How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you get to your gun while driving? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was driving to one of our remote offices, which requires me to drive through a rough area of Kansas City. A very rough ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How quickly can you get to your gun while driving?

Yesterday I was driving to one of our remote offices, which requires me to drive through a rough area of Kansas City. A very rough area, actually. While driving through a residential area on my way to the office, I noticed a large crowd of men gathered in the road and on the shoulders. I could tell by the gigantic t-shirts, baggy pants, and lopsided ballcaps that most of them were a bit on the thuggish side. Even though I was going only 25mph, I had maybe 5 seconds to react to the crowd because there was a hill just before this spot. I was wearing a lightweight rain jacket over my gun, but it was zipped up, so as soon as I saw the crowd I unzipped my jacket, reached inside and adjusted my gun to an easy position.

The crowd parted and nothing happened. A few hand gestures (gang signs I presume) and a lot of staring, but other than that I didn't have anything to worry about. They seemed to be enjoying a party at a nearby house (during mid-week working hours, go figure), and I didn't noticed any overt hostility or violence, other than the hand gestures. Perhaps those hand gestures are considered friendly greetings in that part of town. Still, the incident made me think about what I do with my gun while driving. Typically I take it off when I get to work and put it in my glove box and lock the glove box. If I have to leave our main office and go to a remote site, I unlock the glove box but I don't put the gun back on. Thankfully I have been getting better about making sure the glove box is unlocked, but even if the glove was unlocked, how quickly could I open the glove, grab the gun, and then yank it from the holster?

This incident has shown me how quickly something could happen even while in the car. I didn't see any signs of hostility, but what if someone had stepped in front of my car and I was forced to stop? Someone else could easily smash a window in or just step up to the car with a gun. I have often told myself I would just run over someone if they tried that crap with me, but having been in this spot I can see how I might not even have time to do that.

One of the great things about this forum is that it allows us to pool our experiences into one place, and everyone can benefit from the experience of one person. This experience has taught me that the best place to have a gun is on your body, even while driving.

Immediately. I change from strong side to weak side cross draw when driving

Too long. IWB 3:30ish. Moving the gun when I get in and out would be a huge pain (especially in busy lots, people could see)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Too long. IWB 3:30ish. Moving the gun when I get in and out would be a huge pain (especially in busy lots, people could see)
    Thank god I live in an open carry state where I can do so without people freaking out.

Assistant Administrator
    I carry 3.30 but the way I arrange cover garment and set the seat belt once in - I am still able to make a draw fairly fast. Not as free of course as when not sitting but it works.

At times such as those described it could also be useful to at least get hand on the piece or even draw and place between legs. Should be discrete enough not to draw attention from any other parties, unless doing that when a bus is right next to you!!

I have given thought to affixing a rig somewhere onto the inside of cab, effectively outa sight but within easy reach. I don't travel as much these days so haven't gotten to doing it, yet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I know what you mean about things going down REAL fast in a car.

I was driving to Pennsylvania from Wisconsin and right around 1 in the morning in south Chicago I missed my exit so I got off the next exit to try to turn around. Instead of finding a place I could get back on the highway I found myself SMACK DAB in the middle of Ghetto land. While attempting to turn around again in a gas station parking lot my car was rushed and completely surrounded by hoards of thugged-out black kids who started gesturing to me in anger and even hitting my windows and the hood of my car with their palms. I guess being the lone white, female face at 1 in the morning in south Chicago was the wrong place at the wrong time.

I was not armed (it was Illinois after all) and I determined that they would move or get run over as I was NOT stopping for ANYTHING. After nudging a couple of guys out of the way with my front bumper they parted and I drove away and FINALLY found the Highway and exit I needed, but it was a hair-raising experience anyway.

If simply driving from here to there and knowingly not passing through any questionable neighborhoods I don't bother changing my mode of carry.

