Man stabbed trying to help stranger

This is a discussion on Man stabbed trying to help stranger within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.thestjoechannel.com/conte...ext/?cid=12192 Man Stabbed After Trying to Help Stranger Reported by: Alan Van Zandt Tuesday, May 29, 2007 @10:04pm A St. Joseph man, who survived a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man stabbed trying to help stranger

VIP Member

Man stabbed trying to help stranger

http://www.thestjoechannel.com/conte...ext/?cid=12192

Man Stabbed After Trying to Help Stranger

Reported by: Alan Van Zandt
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 @10:04pm

A St. Joseph man, who survived a stabbing, speaks out about his close call. Mikel Sansonetti said he was stabbed in the lung while trying to save a stranger's life.

Cherish Sansonetti spends time with her husband Mikel, who's sitting in a Heartland Hospital bed lucky to be alive.

"It not only punctured my right ventricle, but it also created a blood clot, a large clot against my lungs so I couldn't breathe," Mikel said.

Doctors said Sansonetti was 15 minutes away from dying after trying to stop a man from beating up a woman outside the downtown Taco Bell.

"They were in between two cars, and he was just punching her in the head," Mikel said.

Sansonetti's natural instincts kicked in and he tried to help.

"He said he was going to stick me, I thought he meant punch me, and then he stabbed me," Mikel said. "I knew as soon as he did it I got stabbed and I looked down at said 'you stabbed me,' I couldn't believe he did it."

Neither could his wife and son, who were there and saw the whole thing.

"We didn't know her, we didn't know them, and we have children and that's all I could think about," Cherish said. "I know we're supposed to help people and I understand that, but I'm having a hard time with that."

The police were soon on the way, but the woman Sansonetti saved wasn't so grateful.

"She ended up telling the guy let's go honey, the cops are coming and you have warrants, and ended up getting in the car with the gentleman anyway and actually driving around me while I was laying on the ground bleeding," Mikel said.

The Sansonetti's are hurt that the woman would be so thoughtless about the man who tried to save her but they're moving on and thinking about Mikel's recovery.

"I am so proud of him and I know and we've talked about this about what we'd do next time," Cherish said. "You know, he'd do it again in a heartbeat, and that's just him. He's definitely my hero."

Police think they know who they're looking for. They said it's only a matter time until they catch him. Sansonnetti should be able to leave the hospital either Wednesday or Thursday.
    Not good. Nothing like getting in the middle of a domestic situation. If the 'hero' had a gun I wonder what he would have done?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That is a horrible situation. People trying to help and getting hurt. I'm sorry it had to happen that way.

Arrow This Is an EXCELLENT Lesson...

This is EXACTLY why it is never a good idea to jump to another's assistance, but rather call 911 and JUST be a good witness.

The victim and her 'beater' leave him to die?

Although many may argue about helping others, this is exactly why I will not step in on anything...PERIOD. Sued or killed...for helping someone? In today's vicious world, one must tread carefully...I will protect me or mine ONLY!

OMO, yours may vary...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    http://www.thestjoechannel.com/conte...ext/?cid=12192
    Not good. Nothing like getting in the middle of a domestic situation. If the 'hero' had a gun I wonder what he would have done?
    ...probably would have gone to jail after saving a woman from a beating--she would have mourned her loss and put on a sad face for the press how the GG shot and killed her babies' daddy...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is EXACTLY why it is never a good idea to jump to another's assistance, but rather call 911 and JUST be a good witness.

The victim and her 'beater' leave him to die?

Although many may argue about helping others, this is exactly why I will not step in on anything...PERIOD. Sued or killed...for helping someone? In today's vicious world, one must tread carefully...I will protect me or mine ONLY!

OMO, yours may vary...

ret
    retsupt has a very good point.

Domestic disturbance instances specifically is where more cops get injured and often killed when intervening. This woman couldn't care less if her assailant/boyfriend/spouse had killed this poor husband and father who attempted to rescue her.

