Defensive Carry banner

Scenario: Restaurant Robbery

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Euclidean 
#1 ·
I don't think we have done one of these in a while, so here goes. The setting is real, but the event is totally fictitious. It just occurred to me today as I was waiting for another person to join me for lunch.

You are seated in a booth at a restaurant. The room's layout is common, with tables in the middle and booths along the walls. You are facing the entrance (out of habit), and are in the fifth booth from the entrance. The door to the kitchen is the only other visible exit - it is about 50 feet behind you. All the booths and tables are occupied. While you wait, you are reading your paper and during one of your frequent room scans you notice a man standing next to the first booth, one hand in his jacket pocket and one hand holding an open-top briefcase. His dress and demeanor is such that he could be one of the patrons. The man in the booth looks startled, then drops his wallet and cell phone into the "visitor's" briefcase. The visitor then appears to thank him and moves to the next booth.

At the second booth, the scene is repeated. The man moves to the third booth. Now he is close enough for you to hear the conversation. He says "Do as I say and nobody gets hurt. Drop your wallet and cell phone into the bag, sir. You too, ma'am." They hesitate and glance at each other, then back to the visitor. He briefly withdraws his hand from his pocket enough so that you clearly see a handgun. There is no orange cap on the muzzle, and it is a model that you are familiar with. This, in your judgement, is the real thing.

The couple comply. The gun goes back into the pocket. None of the rest of the patrons have noticed what is going on. All of the previous victims are sitting as still as statues. He says "I'll be gone in a minute. Don't move until I'm out the door. Do you understand?" They nod. He moves to the next booth, adjacent to yours. He is now standing eight feet away, facing the booth, and starting to repeat his routine.

Freeze frame. Just to make things interesting, and encourage creative thought, instead of saying what you would do, let's hear some ideas on what you could do.

Lights...camera...action!

SSKC

See less See more
#2 ·
Since I've got "advanced" notice he's the "real McCoy"... I could pull the scene from the first Star Wars where Han Solo is at the table with the Bounty Hunter....that is, draw my gun under the table and wait for his "line"...then commence to emptying my magazine into the SOB, eject, load another magazine, then commence to emptying my magazine into the SOB, eject, load my last magazine, then commence to emptying my magazine into the SOB, eject, holster my weapon, then pull my Benchmade and commence to slitting what is left of the SOB's throat, then use my napkin to clean my knife, call for the waiter and ask for another Guiness and a coroner!!!

#3 ·
Since I've got the time, I'd dump all of the really important things (pictures, licenses, credit cards, large bills) out of my wallet and perhaps deny I own a cell phone. As a biker dressed in crappy clothes, that's not hard to fake.

As long as no one is taken or hurt, I'd make a good list of his height, weight, race and clothing, and then finish my eggs and do nothing.

I'm not a sworn officer.

#5 ·
I would not wish to initiate a shoot out - very risky. If however he got as far as my table then gun would be drawn and concealed under same. If then a clear field of fire and he showed his piece - chances are it'd be time to rock!

I would much prefer a play out where the cops could be called and get him on way out with his ''goodies'' - but there could be a distinct possibility of him using his gun if panicked or spooked in some way.

A difficult call - simply because so many variables ... I would have to play it as I saw fit - but sure would not accept the gun threat very long at all!

#6 ·
Potty Break?

Euclidean said:
Actually if you see it coming from two tables away you could casually get up to go the bathroom. Once there you could call the police and have them meet the guy at the exit.
Ooooh I LIKE that idea. If he calls out to you, ignore him and keep moving until somebody screams "LOOK OUT, HE'S GOT A GUN!" And you're in the OPEN with absolutely zero cover. NOW what do you do?

#7 ·
Dial 911 on a cell phone and hide it under your leg. You clean your wallet of anything of "real" value. You then comply. Unless of course you're in Florida and aren't required, by law, to cooperate/run first.

Oh I'm sorry you wanted something more fun. How about going Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson style on him? Take his gun, pull yours, and give him a lecture on life, then give him your money and have him be on his way.

#8 ·
By the time he gets to the 5th table....

Unless he is one cool professional, I'm thinking he's gonna start to feel some adrenaline...especially if he has noticed that you know what's going down.

So, since he has his pistol in his hand, has not resorted to violence at this point, and we are in a crowded place.... I'm probably going to give him the fake wallet stuffed with $1 bills that I (hopefully) have remembered to carry in an easily accessible pocket :pat: and let him go on his way.

And try to be a very good, live witness.

:pokey: :deal:

Of course, if he goes "wiggy", all bets are off! :biggrin: :shuriken:

#9 ·
I would probably already have the gun in my hand under the table and "fumble" the wallet to the floor under the table. About the time his head moved below the level of the table top he would hear the distinctive click of the safety going off my 1911. What happened from there would be up to him.

