Defensive Carry banner

Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  kavity 
#1 ·
Hello,

Here is one for you. There will be additional details in followup posts to this scenario but initial impressions will be given first due to the fact that rarely can one see events into the future ;D

Scenario:

You are dropping off a female friend at her mother's house after she got off work on third shift. Your female friend is carrying Sabre pepper spray, a blend of OC agent and military tear gas, but you are not thinking about this at the time. You are tired as well as it's been busy at work/school/play/whatever and you've not had the time you need to sleep.

As is habit, you scan your immediate surroundings before exiting the vehicle and everything seems kosher. After you lock your doors and exit, your female friend heads right for the porch (~20ft) as you continue to scan as something doesn't "feel" right.

You suddenly see a blur of motion and a cat exits the bushes, pursued by a German Shepherd Dog with an obviously injured right forepaw and a blue collar with no obvious dog tags attached.

The GSD leaves off the cat and starts toward you, barking a warning bark but not growling. While it has its tail tucked, it is still advancing.

Your female friend panics a bit as she loves animals and knows you carry a gun. She is also concerned about you. Her panic seems to fuel the dog's boldness.

The dog is a surprise but not totally unexpected as the city either does not have a leash law or is a bit lax in enforcing it.

You are carrying your "day off" complement of weaponry and equipment.

What do you do at this point?

Josh <><

See less See more
#22 ·
yeaaaa, except I am not going to let a German Shepard turn my arm into a chew toy because "it usually isn't a lethal incident". I agree with the rambo sentiments, but I disagree that using your pistol on an attacking dog isn't an option.

In this situation I would probably prepare to draw or maybe even draw depending on the dog's attitude/posture (you can tell when a dog is about ready to pounce). I would also probably inform my lady friend to get her OC spray out and ready to use.

#3 ·
Stand your ground and yell or another way to put it be the Alfa. I have been confronted by dogs and I have played the agitator for are local K9 units. I have even charged after the dogs that started out being the aggressor only to have them turn tail and run. This is stuff that has worked for me on four diffrent incidents.

Brian

#4 ·
The yelling at the dog works. Make it especially loud and forcefull. I turned a mamoth mixed breed with a bad attitude from attacking my small aussie sheppard mix just by yelling. The dog had bitten other dogs and was vicious. I had a pistol with me but I would not have used it unless I had tried other means. Down here you don't shoot another man's dog.

#5 ·
Draw my Surefire L2 first and hit the dog in the face with the beam on high, then a loud "GET BACK!" That's usually enough to make even a large dog stop... usually they'll turn tail and run.

If the animal continued to advance, I'd move to phase 2 which would involve more definite action.

#11 ·
You say and do this exactly now..."Gruf, ruff ruff, roof, growel, Bark Bark, ROOF" which loosely translated means " I know your are hurt and scared, but you do not want to mess with her period, now leave"

#13 ·
look it square in the face, raise my arms above my head (appearing larger, Yell a single word with a sharp Consonant at the end. (get, what, out) as they tend to give a louder finish.

I usually show teeth and growl at this point as they are alpha/aggressive actions. (disclaimer: only if the dog has a clear exit would i consider this, as a trapped animal is a dangerous animal) but if you are clear, confident, and engaging 95% of the time they will turn tail. (sounds kinda like some of the 2 legged predators)

#15 ·
A few years ago I had a situation rise that was somewhat similar. My family and I got home late on a saturday night after visiting some friends.
When we all got out of the vehicle two large dogs came from the side of my house and started barking and growling. One was a muscular pit bull and the other was a mut. I had my wife get the kids back in the car while I stood between them and the dogs.
As she was doing this the pit charged. He jumped up at me as if to bite me in the mid section. I grabed him by his front legs and whirled him around and slamed him against the concrete porch. By this time the second dog had me by the lower leg. The pits back was broken so I threw him a few feet away and punched the other dog as hard as I could in the top of his head. Don't know exactly what it did to him but he never moved again.
We are men! never fear the beast cause we are the #&% Alfa dogs!!

#17 ·
hmmm, draw and keep gun at side while yelling and waving with other arm. Have lady be ready with pepper spray. If dog comes for us, she sprays first and i spray second. (on some breeds i might skip her part and go right to mine) Not trying to sound like a dog racist, but i have a large repect for the brute power of a pits jaws. My cousin had one latch onto his arm and even after it was dead, took us 10 minutes of prying with a screwdriver to get his arm out.
(dont get upset if you have a cuddly pit bull, ive seen very friendly ones, but if one advances on me with his teeth barred hes toast)
-mac

#18 ·
That's my vote as well. But for the people who doubt a dog could cause you enough harm to end its life, I digress. As an ER nurse I have seen some very very viscous dog bites. Last week a pit bull severed a mans brachial artery on top of tearing off at least ten pounds of flesh, and the week before a kid has his testicals torn through his jeans by a German Shephard.

#19 ·
:gah:ahhhh wow cringed out loud if thats even possible.:blink:

#20 ·
I would yell a loud "No!"...and slowly back away...
I would raise my arms and continue making eye contact as I back away...:aargh4:

Having had big agressive dogs most of my life, I'm not really that intimidated by big dogs...it's those little 'yelpers' that will try to nip your heels...:yup:

Two or more dogs may elicit a stronger response, I would have a can of pepper spray...and finally a gun full of lead repellent...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#21 ·
Gotta say, my life is worth more than a dogs. An "unknown" dog could be carrying rabies, could be mentally unstable, could be anything. An animal that tries to back you down in your own yard is a threat.

Best case, healthy dog... I'd rather clean up dog blood then get stitches ANY day. A dog's reacting time is about 1/10 of a human. If the dog gets within 10 feet, your done.

All this being said, I also had a similar situation. Walked out of the house to check the mail. Half way down the driveway 2 dogs (both lab mixes) came at me. They stopped about 20 feet out, barking and growling. I drew and fired a single shot at the ground between, ready to fire the successive shots into the animals. They fled.

After the incident, I learned that these same dogs had terrorized several people in my neighborhood. Had I known that at the time, I would not have wasted my first shot. Since then, the owner has kept them in a pen, but they are still dangerous, and sooner or later they will get out, and someone will get hurt.

Summary... if a dog is "bad" enough to try to back you down, take it out. Then it cannot hurt anyone else. How are you gonna feel when the dog you could have shot kills some kid?

I will NEVER take another warning shot - and I regret taking that one to this day. And, if those dogs ever get loose and end up within range, they will go down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.