Being in EMS for almost 30 years and assoc. with Law Enforcement for almost 10 opened my eyes a long time ago. I know I have become cynical (It's an occupational hazard) I have little sympathy for the woman who remains in an abusive relationship. We have so many resources to help them escape these days including shelter, free money, job placement that there is no excuse to remain in situations like that.

I can reasonably assure you had the man who got stabbed had a legal firearm and shot the *******, there would have been more than a good chance that the alleged victim would be testifying against the man.

You better be sure that who appears to be a victim, really is a victim before you intervene.

I wrote in another thread a while back while my dad was working in New York City, he saw what appeared to be 2 homeless street thugs beating a fairly well dressed man on the sidewalk. All of a sudden a NYPD marked patrol unit screeched up to the sidewalk and arrested the well dressed man, threw him in the car and took off.

The 2 homeless street thugs were undercover cops and after my dad figured out they were cops as they were the ones who put the handcuffs on he approached them and asked them what the guy did.

The well dressed guy was a rapist who they had been looking for, for failure to appear for his trial.

Mistaken identity can really come back and bite you in more ways than one as the off duty cop who just shot his daughter he mistook for an intruder just recently found out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Remember the serial killer Ted Bundy?

He used this kind of ruse at times to get his victims.

One time he wore a fake cast on his arm. He dropped a package as he passed a young girl and asked for help in picking it up. As soon as the poor girl bent over to get the dropped items, he smashed her in the head with the cast.

Senior Moderator
    I fear this horse has been drug out again, still bleeding from it's last beating. Obviously it's not dead yet, but it's on it's way.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation or disagree that getting involved in a domestic dispute is too risky.

I don't fault the people who say, "for me and mine ONLY." If anything they will live longer with less court time.

I just can't help but think of the few who ARE waiting for someone to rescue them.

Bark'n mentioned all of the ways abused women can be helped these days, which is very true, but that doesn't take away the fear that they live in that keeps them from actually taking advantage of those resources.

A long time ago (well it was only a couple of years ago but it feels like it's been centuries), I was dragged crying from a restaurant, thrown in a van, raped, beaten, raped and beaten again, and then beaten again all the while being threatened with slow torturous death. He would strangle me for awhile and then let go, laughing.

Not one single person lifted their hand to help me that day while someone had me by my hair and was pulling me across a parking lot, while I was crying and pleading for mercy.

I looked around at patrons faces and while they looked shocked and some even scared, not one person moved, even to a telephone (then again, he was dragging me past all of the telephones).

Obviously no one even got a description of the car or his license plate number. He had more than eight hours with me before he miraculously let me go, alive. There's no real reason as to why he SHOULDN'T have killed me, and I know just how lucky I am to be alive, but not because someone stepped in to help.

Let me say I was pretty ticked off at all those people in that diner that day. They all decided they wouldn't get involved and because of that I had the absolute worst day of my life.

True that they had absolutely no way of knowing what the outcome would be. They didn't know if he had a weapon, they didn't know if I was going to turn on them, they certainly didn't know that had they stopped him they would have saved me a lot of pain and I probably would be sending them thank you cards every year for the rest of my life.

I didn't even know the outcome at that time. I had no idea what was going to come, but hind-sight is always 20/20 isn't it?

So, when I hear of people not being willing to help, though I don't blame them I can't help but think of the dozen faces who just watched as I was dragged out of their sight and into a van. The hostesses face seems to be burned in my memory more than others, mostly because as he was pulling me through the door she closed her eyes and looked away and there was a phone no more than seven inches from her left hand.

That was the day I realized that I couldn't count on ANYONE to help, and that I would have to be my own security, but I often wish, just wish, that one person would have at least stepped up and said, "Let her go." He may not have listened and it probably would have happened anyway but it would have showed me that someone cared enough to at least say something.

I don't know what I'll do if I ever run into that kind of situation where I'm watching something similar. I know I'm very biased because I won't be able to look at that person without thinking of myself. I won't be able to separate myself from the dozens of people who just watched me get dragged away.

