Stupid friends playing a prank on you...

This is a discussion on Stupid friends playing a prank on you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something like this happened to a coworker of mine a couple of weeks ago. It made me wonder how you would handle a situation like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid friends playing a prank on you...

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany

Something like this happened to a coworker of mine a couple of weeks ago. It made me wonder how you would handle a situation like this. So, that's the scenario:

You leave your house in the early morning. It's still kinda dark outside, sunrise will be in 30 minutes or so. You walk up to your car which is parked on your driveway, unlock your car but at the same second somebody sneaked behind you, pointing something in your back, whispering "don't move! gimme your keys!"

The exact same thing happened to a coworker and it turned out that "the BG" was his Neighbor, playing a prank on him. They both think that was really funny and he got him good. I'd rather say that's a good way to die.

So what now? How do you handle a situation like this? I would say at least an "rear end kicking" would be appropriate... What are your thoughts on that?
    Regards, Mike

The german american, now living in Germany, but surely missing home!

Lead Moderator
    My friends know better. Others who do not may be in for a nasty surprise.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by kante View Post
    You leave your house ... kinda dark ... somebody sneaked behind you, pointing something in your back, whispering "don't move! gimme your keys!"
    That person might have a real problem. With someone who refuses to be victimized, and with all signals going off short of being struck over the head, a person committing such a prank might well not survive it. It's dangerous and stupid in the extreme. Dumb times two.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow... WOW!... Man, that is a good way to DIE! That's how tragedies happen!

My friends would not do that.... they definitely know better!

Now my neighbors on both sides of me have very questionable social graces... Convicted felon for one of them, so if it was my neighbor "pulling a joke" on me... I wouldn't necessarily believe it would be a joke.

By the same token, if someone did manage to sneak up on me and actually "get the drop" on me... I wouldn't automatically try to react, draw and fire as he would already have weapon in hand... (a gun in hand is always faster than one still in the holster... especially if they are behind you.)

With that said, I am trained in the Lindell Method of Handgun Retention and Disarming techniques and used to be a certified instructor in that method, so... I am trained and proficient in being able to disarm, deflect or trap his weapon allowing me to utilize several tactics or draw and fire.

Each situation like that is definitely on a case by case basis depending on the attackers positioning and proximity to me and other factors. (such as, as soon as I saw what was in his hand, would a reasonable person "in the same situation" consider it to be a deadly weapon?)

Suffice it to say, if I ended up NOT Killing him, I would not disclose to one of "my" neighbors that I was armed or a CCW holder.

If I Did Not Kill him, I would none the less, not consider it a joke, and I would call the local LEO and seriously consider filing assault or robbery complaint after a serious discussion with the prosecutor.

If I did end up killing him, it would suck to be him... The "Triad" of Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy are all present in a situation like that, if he was holding an object that could reasonably be construed as a deadly weapon.

Still in a situation like that, even if it wasn't a weapon he was holding, it could still be successfully argued in court, that the dynamics of that particular situation, the implied threat, the element of suprise, and case history of people murdered during a carjacking I could reasonably conclude that he could have killed me.

(The law does not demand that you wait until bullets are flying your direction or a knife is piercing your flesh or a lead pipe / tire iron is caving in your head, before you employ lethal force.)

It may be hard to live with the fact that I killed a man over a joke, but it would be the jokester that set in motion the events that got himself killed, and I would have to think, he bears the responsibility of that.

All in all, it is a very grim situation to be in.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:47 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wow that would be a bad situation.

If he/she could somehow get me to realize it is a joke in the amount of time it would take me to draw while turning, and to point my weapon into said person's chest/torso at the same time.. then I MAY not kill said person. If the sitation is real, I very well may be shot, but I'll damn well empty my weapon into them while dying.

Has Anyone Mentioned...

the word, "Stupid Neighbor?"

My friends would never do this to me...they know better. Those who don't know me, would never do this to me...more than once!

Actually, if a neighbor was able to sneak up on me...shame on me...

Dumb...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll really miss that stupid friend /neighbor.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with what's above.

I know a lot of people don't let their gun-totting status be known by ANYONE but this is one of the reasons at least close friends of mine know I carry. They know so that they think twice, if not three or four or five times before they try to pull a prank on me or try anything stupid.

I've never actually sat down with every friend of mine and extensively talked about it, but they know I carry and that I'll use it if I feel threatened and deductive reasoning tells them to not put me in a situation that I might consider threatening, even if to them it's just a joke.

Not that I have many friends who would try this (if any) but you never know when stupidity can strike!

To digress a little bit. This is ALSO why I hate TV shows like "Boiling Point" or "Punked" or any other show designed to put people in a "bad joke" but they don't know about it. Whether the shows are fake or not, I don't care, the concept breeds stupid copycat people who think it's funny and will try to do it to others. You NEVER know how people are going to react and to put someone in that kind of a situation for a laugh can be very dangerous/stupid (heavier on the stupid side though).

If you can't get a good laugh other than at someone else's expense, there's something wrong with you.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 23rd, 2007 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    My friends know better. Others who do not may be in for a nasty surprise.
    +1
    My friends, even the one who don't carry, would find this prank foolish and not funny.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Administrator
    I would say that that outcome could likely be the same as for a person "pretending" to rob a grocery store or threatening a police officer with a toy firearm. Play the prank and expect the worst if the person is that brainless.
    Especially these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    why I hate TV shows like "Boiling Point" or "Punked"
    Same here lima - I have seen a few where things could have ended in tragedy. They go way too far.

I like fun etc but this type of joking/ pranking is off limits - crazy and dangerous.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Same here lima - I have seen a few where things could have ended in tragedy. They go way too far.

I like fun etc but this type of joking/ pranking is off limits - crazy and dangerous.

I've never understood how these shows have existed this long without a tragedy. You can't push people/mess with their emotions like that and not expect some serious consequences.

The other part of the issue for me has always been, What gives them the right to do that to someone? If you did the exact same thing to a stranger, without the so-called "entertainment" purposes, you'd be looking at a civil suit at least, if not criminal charges of harassment, assault, etc.

I know they sign releases after the fact, but why hasn't someone not signed the release and sued the pants off them?

Wow, talk about a DEATH WISH! That's FELONY-STUPID. It's a wonder people like that survive at all. Well of course they do. They become Democrats. I'd have asked if his mother and father were actually brother and sister....

I had a college roomie when I was sharing a house with two OTHER Army ROTC cadets and this civilian kid. He thought it would be neat-o keen to try and grab me in similar fashion out by the garbage cans one sultry night in Tuscaloosa, AL. So, here I am just dropped the trash in the can and this pair of arms encircles me from behind. Grips me in a bear hug threatening to lift my feet from the ground. I never hesitated. Sank my elbow halfway to the wrist into a solarplexus. Idiot drops me and starts to vomit all over the place as I'm moving in to continue the "lesson" until I see it's the roomie! My other two roommates were laughing to beat all at the poor fool. ~SIGH~ Well, trauma...TEACHES. That's the difference between the college kid mindset and the military mindset. I was within a few weeks of graduation and my commissioning. Pretty serious about life and death. Knew I was branched Infantry.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Life hurts. It hurts more when you're stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links