Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do? - Page 2

Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Napalm. Ooops, wrong thread....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

Napalm.

Ooops, wrong thread.

hmmm, draw and keep gun at side while yelling and waving with other arm. Have lady be ready with pepper spray. If dog comes for us, she sprays first and i spray second. (on some breeds i might skip her part and go right to mine) Not trying to sound like a dog racist, but i have a large repect for the brute power of a pits jaws. My cousin had one latch onto his arm and even after it was dead, took us 10 minutes of prying with a screwdriver to get his arm out.
    (dont get upset if you have a cuddly pit bull, ive seen very friendly ones, but if one advances on me with his teeth barred hes toast)
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    hmmm, draw and keep gun at side while yelling and waving with other arm. Have lady be ready with pepper spray. If dog comes for us, she sprays first and i spray second. (on some breeds i might skip her part and go right to mine) Not trying to sound like a dog racist, but i have a large repect for the brute power of a pits jaws. My cousin had one latch onto his arm and even after it was dead, took us 10 minutes of prying with a screwdriver to get his arm out.
    (dont get upset if you have a cuddly pit bull, ive seen very friendly ones, but if one advances on me with his teeth barred hes toast)
    -mac
    That's my vote as well. But for the people who doubt a dog could cause you enough harm to end its life, I digress. As an ER nurse I have seen some very very viscous dog bites. Last week a pit bull severed a mans brachial artery on top of tearing off at least ten pounds of flesh, and the week before a kid has his testicals torn through his jeans by a German Shephard.

ahhhh wow cringed out loud if thats even possible.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I would yell a loud "No!"...and slowly back away...
    I would raise my arms and continue making eye contact as I back away...

Having had big agressive dogs most of my life, I'm not really that intimidated by big dogs...it's those little 'yelpers' that will try to nip your heels...

Two or more dogs may elicit a stronger response, I would have a can of pepper spray...and finally a gun full of lead repellent...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gotta say, my life is worth more than a dogs. An "unknown" dog could be carrying rabies, could be mentally unstable, could be anything. An animal that tries to back you down in your own yard is a threat.

Best case, healthy dog... I'd rather clean up dog blood then get stitches ANY day. A dog's reacting time is about 1/10 of a human. If the dog gets within 10 feet, your done.

All this being said, I also had a similar situation. Walked out of the house to check the mail. Half way down the driveway 2 dogs (both lab mixes) came at me. They stopped about 20 feet out, barking and growling. I drew and fired a single shot at the ground between, ready to fire the successive shots into the animals. They fled.

After the incident, I learned that these same dogs had terrorized several people in my neighborhood. Had I known that at the time, I would not have wasted my first shot. Since then, the owner has kept them in a pen, but they are still dangerous, and sooner or later they will get out, and someone will get hurt.

Summary... if a dog is "bad" enough to try to back you down, take it out. Then it cannot hurt anyone else. How are you gonna feel when the dog you could have shot kills some kid?

I will NEVER take another warning shot - and I regret taking that one to this day. And, if those dogs ever get loose and end up within range, they will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Wait and see what happens. She has pepper spray and a dog bite usually isn't a lethal incident.Just because you are armed doesn't mean you need to go rambo on anything that looks like it could be a little intimidating.
    yeaaaa, except I am not going to let a German Shepard turn my arm into a chew toy because "it usually isn't a lethal incident". I agree with the rambo sentiments, but I disagree that using your pistol on an attacking dog isn't an option.

In this situation I would probably prepare to draw or maybe even draw depending on the dog's attitude/posture (you can tell when a dog is about ready to pounce). I would also probably inform my lady friend to get her OC spray out and ready to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links