The longer shot

This is a discussion on The longer shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Overall we all agree I think that should an ''encounter'' be unavoidable it will almost certainly within close distance. To this end we have discussed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The longer shot

Assistant Administrator

The longer shot

Overall we all agree I think that should an ''encounter'' be unavoidable it will almost certainly within close distance. To this end we have discussed in the past how longer shots might be unlikely - apart from legal connotations if employed.

However - it did occur to me to imagine a situation where you are at an upstairs window - shall we say first floor - and witness a BG or BG's down below, engaging in lethal force on innocents - actually shooting and endangering lives.

Leaving aside your personal take on getting involved or not - it does strike me that this (unlikely I agree) situation could make it well worth our whiles to at least have some training in longer shots out to say ... 25 yards or so. At least know where your carry piece shoots when stretched for distance.

Just might be useful if all that was between the BG's and dead people, was you and your longer range shot potential. I always check out my 25 yard shooting - with any gun I carry - just ''because''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Even 50 yrds is not unreasonable to try your hand. While engaging at that distance may not be needed, what if someone has a long gun?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Chris back when i was training officers we shot a course that extended to 25 yards for the annual qualification ( with other ongoing quals at closer range , and less rounds ) The only reason i restricted it to 25 was the limitations of the square range i had to qualify officers on by policy . We did have workshop days where we would " turky shoot " out to 50 with prises such as engraved cross pen sets ect. to the winner(s) of specific drills . the training days became quite popular and as a result all shot better .

for myself i shoot 5 gallon buckets out past 100 yards with a 5" .45 or my carry kahr . for the mag revolvers i work out to 1/4 mile just for the fun of it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JD
    Administrator
    That is mainly why I prefer a full size gun or at least something with a 4" bbl or greater. I may never need to shoot to that distance, but it's a darn good thing to know that you can do it.

There are some guns that I know can perfrom at 25 yards exceptionally well, most of my pistols can. I think the only gun I carry that I would not tust at 25 yards is my S&W 642.

I came from the school of thought that shooting your ememy at the greatest distance possible is the best way to go. While I know that in a SD situation it will be much closer, as Chris stated sometimes there may be situations which will require a longer shot.

Assistant Administrator
    I used to shoot a lotta PPC and that runs to 50 yards ...... very interesting!!!

I also used to shoot literal long range pistol - which was 100 and 300 yards. That is stretching things a bit but - whatever - certainly IMO - good to know with gun and ammo load - just what will occur when pushing out beyond ''normal'' combat ranges.

If gun capacity is good then I used a ''bracketing'' approach. meaning probably a three shot string, taking a slightly higher compensatory hold and zipping up from there. Windage tho is harder to deal with if sights not dead on left to right.
    Chris - P95

Often, at our local USPSA shoots, there will be a stage with, up to, 50 yard shots. It's good training.
    I have a rockpile 65 yards from my steel plate in the pasture. Every time I shoot in the pasture, I shoot a few from there.
    Dave

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yea chris i have a founding in pistol silhouette and have applyed some of the lessons to carry gun/ctg combos . Not much chance of needing a pistol at 50+ but then if i played the odds , there honestly is not much chance of needing it at all on any given day .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    My take on the whole issue is this...

If you can make a good defensive shot at 25+ yards, imagine what you could do at 7.

Practicing the long distance shots is just plain practical. It forces you to hone your skills to a level that could save your life even at a close range by steadying your hand and forcing you to concentrate on the basics.

Though it's true that most encounters are within 10 yards, practicing for the longer shot should be part of the defensive carrier's routine target shooting.

Assistant Administrator
    You got it lima ... yes, I honestly do feel it is worth us including it in our regimen of training and practice. Just so we ''know''.
    Chris - P95

I too like to shoot out to 25 yards. That's as far as I can get at the ranges I use. I do alright when noone is shooting back.

On the flip side, When I first started shooting I thought I should do all of my shooting way out, figuting that if I can hit it out there, then I can hit it close up. What I found is that when I did bring the target in close, getting my sight picture was un-natural and thus a bit slower. Go figure. I now try to randomize my distance a bit, from waay close (1 yard. Thats still kinda wierd) to 25 yds , but usually under 10 yards.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I used to just laugh at the new troops when I would make them back up to 50 yards and shoot kneeing and prone with their shiny new semi's most would opine that "you can't hit the target from here"

Then I would go prone and use my old 4" pencil barrel 10, was a hoot

I once watch Mr.Drummond and Bryce clean a 60 yard FBI course of fire with a 2" Colt Dick SPl and a K frame round butt model 10.

IT can be done

Try it with a target at 100 yards, you may surprise yourself!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Start at 6-8 inches high and tweak from there, 50 yd shots should be easy to learn with 4-6 inch barreled handgun.

Lead Moderator
    Being an old "Bullseye" shooter, all of my pistols have been shot at 25 yards, most have also been fired at 50, or are in line to be!

(Of course the emphasis now being on the "old", I do much better at 25 these days. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

just more fun training for me. It's fun and it might actually be usefull someday. I regularly go for 50 with my 1911's and I'm not too bad on the 25yrd line for shooting lemons repetatively. I'm usually 6 for 8 at the worst with one mag even in my shorter (4") kimber.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links