyed me as they switched their eyes momentarily from the bloody fight to me and my bike. Prostitutes were giving me the eye, figuring no white guy would be there except for them. Because I was traveling in Illinois, I was totally unarmed, standing there bare butt naked, filling a brand new $25,000 bright and shiny motorcycle with gas. A bike loaded with extras, like lights and doo-dads everywhere.

I would have given almost anything to have had my Colt Commander on me. I did get out alive and in one piece. It seems that most of the crowd was more interested in the fight than in me.

Another point, inside the station the clerks were behind bullet proof glass.

NEVER do I ever ride again in Illinois within a 50 mile radius of Chicago's south suburbs.

And - before I ride in Illinois again, I'm going to call the Illinois State Police and get the definitive word on transporting a weapon through Illinois by a non Illinois citizen.

2. Remove Ads

When I get into my car for any length of time like my commute to work I carry my G27 in an ankle holster. While sitting in the car that is very fast on presentation. If it is just a short trip it stays in the Maxcon V at 4 o'clock.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Very good point. If I am carrying my S&W 642, I am pocket carrying, which means that I can't get to my gun very easily. Because of your post, from now on when I am carrying the 642, it will be in the storage compartment between the two front seats. I could get to it very quickly there.

Ron
    What if road rage or a carjacking leads to you being pulled from the vehicle? Or you have to get out quickly? Your gun is left in the car.
    If traveling a long ways, I put my gun in a drivers holster with cross draw. If I'm in a safe area, I keep it IWB. But however I'm carrying in the car, its always on me, never just in the car.

How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    What if road rage or a carjacking leads to you being pulled from the vehicle? Or you have to get out quickly? Your gun is left in the car.
    One of the most important things to remember - along with your cell phone and weapon, is to lock the dang doors of the car - ALWAYS.

Even with the windows half open, they'll have a time reaching through for you.

But, in Indiana, as I posted elsewhere, if someone attempts to car jack you, their butt is yours - legally.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I usually have an SP101 in the side pocket of my truck door. When I exit the truck, it goes in the front pocket or the cargo pocket of my pants. This is in addition to the Kimber Pro Raptor in the pancake holster on my strong side.

I've practiced drawing my weapon while seated in the Jeep with the seatbelt buckled. I have gotten pretty good at it, at least enough to know I can draw and engage in a second or two.

But, if I am in the car and it is still running, my first defensive tactic is to dry ti drive the heck out of the area as fast as possible. Drawing is just a last resort, as always, because, if the car is disabled and I am strapped in, it is going to be hard to get to cover. You are pretty much trapped. Getting the heck out of there is always the best option.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I live in Central Florida, which by the way the FBI has deemed it necessary to send in additional agents to try and curb the crime. I am very aware of the need to be alert at all times and I preach that to my wife as well. I personally carry concealed with a OWB Desantis speed holster under my sport coat and when I enter my vehicle I move it to the outside pocket of my briefcase. I have a great situation with a black nylon briefcase that sits on its side facing me with easy access to my weapon. It also works good when the situation does not allow for body concealment so I put my weapon in my brief which always goes with me. As a footnote, if I have a passenger with me I do move the weapon back into the OWB which is not quite as easy but still very efficient.
    In your darkest hour, always remember someone is coming for you and that you are never truly alone.......

NRA member
    NRA Business Alliance member

Question WHAT IS THE FBI DOING IN Central FL?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacticalmind View Post
    I live in Central Florida, which by the way the FBI has deemed it necessary to send in additional agents to try and curb the crime.
    This is NEWS to me! What mandate do they have to attempt to stop street level crime without a FEDERAL link? I mean I remember in the 1980s when the situation in SOUTH Florida was so bad they brought in a special cadre of staties to handle nothing but traffic stuff, thus freeing up the locals to concentrate on felonies. They paid cops 3x overtime and the best hotels in the area put them up for FREE...including meals. They worked 6 days a week in 12 hour shifts for six months but it WORKED.

The only down side was needed recreation for them in their off time. NOBODY brought their personal vehicles. So what do they do if they want to party? Answer: A bunch of troopers pile into ONE patrol vehicle and hit the town. Thank goodness those southern boys could all hold their liquor! Imagine being a cop and seeing the vehicle you're about to pull over for weaving in the lane is a state trooper patrol car! They were all Good Ol BOYS from the panhandle.

I remember this happened when I was a state parole officer. One day I'm coming home from the jail in downtown and I see this poor old trooper stopped on the side of the road and he has this GIANT map of the county spread over the hood of his car. Obviously lost. So I pull over and help him out. Showed him MY badge and we got to talking. He was chewing tobacco and spittin' all over the place. Wore cowboy boots.

I asked him how he was dealing with the language barriers and the "diversity" issues. He grinned and said that it was his experience that most latinos in the area speak a lot more English than they let on (this has been my experience too living here my whole life) and when he stops one who gives him the "no peekie engli" stuff he looks at them and drawls: Gee you sure are stupid. Your mother was probably stupid, too! He said if they suddenly look real mean he knows they know what's up.

But that was STATE TROOPERS dealing with STATE crimes. What the heck is the FBI doing in Central Florida?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    One reason why I like my bellyband is the ability to "peel" my gun out of it, which is very handy when I'm strapped to a seatbelt.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    But that was STATE TROOPERS dealing with STATE crimes. What the heck is the FBI doing in Central Florida?
    I don't know about the FBI, but OPD and surrounding localities are swamped. Last night some kids stole a guy's truck from a gas station (drive had left keys in the ignition) and found the .40 cal. handgun he left in it and did at least two drive-bys. When the cops arrested them, they caught two or three other people who were B&E nearby houses. Talk about serendipity.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    What the heck is the FBI doing in Central Florida?
    With the substantial increase in violent crimes especially in the Orlando area, the FBI have targeted Orlando. Also, they have targeted two or three other cities around the country to send in their troops as well. I just know Orlando is one of them and the others escape me.
    In your darkest hour, always remember someone is coming for you and that you are never truly alone.......

NRA member
    NRA Business Alliance member

I believe the FBI may be particularly interested in the rise of interstate gang activities as well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

1-1.5 seconds. I keep it in a holster I have mounted beside where my right leg goes under the dash while driving.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

In our car I have a handgun in a door bin, available immediately. In my pickup the gun is on the seat beneath some sort of paperwork and can magically appear in my hand instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    ...In my pickup the gun is on the seat beneath some sort of paperwork and can magically appear in my hand instantly.

You might want to read about Spl. Agent Richard Manauzzi's experience during the infamous FBI Miami Shootout in 1986.

Agent Manauzzi's vehicle was involved in "minor" fender bender with the suspect vehicle during the felony car stop and he lost his gun for the duration of the gunfight because he had his gun on the seat next to him (expecting trouble, he wanted to have it ready so he removed it from his holster).

As his fellow agents were being gunned down, he was scrambling to find his gun, lost somewhere in the car. He never did find it before the fight was over.

Manauzzi did not have a back-up gun, never fired a shot, and almost got killed in the battle. (5 agents wounded including himself, 2 agents killed and only 1 of the 8 total agents was uninjured.)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links