Scenario: Gas Station Robbery

This is a discussion on Scenario: Gas Station Robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; APachon mentioned in a post on the ''maturity'' thread re having more scenarios. It reminded me of this one - which I drew up and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenario: Gas Station Robbery

Assistant Administrator

Scenario: Gas Station Robbery

APachon mentioned in a post on the ''maturity'' thread re having more scenarios. It reminded me of this one - which I drew up and posted way way back on another board. Guess it can have another airing.

So - here you have it - it is actually a close rendition of a gas station I use and one day a very suspicious guy was paying at the register - it prompted me to imagine this scene below if things ''went hot''.

What we imagine is - I am browsing the candy and chips - minding my own business. I hear raised voices at register and see a guy threatening the clerk with a handgun. Sorta ''give me the money, or else''. He appears agitated and nervous - making me think he could well shoot the clerk - and he probably is unaware of my presence - my peeking was just over the top of the display so, I am otherwise concealed.

So - do I stay concealed and let things play out? Do I intercede and shout a verbal warning with my gun in hand (tho hidden) - ready to get a fast shot.? Do I ''go for it'' and cap him? I can justifiably (?) consider a risk to self all the while - even tho he has not seen me and so - would feel I was defending clerk and self.

Note, as per sketch - I have already established a safe field of fire from my position - no personnel or apparent hazards beyond BG.

We could actually spice this further - and imagine from the status quo in the sketch - the entrance into the shop by another customer - sufficient we may imagine to accelerate the BG's actions or even make him start shooting - at the guy who just came in. That would for me make it open season on the BG once even one shot fired. You?

Of course - these scenario deals are just thought provokers - no way of predicting anything. See whatcha think folks. (Edit to add ... distance behind BG to door would in fact be considerably more than in pic .... probably 12 feet or more let's say)

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    Chris - In my opinion I would go to a kneeling position at the end of the rack nearest the BG, gun in hand pointed at his COM and challenge him to drop the gun, if he turned in my direction I would fire. If he chose to abort his attempt and run out I would let him go, get a good description and call 911.
    I would not just let this play out. He has made a choice to threaten the life of another and you can't be certain that he won't carry out that threat even if he gets what he wants.
    I still believe in challenging him to drop the weapon rather than just shooting him unaware of my presence. I think the jury would not look kindly to you just "ambushing" him without a challenge.

Any movement other than choosing to run out would get him two to the COM.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - yes, that is probably my action of choice - a kneeling peek at end and sighted on COM - the guy would be crazy to ignore a verbal challenge and sight of a piece. If he did then - tough poop!!

As I said tho of course - these imaginary things are but an excercize - if we ever (Lord forbid) are in such a situation - we play it out as we feel best at the time. So many variables we can never foresee.

I do think the prospect of another customer entering during this play-out - would be, shall we say - interesting!!!
    Chris - P95

My gut says take the shot. As far as the robber is concerned all he has to do is shoot the clerk and there's no witnesses and no one to write down his license plate number as he drives away.

If you don't do it you're playing God with the clerk's life.

DC Founder
    I, too, believe that a challenge to drop his weapon and a two to COM if his muzzle went any direction other than straight down. The only thing I am not sure about is going down on my knee. I would probably shoot from the standing position so I could move quicker if I needed to. A few years ago I probably would not hesitate to kneel but today I am more confident that I could move quick if I remained standing.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Bumper - you too then have ''geriatric knees'' They suck eh.

Takes a few milliseconds to reach a squat or kneel - but a week and a half to get upright again!!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    Unless BG starts shooting, I would observe and report only. Yes the pistol would be in my hand but, with unknown # of BG's I would rather not engage unless forced to. I would call PD and if things got out of hand step in.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bumper - you too then have ''geriatric knees'' They suck eh.

Takes a few milliseconds to reach a squat or kneel - but a week and a half to get upright again!!
    Yeah, I have 'em, just don't call them ''geriatric knees''. I'm just not ready for that....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    I would call PD and if things got out of hand step in.
    Rocky - I gave thought to that - cell phone etc. But knocked it on the head because I am assuming here that my presence is unknown - I am concealed, and quietly so. I fancy speech, even subdued, just might give away my position.

Arguable that may be of course - maybe make the connection and let them trace but still feel action here will be down to me, one way or another.
    Chris - P95

ACP pretty much hit this one dead center. I too would probably drop to a knee and know that chips do not offer much protection to incoming fire.

Safety off and BG covered with front sight @ COM. Command authoritative voice as many of our local gas stations are going to an audio/video based recording system.

There was just a shooting at a gas station up in the NW here in Vegas (Craig & Decatur) and an armed robbery (Ann & Durango) so my situational awareness has been ever higher recently. Matter of fact, I can't recall the last time I actually went inside a gas station as I use the debit card system to buy my diesel. Wife gets her fuel @ Sam's club. However, if I did venture into this scenario, I would not feel good with myself if I did nothing. I would cover the BG and try to thwart his attempts, and if I did feel threatened, I would stop the threat.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Red face

Gotta go with Bumper on this...I'm not much for kneeling anymore....thinking it over a bit, don't know whether better to let him know he's facing a gun or not. He might just keep his pointed at the clerk and turn his head. Taking a shot then might cause him to fire on the clerk....I'd hope I could get his "full" attention at me....meaning turning and taking the gun away from the clerk....then he's mine.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    According to my state's law, any person can use force to stop a forcible felony, and in this case we have a forcible felony in progress (criminal side covered). As an officer, my instinct would be to act, but I can see where a likely response would be to stay concealed and hope for the best.

As for warning the perp, he warned himself when he commenced to rob the store. If I decided to act, I would move to the position of best cover and concealment and best backstop and drop the perp.

If I could draw my weapon without drawing attention to myself I would, with my intent being to protect MY life should the individual become aware of my presence and point the gun in my direction. Although I respect other's intentions to use their CCW to protect the lives of others, my justification for having one to begin with is to protect my life and the life of a family member if I feel my life (or theirs) is in danger. At the point where the guy's gun is pointed at the cashier in my mind I would not be justified to shoot even though from a legal standpoint it would probably fly. Without him being aware of my presence and having no reason to point the gun in my direction my life would not be in danger. I definitely would not announce my presence in any way and would let things play out, trying to pay attention to any details that might help the police.

Chances are I'd take the shot. Homicide is justifiable in the event of stopping a felony in progress here.

I'm not going to warn - I'm under no obligation to. He may decide to pop one into the clerk at the sound of "Drop the weapon" and turn and face me. He may pop the clerk after I shoot. He may have a second firearm. He may have a friend outside. I'm thinking that my safest bet is action first, and then assess the situation as it unfolds.

As long as he continues to hold the weapon, he's a threat. I'll shoot until that threat is neutralized and reload if needed or pull out my BUG.

What will happen, I know, is that I won't be going home that evening myself for many many hours if at all. I'll hope that the security cameras capture the robbery with some degree of fidelity and that the clerk survives. Those are my two hopes in the situation - but I know enough of those willing to commit armed robbery that I can't stand idly by in that situation.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I would kneel down on the tips of my feet or else stand in a crouching position. I wouldnt give him a verbal warning, I would throw two his way, this would take him off guard, his first instinct would be to cower. This suprise wouldnt give him the time to consider using the clerk for anything. If he didnt cower then hopefully the next 2 would force him down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links