The ONE time I left without my gun.

This is a discussion on The ONE time I left without my gun. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, we all hear of the "You can't plan a disaster" phrase. Well tonight it nearly turned out that way! I don't have my CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ONE time I left without my gun.

The ONE time I left without my gun.

Well, we all hear of the "You can't plan a disaster" phrase. Well tonight it nearly turned out that way! I don't have my CCW yet, but I always bring my pistol with me in my car. I park my car to where if I need it, I can get back to to it quickly and I always keep my key in hand.

Well about 1 AM, I rode down to the local hole in the wall gas station. I live in a rather crummy area full of scum, child molesters and hicks with complete disregard for the law. Well I pull up, and there's a truck next to me with a bunch of "good ol boys" in it. They had the doors open and were all listening to music and lounging around. One was outside leaning against the wall, they were all eyeballing me. I walked by and politely said "Good morning." The one against the wall got in my personal space and I could smell the alcohol. He was also holding a Coca-Cola bottle that appeared to have something other than Coke in it. He started shouting obscenities, and thats normally when I would have gone back to my car and tried to leave. Well, tonight is the ONE night I didn't bring my pistol. It has some problems that I discovered earlier today and I don't trust it. It still fires, and it would have been better than nothing in retrospect. There were other people at this gas station so I made my way inside since the door was closer. He didn't follow me inside and I told the clerk. The clerk basically acted like she didn't care, and said they'd been trying to start fights all night long! Well, God was on my side tonight and my friend happened to be there. He was packing and has plenty more where that came from in his truck. He walked me over to my van so I could leave, as they were trying to pick fights with him too, he hopped in my van and I drove him across the lot to his truck to avoid walking past them again. We both left and called the police, so I hope they showed up and arrested them.

Thankfully no weapons were needed, but if my friend wasn't there, I would've been in some trouble. No phone, no weapon, a clerk that didn't care, and I had to walk right past them again to get to my car. It was one of those times where you can just feel something bad was about to happen, and I'm a small guy, 140 lbs and 5' 7". These guys were huge.

Bottom line:
    DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR WEAPON, I NEVER WILL AGAIN!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Is your FL CCW license in the process of getting to you?

If not, you'd better hurry to get it. .

If you've processed and paid, I hope it gets to you very very soon.

Carry, and be safe.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Great advice.

Like some very wise sage said on here months ago: "If I'm wearing pants, I'm carrying".

It only takes one time.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm glad things didn't go south on you. In the future, though, pistol with you or not, you might consider finding a better place or time to gas up.

Lead Moderator
    If getting gas is that important, perhaps a better location might be needed. I would have demanded the clerk to call PD, once someone was looking for a fight with or without my gun on me.
    You cannot use deadly force without good reason and drunks have poor judgment.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Glad to hear you got out of that one. I at least always have a knife in my pocket or inside my waistband....I feel naked if I don't have my watch or my knife...I would say my pistol, but I haven't carried long enough to get that feeling yet.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Administrator
    Glad that everything worked out OK.
    Hope that you get your LTC soon as it sounds like you truly need it where you're living right now.
    In the meantime buy yourself a can of Fox Labs OC spray as that will buy you some critical time and will usually make it easier for you to strategically exit a dangerous situation if you are unarmed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

You need to make sure to tell the manager, THEN THE OWNER of this "fine" establishment.

Managers may not care, but you can always say "they got their chance".... the owner usually does care. Let him know.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Assistant Administrator
    With apologies to those who do not carry all the times they could ............. it is their choice.

I carry all waking hours as many folks know .. and it is NOT because I am in high crime land. Heck I am at home most of each day.

However ....... the last thing I ever want to happen, on that day in a million when I am facing my life being extinguished ... is to reach down and find an empty holster or no holster at all.

I do not therefore have to make an effort to remember when I go out, to ''strap it on'' .... I know anyways I could forget. It is like my wrist watch - always there .... and so the same way I can check time any time - so too can I reach down and know my lifeline is there.

