Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have?

This is a discussion on Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a case of shotgun shells, and about 200 rounds for each pistol. After reading what you all store as a "just in case" ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have?

I have a case of shotgun shells, and about 200 rounds for each pistol. After reading what you all store as a "just in case" situation, I feel drawn to the store to load up...

I always felt like I never wanted to look like "David Coresh", but this thread has changed that view... Who knows what might happen, but if a Katrina ever happened, I don't think I would be prepared enough for a situation as that...
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Enough!

FREEDOM MATTERS!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Yeah, but how many of you guys have over 100 gallons of water stored?

I have 1,000 rounds of 7.62 X 39 for my SHTF rifle.

Everything else varies.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

.223/5.56= 3,000 rounds (HP and FMJ of varying weights)
    .22LR= 1,500 (could always use more)
    .45ACP= 900 (mostly FMJ, would like to have about 1,500)
    9mm= 800 (would like about 3k)
    12GA= 120 (just bought the 12ga)
    .410= 20
    .40= 100 (dont have a .40 though... yet)

Overall the only thing I'm content with is the .223. Been buying a lot of that lately to stock pile. Everything else I'd like to have about 1,500 rounds minimum on hand.

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

I measure my water storage in acre-feet.

Hurricane Supplies...Doc

Not sure exactly, but our Hurricane supplies mean we have a gallon per person (and pup -- 2 of those) per day to last two weeks. PLUS enough canned (and other types of packaging) food to last the people a month. The pups have their own supply of food for that time. We also have an 8.5KW generator and about 40 gallons of fresh gas for that. We might get another generator this season. Probably something slightly bigger.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

[QUOTE=Doc Holliday;404846]Yeah, but how many of you guys have over 100 gallons of water stored?

QUOTE]

During the hurricane aftermath we just hooked up a Genny to the well. I also have an old fashined pitcher pump that I can put on if i run out of gas for the genny, and about a 1/2 acre pond in the back that serves as abackup water supply and seafood pantry.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have 80 gallons. (two 30 gallon and one 20 gallon blue plastic FDA approved food grade storage barrels with oxystabilizer for 5 year rotation of supply.) First stored water for Y2K... so rotate water every 5 years. Next rotation due in 2010.

Probably 10 + gallons in water pipes that can be drained.

I will probably buy one more 30 gal and one more 20 gal. storage barrels in next year or two.

Just me, wife and 2 dogs.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Question Q?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have 80 gallons. (two 30 gallon and one 20 gallon blue plastic FDA approved food grade storage barrels with oxystabilizer for 5 year rotation of supply.) Just me, wife and 2 dogs.
    That's MY count: Me and the wife and two LARGE pups. Where do you get "oxystabilizer?" Can you post a link?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    If you shot 10-30 thousand rounds per year you would see the need for it, as i do.
    If I shoot 30k rounds through a rifle and think, "gee, that's just enough to get me through a tough situation," I'm not buying more ammo for it, I'm getting a better gun.

I have enough hulls, primers, and powder for 1200+ rounds of 45ACP, and powder, primer and bullets to make about 150 more rounds each for the .243 and the .30-06. 38spl isn't so much a consideration in a SHTF situation, nor is surviving long enough to use several thousand rounds of anything in legitimate defense. Look how many trained soldiers don't live long enough to empty their first mag.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    That's MY count: Me and the wife and two LARGE pups. Where do you get "oxystabilizer?" Can you post a link?
    Oxy-Stabil
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1137

Aerobic 07
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...roducts_id=406

Fuel Saver Plus Stabilizes gasoline for 3 years without rotation
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...roducts_id=150

Pri-D Diesel & Kerosene Stabilizes Diesel & Kerosene for several years without rotation
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1056

Nitro-Pak Main supplier of preparedness supplies. (I recommend them)
    http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php

I have other sources of preparedness supplies and some that are very specific in nature if you are interested in more PM me.
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 19th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Question Hmmmm: What's the time limit on SHTF?

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    38spl isn't so much a consideration in a SHTF situation, nor is surviving long enough to use several thousand rounds of anything in legitimate defense. Look how many trained soldiers don't live long enough to empty their first mag.
    That brings up an interesting point: How LONG will such a situation last? Are we talking a KATRINA problem or something longer term?

I don't anticipate expending a ton of ammo in anything resembling a protracted firefight. In the aftermath of a Katrina-like disaster I think the average looter/gangsta outfit can be discouraged pretty decisively with a small demonstration of accuracy and range. I saw how this worked after Hurricane Andrew. I know the formula works.

OTOH, another SHTF scenario might resemble another part of the Katrina experience where the "good guys" come galloping in at the behest of some Governor and start grabbing guns from the populace. In Katrina the actors were brought in from states with strong gun controls already so the national guard from those states (Illinois and California) was already of the proper "mindset."

Okay, NOW WHAT? I'm inclined to prepare for this sort of action by cache the good stuff and leave a couple of throw-downs and some loose ammo around for them to "seize" so I won't be forced to create widows and orphans of folks just trying to accomplish a mission according to "lawful orders," Constitutional or not.

Suppose the Globalists get the legislation of their wet dreams: Somebody like Hillary in the White House, and overwhelming majority in both houses of Congress and folks like Biden and Schumer on the US Supreme Court. They manage to overturn by Supreme Court decision, the actual meaning of the 2nd Amendment. Laws are passed for long range conversion to the Australian model and yada yada yada....now the SHTF scenario is ...the rest of my life which may not be too long anyway.

No more gun sales, no more ammo. But the populace MAY be able to keep their guns and ammo on hand so long as it is NEVER replenished. The globalists can now continue with their plans to merge into the NWO, and simply wait for the current generation of gunowners to simply die off, naturally. That won't take long. They've already been indoctrinating our children for the last 20 years -- not so far to finish that deed.

It's possible that CCW laws might remain in effect, state by state and the feds in charge might hesitate at making a frontal rush there before their hold is secure. Nobody would want a 10th Amendment challenge at the USSC to cloud the issues.

So we might retain what we have on hand. There might not be a crush of urgency.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links