If I'm going to be in a car for a long period of time and I'm not sure what I'm going to be driving through I wear my shoulder holster to provide for quick cross draws.. That and it's much more comfortable than sitting on a gun for hours at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Thank god I live in an open carry state where I can do so without people freaking out.
    I, too, live in an open carry state, but I still don't want anyone to see it because some do freak out. I carry mine IWB at the 3:30-4 o'clock position and with a car with sport bucket seats, accurately gripping and presenting it quickly is kind of difficult. I am now seriously reconsidering getting a shoulder holster because I spend more time in my car than anywhere else while I'm "out and about". I have until now deigned shoulder holsters tactically disadvantageous because of the method of weapon presentation, but not being able to reach the pistol quickly is just a bad if I've got a seat bolster and seatbelt buckle blocking my draw.
    Last edited by Juggernaut; May 16th, 2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Ron
    Very good point. If I am carrying my S&W 642, I am pocket carrying, which means that I can't get to my gun very easily. Because of your post, from now on when I am carrying the 642, it will be in the storage compartment between the two front seats. I could get to it very quickly there.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

i remove weapon and holster when i enter my vehicle. i then place it between the driver's seat and the center console. the holster clips quite conveniently to the side of the driver's seat.

Hey McNab... I'm from KC and know exactly what you mean. What cross streets were you at if you don't mind saying...

Mojoski made a very good post on how he was able to mount his kydex holster that came with his XD9sc to an area of the dash below his steering wheel. Very detailed instructions. Very quick access and fairly well concealed from casual onlookers. I think for people who spend a lot of time in the vehicle, this would be prudent.

When he leaves the car, his gun either goes on his body or he will secure it inside a vehicle lock box. I am planning on doing the same thing with my XD when it arrives as I travel fairly frequently.

I will post the link to that thread below. Note: He has pictures posted on his Yahoo site so see post #29 in his original thread for a link to the photos.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13037
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I simply move my cover garment out of the way when I get in.

All I then need to do is lean fwd a little and reach to my 4 with my right hand. Falls right on the butt of the gun.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter. The car is a better weapon than your gun. Moving is more important than shooting, and shooting from inside the vehicle while behind the steering wheel limits your range of motion, and fields of fire. I've never seen a vehicle that wasn't a bullet magnent and the passenger compartment is one big fatal funnel.

Practice your driving skills and practice your dismounting and shooting on the move skills for when you can't apply your driving skills.

Like I said, my opinion.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    kikr, driving and ramming are always better than shooting. But sometimes traffic hems you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    I simply move my cover garment out of the way when I get in.

All I then need to do is lean fwd a little and reach to my 4 with my right hand. Falls right on the butt of the gun.
    Pretty much what I do, except mine is around 3-3:30. Luckily my seatbelt doesn't seem to interfere and I barely need to lean at all. When my top and doors are off (Jeep Wrangler), I still move my shirt out of the way, but barely laying over the butt of the gun. My center console keeps it hidden well enough from anyone looking in from the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by kikr View Post
    Just my opinion, but it doesn't matter. The car is a better weapon than your gun. Moving is more important than shooting, and shooting from inside the vehicle while behind the steering wheel limits your range of motion, and fields of fire. I've never seen a vehicle that wasn't a bullet magnent and the passenger compartment is one big fatal funnel.

Practice your driving skills and practice your dismounting and shooting on the move skills for when you can't apply your driving skills.

Like I said, my opinion.

Very good post kikr... and I agree 100% and I have even been to tactical driving classes... I utilize my vehicle tactically as much as possible.

However, there are always the "unseen" circumstance that may have you in a situation where you need "quick access" to a weapon while inside a vehicle. The way I carry my primary ccw weapon for best concealment makes it difficult for me to draw from my seated and seatbelted position in a vehicle.

I learned from the late 1980's FBI shootout in Miami, where Agent Manauzzi lost his only weapon because he had it laying on the seat next to him when they got into a fender bender with the suspects vehicle during the felony car stop. He was out of the fight for the duration and damn near got killed himself because of that one tactical mistake! So I now know having a "loose gun" floating around inside a car is not an option either.

If I have to dismount from my vehicle to engage or find better cover, It is again, easier and quicker to pull my BUG from the dash mounted position below the steering wheel "as I exit the vehicle" as opposed to going for my primary after I exit.

It is just what works for me. It allows me another option and way of deploying a back-up weapon. Nothing more or less... I will always use the vehicle itself in a tactical manner when it is appropriate and practical to do so.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 16th, 2007 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo & grammer
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links