The shame and hypocrisy would eat me alive and I think I'd be compelled to do SOMETHING. I could save that one person the kind of pain I had to go through. I could save that person from the years of suffering afterward, maybe even death. I'll never know for sure, of course, but I don't think I can take that chance. I'm too emotionally involved in situations like that.

Like I said, I don't believe that people are wrong for saying that they'd just call the police and that they'd only protect their own, but you'd be surprised how even the smallest amount of resistance, even if it doesn't help much, could at least give hope to someone. Even if it's to scream, "I'm calling the police and I have your license plate number. You'll never get away with this."

But those are just Lima thoughts.
    Last edited by limatunes; May 31st, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

1943 - 2009
    Holy smokes, Lima!

My opinion and admiration of you as a stand-up person just went up about 100 notches!

That took a lot of courage to post that story.

I'm truly sorry you had to go thru that experience.

Did they ever catch that low-life?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

His near fatal mistake was getting within the attackers personal space.
    Unless the guy has 6' or greater arms then he must have been directly within the guys face...which is in general a mistake.

This reminds me of the 21 yr.old kid who rode into fire at that police officer shooting where the sniper was holed up in a church.
    He hears rifle fire and decides to slip on his "sandals", grab his .45 and ride his bicycle five blocks down the street directly into the middle of fire thinking he could be of help. He nearly died from his resulting and multiple wounds.

When engaging into a fight one has to use tact and tactics rather than just jump in blindly with both feet.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Did they ever catch that low-life?
    To my knowledge, no.

VIP Member
    Lima...God Bless you
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Limatunes, stories like yours are EXACTLY why I would act even if the result was not what I hoped.

Sure we have the risk of ending up like the guy in the story or worse, but I have a 29 year old daughter and the thought of her going through what you have without anyone coming to her aid terrifies me.

Like you, I won't chastise those who say "me and mine only" but I gotta do what I gotta do.

What's the quote?: "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing".

It sounds like you have gotten through the trauma and gone on to a good life. God bless you.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Assistant Administrator
    punctured my right ventricle
    That guy was mega fortunate that's for sure.

I found lima's post very relevant and will add my usual boring ''disclaimer'' shall we say.........

I refuse to either selfishly claim I will ONLY protect me and mine or - claim to always be Mr Good Samariton and always help. I have to go by ''play it as you see it'' - and even then we can get it wrong.

So many times it's ''cell phone, cell phone'' - heck I have no signal nearly half the darned time. I would tho be a best witness where applicable.

I do agree tho we do have to somehow if getting involved make an assessment of just who is victim and who is aggressor - oh so easy to get it wrong.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I refuse to either selfishly claim I will ONLY protect me and mine or - claim to always be Mr Good Samariton and always help. I have to go by ''play it as you see it'' - and even then we can get it wrong.
    Chris, I think that's all that any of us could ever really, honestly say.

There are far too many variables.

It just breaks my heart to see good people who've stood up for other's not only have the opportunity to truly help, but get ignored by the people they are trying to help.

This reminds me of the story of the man who pulled his gun to stop two men who were attempting to rob and rape a woman in a parking garage.

When the two men ran for their lives, the woman collected her purse, jumped in her car and drove away without saying a single word of thanks or even acknowledging his presence.

As she drove away he got a good glimpse of the anti-gun bumper sticker she had on her car. He very likely saved her life she had not one kind word to say to him.

However, I believe he finds solace in the fact that he helped someone as this man can take away the knowledge that he at least TRIED to help someone.

God Bless those people.

This Happens too often. You jump in to help a woman who is getting beat up by her boyfriend and they both jump on you. The GG lucked out. He could have died. I'm sure glad he survived. This happened in another case where the GG went to help a woman getting beat up and the woman and her boyfriend both jumped on the GG. They ended up pushing the GG into traffic and a car hit him . The GG ended up dieing. This is one situation I avoid whenever possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links