The ONE time I left without my gun. - Page 2

The ONE time I left without my gun.

This is a discussion on The ONE time I left without my gun. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier 5'7", 140 pounds. Does carrying a 45 make you 6'6" and add 100 pounds? You are who and what you are. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    5'7", 140 pounds. Does carrying a 45 make you 6'6" and add 100 pounds?

You are who and what you are. Period. It's attitude and confidence that makes predators take a second look and decide it's not worth it to strike...
    ExSoldier is right,

I know a female Florida Fish and Wildlife Officer who is an Advanced National Trainer for National Law Enforcement Training Center. She teaches all disciplines of the curriculum which is close to 30 disciplines.

Probably 5'6" and 120 lbs. soaking wet and could probaby kick most peoples butt 3 times her size in unarmed combat. Just the way she carries herself is "No Victim Here... Move Along!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I Feel Your Pain...

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    5'7", 140 pounds. Does carrying a 45 make you 6'6" and add 100 pounds?

You are who and what you are. Period. It's attitude and confidence that makes predators take a second look and decide it's not worth it to strike. I used to be a State Probation and Parole Officer. Back then they weren't armed by dept policy. My bosses agreed that since I had the worst of the worst on my client lists, IF I wanted on specific occasions, I could carry my 1911. If I had to shoot the bosses would back me up since the laws said I was a certified Law Enforcement Officer. It was just dept POLICY that prohibited arming officers. There were often times I went deep into "Indian Country" unarmed. Not everybody is impressed by the local P.O. I made certain that my "clients" knew that if anybody messed with me I'd be sure and take it out on THEM. They were pretty good about whipping the neighborhood into line. Still, a lot of folks who weren't impressed by my client list would have enjoyed tuning me up, just for kicks. I was never challenged.

Today I work in an inner city high school and I'm disarmed daily by the law. The area surrounding the school is a DMZ and the thugs are in my classrooms. In the past eleven years many teachers have been assaulted and some of these punks are HUGE. I have never been touched but I've been TRIED plenty of times. I find standing your ground with calm determination and an unflinching attitude of preparation gets their attention. That and the fact of showing my students my old military photo album. It was decades ago but they don't seem to notice. My bearing is the same as it was then. I guess you can take the boy out of the army but....The personal attitude you project when you're armed should be exactly the same as when you're not.

One more thing, I spent some time as a bouncer in a chic Coconut Grove club frequented by the cocaine cowboys here in Miami during the 1980's. There were fights every night. I find that drunks are pretty easy to handle: They're uncoordinated, and off balance. They can't think straight and often "telegraph" their intentions with body language before they attack. Of course the down side is that they feel no pain. You could break every bone in the body and they won't scream until the morning and they wake up...sober. But they will still react often to non-lethal defense methods like a good stun gun (or TASER) or even OC. Sometimes they can be impressed with the sudden presentation of an expandable baton like an ASP.
    I have several thugs in my classes too...some have been taken out in handcuffs...I've been tried...but never successfully, they just don't seem to know what this 60 year old, fat, bald guy is REALLY capable of...not really sure myself, but I'll go down trying!

So far, I've seemed to earn the respect of the 'leaders'...that helps!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ryan,
    Do you not have a cell phone? That is just as important as a weapon.
    You would not need to ask someone to call the police. Also if you have to use your weapon You get to be the first complaintant. Which makes you more of a good guy. Take a good CCW course.
    Glad it worked out OK. Always look 'em in the eye.

Semper Fi

When you see BGs hawking you know they are actively looking for the slightest sign of weakness/intimidation specifically will you fold and how easy of a mark/target are you.
    Recognizing their presence and observation of you by stating hello/whats up/goodmorning/whatever will on the streets be taken as a sign of weakness/being chumped. I'm not surprised at the results upon your opening of dialog with them.

Next time just keep on walking going about your business, untill the hyena come barking at you directly.
    Also don't go to gas stations after the witching hour unless you absolutely have to.

I'm glad you made it through.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If my tank is on empty, I would still wait til morning to fill up. If I need food at that time of night, I'd much be at Wally Martinez. I am hispanic, so it helps to look like the "locals" here in SouthWest Houston.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links