Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

This is a discussion on Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Here is one for you. There will be additional details in followup posts to this scenario but initial impressions will be given first due ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Another Dog Scenario - What Would You Do?

Hello,

Here is one for you. There will be additional details in followup posts to this scenario but initial impressions will be given first due to the fact that rarely can one see events into the future ;D

Scenario:

You are dropping off a female friend at her mother's house after she got off work on third shift. Your female friend is carrying Sabre pepper spray, a blend of OC agent and military tear gas, but you are not thinking about this at the time. You are tired as well as it's been busy at work/school/play/whatever and you've not had the time you need to sleep.

As is habit, you scan your immediate surroundings before exiting the vehicle and everything seems kosher. After you lock your doors and exit, your female friend heads right for the porch (~20ft) as you continue to scan as something doesn't "feel" right.

You suddenly see a blur of motion and a cat exits the bushes, pursued by a German Shepherd Dog with an obviously injured right forepaw and a blue collar with no obvious dog tags attached.

The GSD leaves off the cat and starts toward you, barking a warning bark but not growling. While it has its tail tucked, it is still advancing.

Your female friend panics a bit as she loves animals and knows you carry a gun. She is also concerned about you. Her panic seems to fuel the dog's boldness.

The dog is a surprise but not totally unexpected as the city either does not have a leash law or is a bit lax in enforcing it.

You are carrying your "day off" complement of weaponry and equipment.

What do you do at this point?

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Wait and see what happens. She has pepper spray and a dog bite usually isn't a lethal incident.Just because you are armed doesn't mean you need to go rambo on anything that looks like it could be a little intimidating.

Stand your ground and yell or another way to put it be the Alfa. I have been confronted by dogs and I have played the agitator for are local K9 units. I have even charged after the dogs that started out being the aggressor only to have them turn tail and run. This is stuff that has worked for me on four diffrent incidents.

Brian

The yelling at the dog works. Make it especially loud and forcefull. I turned a mamoth mixed breed with a bad attitude from attacking my small aussie sheppard mix just by yelling. The dog had bitten other dogs and was vicious. I had a pistol with me but I would not have used it unless I had tried other means. Down here you don't shoot another man's dog.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Draw my Surefire L2 first and hit the dog in the face with the beam on high, then a loud "GET BACK!" That's usually enough to make even a large dog stop... usually they'll turn tail and run.

If the animal continued to advance, I'd move to phase 2 which would involve more definite action.

I'll bet you wish you had a bone in your pocket right about now. I would try yelling and if this dosen't work try getting your friend to use the pepper spray or toss it to you so you can. I would shoot only as a last resort.

Tail back and tucked = being submissive. I would try loud firm commands. One dog is not a threat you can take the arm bite and snap it's neck if you have to to avoid firing a round in a residential area.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    Stand your ground and yell or another way to put it be the Alfa.
    That would be the first thing I'd do! It's worked in the past.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I'll bet you wish you had a bone in your pocket right about now.
    I laughed so hard, I almost threw up.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I'll bet you wish you had a bone in your pocket right about now. I would try yelling and if this dosen't work try getting your friend to use the pepper spray or toss it to you so you can. I would shoot only as a last resort.
    Well she might use the pepper spray on you if she noticed the bone in your pocket. Other then being a large dog it does not sound like a danger at this point. You could leg your carry and see what develeps if your are real nervice.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

You say and do this exactly now..."Gruf, ruff ruff, roof, growel, Bark Bark, ROOF" which loosely translated means " I know your are hurt and scared, but you do not want to mess with her period, now leave"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Shoot the dog and tell the cops it was about to attack you and you thought it might have rabies,lol Ive had many stray dogs come near me who looked bad but I just stood my ground and it left. If you run from most stray dogs they will run after you at least in my neighborhood.

look it square in the face, raise my arms above my head (appearing larger, Yell a single word with a sharp Consonant at the end. (get, what, out) as they tend to give a louder finish.

I usually show teeth and growl at this point as they are alpha/aggressive actions. (disclaimer: only if the dog has a clear exit would i consider this, as a trapped animal is a dangerous animal) but if you are clear, confident, and engaging 95&#37; of the time they will turn tail. (sounds kinda like some of the 2 legged predators)

use humor

Dogs like a laugh like all other animals. I would ask him "How does sandpaper feel?" Of course the dog would answer "ruff"

Sorry. Couldnt resist.

All the other answers sounded good though.

A few years ago I had a situation rise that was somewhat similar. My family and I got home late on a saturday night after visiting some friends.
    When we all got out of the vehicle two large dogs came from the side of my house and started barking and growling. One was a muscular pit bull and the other was a mut. I had my wife get the kids back in the car while I stood between them and the dogs.
    As she was doing this the pit charged. He jumped up at me as if to bite me in the mid section. I grabed him by his front legs and whirled him around and slamed him against the concrete porch. By this time the second dog had me by the lower leg. The pits back was broken so I threw him a few feet away and punched the other dog as hard as I could in the top of his head. Don't know exactly what it did to him but he never moved again.
    We are men! never fear the beast cause we are the #&&#37; Alfa dogs!!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links