#10 ·
Having seen some of the answers already I kind of like a combination. Punch 911 into the cell phone, then try and make it to the bathroom. If he follows me into the bathroom, I have run as far as I could! While in the bathroom I'm giving the 911 operator the best discription I can.

If I don't make it to the bathroom, I guess I'll be calling my credit card companies to cancel my accounts! :sorry:

#11 ·
It has already been one of those days, so I'll have a little fun with this one.

I believe I would have to return my newspaper to the counter at that point. So I would have to walk behind him/by him. I would put my 1911 in the fold of the newspaper prior to getting up. If he tried to block me I would stick the 1911 in his ribs look him in the eye with "the look" and tell him I'm terminally ill and he would be saving me a painful death by killing me. However he can also save himself a painful death by taking his hand out of his pocket and joining me for breakfast.

Plan A - Ask him to deposit his gun in the bag and to keep his hands on top of the table at all times. We could enjoy some good conversation about his chosen path and he would get a good breakfast out of the deal. Give the bag to the waitress so she could give people back their stuff. They would undoubtably call the police and when they arrive our well fed felon can go with them.

If he didn't try to block me I would probably do the same but from his back.

Failure to comply would of course result in him receiving several high velocity lead injections (HVLIs) as an inoculation against further activities. (Plan B)

I suppose I could go Dirty Harry in "Dead Pool" on him. Get the 1911 out and shoot from under the table after a few wtty remarks. Maybe when he makes his demand I would say no. When he gets a little agitated poke him in the nether region with my 1911. Tell him to put his gun in the bag and give me the bag and have a seat. Then go back to plan A. If he doesn't and runs then he runs, if he doesn't and tries to take action then HVLI time.

Alternatively get the 1911 out and have it behind the paper. When he arrives ignore him until he pushes the paper down to reveal he has made an error. Move to Plan A.

That was fun. Prospector's answer was fun as well.

Really, I'd prefer to be out of that booth before our man arrives. I'll take my chances in the open vs being a sure target sitting in the booth. Bathroom, returning the newspaper, head towards the kitchen, whatever. If not possible, give up some money and send him on his way. I carry some bills in my pocket that I would give him and maintain that I do not carry a wallet or cell phone.

-Scott-

#12 ·
All kidding aside....I do like the newspaper and the bathroom ideas....bottom line again is that every scenario has its own set of circumstances and I'd have to take in all of the "situation awareness" before coming to resolve. Good responses by all.

#14 ·
He's a couple booths away so I have time for a 911 call.

I'd make the call and pull my gun and hold it ready under the table. When he approched me with his routine I hope by then the cops are on their way. I would say sure to his order to put money and phone in his bag while pulling my gun and aiming at his mid section. I would then tell him to slowly remove his hand from the gun and clasp both hands behind his head. Any deviation from that order would result in a loud bang.

If the wife and kids are there I would get up as he approched and put myself between him and my table while sticking my gun in his ribs, (I hope). I can't let him have access to my family or I am out of options.

#15 ·
If the family is with me, they take cover!

WyattEarp said:
Ok guys. All your answers have been of you alone, but how about if your dining with your wife or kids or both. What do you do then?
Both my wife and daughter know very well the difference between "cover" and "concealment" and they'd know to take cover or get as LOW as possible to avoid inerrant rounds. They'd also follow my lead and do just as I do until I slapped leather (Kydex?).

Being seated is a huge disadvantage if it comes to taking action. I should be on the outside of the bench in a booth, I usually am but I like to sit with my strong side against the wall, so if I'm printing, I don't alarm other customers. That could also hamper the draw. ~SIGH~ Just have to wait until I'm faced with such a situation. But I guess it's good to think about it in advance.

#17 ·
When I wear an ankle rig I ALWAYS wind up bruising the HECK out of my inside ankle on the other side. Also, you have to watch how your pants "ride up" when you sit. And finally, I'm of the age that a rapid move south of my belt buckle might throw out my back, which goes out more often than I get to the movies as it is!

#19 ·
Seated draw?

Euclidean said:
Cross draw and pocket carry are also things to consider if you are going to be sitting down for a while.
Cross draw is fine for being seated. So is a shoulder holster (same thing, I guess) but have you ever tried to dig change out of your pocket while still seated like for a toll booth or a tip? That alone is a contortionists nightmare, but then thinking about drawing past my LIFTING BARS ummmmm I mean my "Looooove Handles" and getting around (and I do mean ROUND) my past fascination with beer......no way.

#20 ·
I admit it's not as quick as it is while I am standing up, but with a good pocket holster, and having nothing else in the pocket, I can dig my pocket gun out in a hurry. You need a fairly stiff holster; I don't think those Uncle Mike's jobs will work so well.

The main problem I have is that if I'm wearing jeans and sitting down, it seems to create a "crease" across my front pockets. You could feasibly stretch your legs out underneath the table and simulate a standing draw however.

I use a Mika's pocket holster BTW. I love Mika's holsters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.