Man stabbed trying to help stranger

This is a discussion on Man stabbed trying to help stranger within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lima, I am sorry to hear you have experienced one of the most pathetic indivduals our fine nation has to offer. What worries me even ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man stabbed trying to help stranger

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Lima,

I am sorry to hear you have experienced one of the most pathetic indivduals our fine nation has to offer. What worries me even more, is that all those people who saw this unfold did NOTHING! Once again I am going to go against convention... for those who see this going on...get INVOLVED! DO NOT stand idly by and "be a good witness" are we all that self absorbed that we would not risk some comfort to help our fellow citizens? Help does not require the use of a firearm, the people who commit these awful crimes are by nature COWARDS! Your voice, your presence or your boldness is ALL it will normally take to stop people like this. Could it cause a confrontation? Certainly. Could you spend time in court? Sure. Would you wish somebody did it for your loved ones if the roles were reversed? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! I am not trying to say we should all play Superman...but give up the "I'll be a good witness" viewpoint and pretend...even if you don't believe...that you are your brother's keeper. IF, and ONLY IF, we stand against these animals can we take back the streets...can women be safe...can our children be safe.

We talk openly about the sheep...and call ourselves "sheepdogs". I ask this, would a sheepdog "be a good witness" while the wolf devours his flock? You do not need to charge in guns a blazin'...just make your presence known! The wolf will recognize us, and he WILL run.

I ask of only those strong enough to face the music...help your fellow man. There are those out there that are looking for it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    Lima,

I am sorry to hear you have experienced one of the most pathetic indivduals our fine nation has to offer. What worries me even more, is that all those people who saw this unfold did NOTHING! Once again I am going to go against convention... for those who see this going on...get INVOLVED! DO NOT stand idly by and "be a good witness" are we all that self absorbed that we would not risk some comfort to help our fellow citizens? Help does not require the use of a firearm, the people who commit these awful crimes are by nature COWARDS! Your voice, your presence or your boldness is ALL it will normally take to stop people like this. Could it cause a confrontation? Certainly. Could you spend time in court? Sure. Would you wish somebody did it for your loved ones if the roles were reversed? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! I am not trying to say we should all play Superman...but give up the "I'll be a good witness" viewpoint and pretend...even if you don't believe...that you are your brother's keeper. IF, and ONLY IF, we stand against these animals can we take back the streets...can women be safe...can our children be safe.

We talk openly about the sheep...and call ourselves "sheepdogs". I ask this, would a sheepdog "be a good witness" while the wolf devours his flock? You do not need to charge in guns a blazin'...just make your presence known! The wolf will recognize us, and he WILL run.

I ask of only those strong enough to face the music...help your fellow man. There are those out there that are looking for it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I have helped others several times in my life, some had good out comes others I got cussed at by both parties. For me it's just my nature. Also, most of these were before I had cell phone. I will agree call 911 first. If you determine that a life my be loss then intervene.

Brian
    Last edited by Randal16-1; June 4th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

I don't understand how people can look themselves in the mirror the next day and not feel ashamed for not helping someone in trouble. I would not and will not stand by and watch crime happen and not get involved.

That doesn't always mean charging in with gun drawn, but blocking a getaway car with mine is a possible solution. Definitely calling 911. Alerting other people that a crime is taking place, there is strength in numbers. And as we all know most people are not aware of what is going on around them, you might find extra help if they know there is a problem. And if necessary drawing my concealed weapon. Some of us are sheep dogs by nature and nothing will deter that. I will never be ashamed to look in the mirror the next morning.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't understand how people can look themselves in the mirror the next day and not feel ashamed for not helping someone in trouble. I would not and will not stand by and watch crime happen and not get involved."

"I will never be ashamed to look in the mirror the next morning."

Ditto for me. Have a friend in WV who witnessed a lady being beaten on by a shotgun wielding scumbag in his drive way. My friend approached the guy and told him to stop at which time the perp pointed his shotgun at my friend. Wrong answer, the beater ate two .35 remington slugs from a Marlin Model 336.

The couple was divorced and the former hubby ran the the lady's car off the road at the driveway. This lady was happy with then outcome.

Lima,
    Thanks for sharing your personal post.
    I pray for your continued healing.

Tough call - If it doesn't involve myself or immediate family, I have to defer on this one. I'm a VERY short guy and not at all menacing, so other than tripping or pushing a BG, a physical confrontation would be out for me.
    Too often we must make judgement calls in an instant when something like this arises.
    An eyewitness for physical traits and licesnse numbers is at the very least doing SOMETHING.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lima,
    My heartfelt regret for your ordeal. We're privileged to be brought into your confidence. Hang in there kid, proud to know you even if it's via the Internet.
    I'm not as able bodied as I once was but I still have a way of sticking my nose where it don't belong. I can't turn my back on someone in need of help. It's a curse that has fulfilling moments. I haven't had occasion lately but if I can help I will. I'm sure the rest of you good folks would also. When the chips are down instincts will guide you, listen to them.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Big Bummer on how that turned out for you. Both sound like trash to me. Not knowing anymore than you did I'd probably have intervened too. That's a situation where some high stream pepper or Freeze Plus P spray would have been good to use at a safe distance.
    For God, Family and Country!

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Lima,

Here, Her!! You said it all! For sure we have to use caution and common sense, but when you believe you see a violent crime in action, it is our obligation as citizens and humans to do SOMETHING!
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links