The longer shot - Page 2

The longer shot

This is a discussion on The longer shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Packin if you can shoot at and hit a lemon at 50 hats off , and remember that 400+ is just elevation . if you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The longer shot

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Packin if you can shoot at and hit a lemon at 50 hats off , and remember that 400+ is just elevation . if you can shoot a lemon at 50 you can shoot a head( cantalope ) at a quarter mile .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Packin if you can shoot at and hit a lemon at 50 hats off , and remember that 400+ is just elevation . if you can shoot a lemon at 50 you can shoot a head( cantalope ) at a quarter mile .
    LOL Sorry - I guess I need to clear that one up...I hit lemons at 25, although when I go for 50 it's usually paperplates...sorry for the confusion...I'm good but not that good. I suppose I could hit them once in a while...I just never bothered running the lemons out that far since my accuracy goes down at that kind of distance with plates. So I just never bothered. Next trip to sleepy creek I may just have to run some out and see how I do. 25 is a definite no problem though. I do real well with those little midget sized clays(the little silver dollar sized ones) too. I just line em up along the top of the 25yrd berm and wedge em into the mud....but as has been said around here before...hitting a static target and hitting a moving one(or while you're on the move yourself) are two very different things.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    The FBI and DEA qual courses include a few shots from 50 yards. Not that that really means anything, but there it is... :)

When I first started shooting pistols a lot, after spending the majority of my time behind rifles and machine guns, 25 yards seemed ridiculously close. Any closer seemed like a waste of time, the targets were so BIG and RIGHT THERE. Of course, as soon as I moved out of aimed, slow fire with nice, long barreled M9s, I realized how difficult shooting at even extreme close ranges can be, if the appropriate stressors are in place.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well,..... I shot my first IDPA event last week. One stage was a single target set at 60'. We were to shoot 6 rounds standing, 6 kneeling and 6 from prone. Lets just say that I need to practice more at that range. I shot very respectfully at ranges from 25feet and closer. But of the 18 shots from my XD .40 I hit the target 7 times. all hits were low left in the -1 and -3 area. I will from this point be shooting at least a mag or 2 at 75 feet. (max dist of my indoor range).

Thanks
    MikeV

Senior Moderator
    I'll shoot my Sig 220 out to 100 occasionally.

On a B27 I can usally keep them center of mass with no problem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I'm all for the distance shots, and also shooting from or at a elevated position changes things too.
    The risk factor is also greatly increased with more distance.

Also, you would be suprised at the guys who can shoot impressive scores at a distance, but are worthless up close. It is a whole different ball game.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I always imagine a situation in a mall type setting where a gunman is standing /walking and firing at anything that moves and I am behind cover observing.

At that point it would be nice to know what your limitations are. Exactly what can you do with your carry weapon? Can you safely take a shot from 30 yards?

I train out to 30 yards. Just like Lima said "If you can make a good defensive shot at 25+ yards, imagine what you could do at 7".
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    I train out to 30 yards. Just like Lima said "If you can make a good defensive shot at 25+ yards, imagine what you could do at 7".
    At 7", I think I might bite the BG instead...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Whats the risk of the shot If you miss ?do you hit friendlys
    Do you expose youself to return fire ?
    Useing a rest I can put 7 rds in 4" with my T380
    at 25 yds .I feel good about a Center Punch on the
    BG .
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

The pistol range here was set distances of 25 and 50 yards for years. So I shoot 25yds regularly, though they do have a 15 yrd setup now.

I shoot 50 yds with my snubby and can hit pretty well at that range. If given a frontal or rear shot I would be confident if the perp was staionary. Unlikely that will happen, but I could do, but would likely need to brace on something to steady my hand, given the expected effects of adrenaline.

If the perp were turned 90 degrees and/or moving, I wouldn't risk it unless supressive fire or distraction was necessary for some reason and the danger of hiting bystanders was negligable.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

The last time I was at the range, I shot a few mags through my G19 at some empty .5 litre water bottles, unsupported, just to see what I could do. Managed to get hits about 30% of the time I would say. Encouraging, but not outstanding. I definately intend to practice this more. Like most have said, you never know at what you range might HAVE to take a shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links