I fully expect to join the worm food menu with no recourse to such action - sure hope so. But out of two epitaphs would prefer this one ...."He went down fighting against unbeatable odds" - and not this one! - "Died because of the one time he forgot to be armed"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

To tell the truth, I can count at least 5 or 6 occasions within the last 6 months that something similar has happened to me. I live over 40 miles from the nearest meaningful store or town, in Fountain outside of Panama City. My only choice at night is to hit up the 24/7 gas station thats a few miles from home. I wasn't gassing up, my little brothers had a friend over (celebrating their summer break) and we were all rocking out the Xbox Live, having a good time. I went out to replenish the chip / soda supply. :)

I almost forgot to add, the moron spit his drink at me as I was walking inside the store. I'm glad none of it hit me, but his buddies started laughing which made me THAT much more upset. I'm just glad my friend happened to be there at 1 AM.

As a "good ol' boy", I'm glad you got out of it OK. You didn't get hurt, and it sounds like you learned something.

VIP Member
    I commend your friend for not branishing his weapon. You both were able to leave without having to resort to that. Its sometimes a fine line and sometimes that line is mighty fine.

5'7", 140 pounds. Does carrying a 45 make you 6'6" and add 100 pounds?

You are who and what you are. Period. It's attitude and confidence that makes predators take a second look and decide it's not worth it to strike. I used to be a State Probation and Parole Officer. Back then they weren't armed by dept policy. My bosses agreed that since I had the worst of the worst on my client lists, IF I wanted on specific occasions, I could carry my 1911. If I had to shoot the bosses would back me up since the laws said I was a certified Law Enforcement Officer. It was just dept POLICY that prohibited arming officers. There were often times I went deep into "Indian Country" unarmed. Not everybody is impressed by the local P.O. I made certain that my "clients" knew that if anybody messed with me I'd be sure and take it out on THEM. They were pretty good about whipping the neighborhood into line. Still, a lot of folks who weren't impressed by my client list would have enjoyed tuning me up, just for kicks. I was never challenged.

Today I work in an inner city high school and I'm disarmed daily by the law. The area surrounding the school is a DMZ and the thugs are in my classrooms. In the past eleven years many teachers have been assaulted and some of these punks are HUGE. I have never been touched but I've been TRIED plenty of times. I find standing your ground with calm determination and an unflinching attitude of preparation gets their attention. That and the fact of showing my students my old military photo album. It was decades ago but they don't seem to notice. My bearing is the same as it was then. I guess you can take the boy out of the army but....The personal attitude you project when you're armed should be exactly the same as when you're not.

One more thing, I spent some time as a bouncer in a chic Coconut Grove club frequented by the cocaine cowboys here in Miami during the 1980's. There were fights every night. I find that drunks are pretty easy to handle: They're uncoordinated, and off balance. They can't think straight and often "telegraph" their intentions with body language before they attack. Of course the down side is that they feel no pain. You could break every bone in the body and they won't scream until the morning and they wake up...sober. But they will still react often to non-lethal defense methods like a good stun gun (or TASER) or even OC. Sometimes they can be impressed with the sudden presentation of an expandable baton like an ASP.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    The clerk basically acted like she didn't care, and said they'd been trying to start fights all night long!
    Sounds like you should be telling this to the owner, then, along with some details about what you'll be doing to avoid giving them any more business.

If they're displaying any big oil company logo, it could also be worth a copy to the investor relations address.

I do night security in Panama City and have done bouncing here too. I know how to deal with people, but I was alone, there were 4 guys, one drunk and the rest appeared to be sober, and the one confronting me didn't seem to be defenseless, he appeared to be wild/rampant and ready to start swinging like a wild buck. He was obviously drunk but not near the mark of "I can't fight, I'm too drunk."

I don't care about the store, I'll never go there again. Its a hole in the wall place and there are no major oil signs anywhere. The gas pumps themselves look prehistoric, I'd be scared to pump gas out of one... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links