Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have?

This is a discussion on Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You never know when it may happen so......Let's say the S just HTF right now. Power is out, looters are running wild, and it could ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's say the S just HTF, how much ammo do you have?

You never know when it may happen so......Let's say the S just HTF right now. Power is out, looters are running wild, and it could be some time before commerce and stability is restored. Your on your own to protect you and yours for the next month at least.

How much ammo and what caliber do you have on hand right now? Are you comfortable with what you have and why or why not?

I'll start.

.22 lr - 2,850
    .223 - 750
    30-30 - 87
    .308 - 196
    7.62x39 - 500
    12 ga 00 - 45 and HB#4 50
    .38/.357 - 79
    .38 super - 350
    .40 cal - 60
    .45 - 360

I purposly left out bird shot for the 12 and 20 ga, becuase I shoot so much so often it fluctuates weekly. I probably have 150 for each on hand, but will shoot 100 tomorrow at a tournament./??

Overall not bad, but I would feel better with 1,000 .223 and 7.62x39, more buckshot, and definately more 38/357 and .40 cal.
    Last edited by sgtD; June 2nd, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Enough .308 and .30-06 to feed my FAL, M1 Garand(s), and Remington 700 for the duration...however long that may be...

Handgun ammo is a little short right now, though...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I have no idea what enough is, not trying to be clever but IMO a SHTF scenario where I live wouldn't be weather related but civil unrest, terrorism or virus outbreak. As such it would be mostly unprecedented in duration.

I know I don't have enough, I shoot a lot and it's difficult to keep any reserve. I buy FMJ for 9mm, .40 and .45 500 rounds at a time, so I might have 1500 rounds of that if the timing was right. I have a lot of .22 always, might be useful. I generally have about 10 boxes of various HPs, this needs to be improved upon.

I tell myself everyday that I need to start reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    I know I don't have enough, I shoot a lot and it's difficult to keep any reserve..
    Me too. I have been shooting and not restocking lately, purposly lowering my reserves, because i'm moving in a couple of months and ammo is heavy. I do think I'll buy a little more of the ones I mentioned being low on before I move though.

Senior Moderator
    .30 carbine 350 rds
    .38spl/357mag 200rds
    9mm 150 rds
    .380 50rds
    .308 300-350rds
    12ga 35rds 00, 25rds slug, 40rds #4 magnum, couple boxes 6 shot
    20ga 5 rounds #3, couple boxes 4 shot, sevearl boxes 6 and 7 shot
    .22lr 250-300 rds
    7.62x54R 144rds + whats's left of an open tin guess 50-70 rds

Not enough it's hard to keep a stock of what I shoot often.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Assistant Administrator
    Hard to ever know how much is enough - but I have been keeping stock up a bit more as prices and even availability have been hit this last coupla years.

One reason I have resumed reloading is because of cost increases, added to which I have accumulated a healthy stock of consumables. I am maybe close to halfways thru reloading - just pickin' away at it a bit every day or so. On the floor right now is ...

600 .38 spl
    450 .357 mag
    450 .45 acp
    250 9mm.
    150 45-70.

Already have some factory .45 acp - 300 or so. Probably 500 factory 9mm, and assorted amounts of odd stuff like 9mm Mak, and .308 and 7.62x25 etc.

Other stuff .... hmmm ........

2,500 or so 7.62x39
    3,000 approx 8mm mil.surp
    1200 or so .303 mil.surp - and 100 perhaps ''good stuff'.
    Case of Aus .308 and some remaining SA stuff.
    .223 - bit low right now - gotta reload - prob only 200 or so.
    1500 of nice 7.62 x 54R
    Approx 18 bricks of 22 bulk - so that's close to 10k, plus some better stuff.
    Low on .454 - needs reloading as does 44.mag.

Low on shotshells but enough consumables to make 2,000 - but probably only 300 to 400 hulls. Factory - probably 100 each 12G and 20G.

Ammo is a bit like non-perishable foodstocks - always better to have plenty around because times could occur when shortages really bite.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris, you brought up a good point. I'm glad to see that you distiguish between good stuff and other stuff. I hope others will too for the sake of discussion.

I stock cheaper stuff, maily Wolf or other russian ammo for my ak & sks, and mil surp or similar cheapos for my. 223 (mini-14). I figure I need more of those on hand as they are primary defensive weapons and can't afford to buy premuium ammo in bulk. (wish I could)

I usually only keep about 100 rnds of premium HD ammo for each pistol caliber and stock Winchester White Box, fiocchi, S&B, or something similar in price and quality for practice or for lean times.

In .308 I only have premium rounds that will print .75 moa or less out of my Savage 110. That rifle is for hunting and for long range accuracy if I need it so I don't keep a large quantity on hand.(under 300 usually) At $1 or more per round, I can't afford to, and you'd be in a heck of a scrape if you couldn't get yourself to safety before you put 300 rnds through a bolt action that only holds 5 at a time and it was all you had to rely on.

SHTF?

.223 -~1500rnds
    9mm-~1200
    .40cal-~500
    12ga-~300
    357 Mag- 300

Most of that is practice ammo, I keep around 100-200 rnds of HD ammo for the pistols on hand. The .223 ammo would be split between an AR-15 and a Ruger Mini-14. The shotgun has a mix of bird, 00, and slugs for whatever.

The scenario I think most likely to happen would a short duration deal. Like a weather related scenario due to location. Most of my choices are for what I would consider home defense related, not going out looking for trouble type ammo(hunting ammo etc). By short duration I mean maybe up to 3-4 wks of being on your own, anything beyond that is a whole different ballgame. Just my .02

SY

Administrator
    I have no idea what my true counts are, but I'd take a guess that there is at least 4 cases of .223, (1000 rd count) 4 of 7.62x39, 2 each of 9mm and 45, maybe 1 case of .40. I have countless boxes of 12 ga, mostly birdshot but a lot of 00 too. .22's... well I dont know. Lots. I bought some CCI overstock awhile back, and hardly touched it yet. I must have 20k rounds of .22. I need to burn some of that off...

My plan is leave the looters lay where they land for awhile, then others will stay away. Also, I look at ammo for more than its intended purpose, in a prolonged SHTF situation ammo will be a powerful bartering tool. Everybody has a .22 and a whole lot of people have a 12ga. If they dont, I can hook them up there too, as long as they have something I need.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

My plan is leave the looters lay where they land for awhile, then others will stay away.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    About 1500 of 223 with enough material on hand to make about another 2000 to feed the M4gery.

About 1500 of 30-06 to feed the M1.

I have very little 308 on hand because it is all match grade reloads that I use that strictly for fullbore prone.

About 800 of 22LR, again, strictly match grade stuff for SB prone.

About 1500 of 38 Special.

That should see me through just about anything.

Did you notice that on the Oriental rug sign that "looters will be shot" is painted in white so it will show up in the dark?

I have enough that I can use it to facilitate the retreival of more.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

.22lr ~3500
    .223 ~5000
    .308 ~50 (hope i don't need more - 3shots=1"@100yards whitebox goodness)
    9mm ~1500
    .45acp ~750
    .45colt ~500
    12Ga ~500

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Also, I look at ammo for more than its intended purpose, in a prolonged SHTF situation ammo will be a powerful bartering tool. Everybody has a .22 and a whole lot of people have a 12ga. If they dont, I can hook them up there too, as long as they have something I need.
    Yes, good thinking. I am glad to see that so many are stocked with 22LR. I think it will untimately be the most valuable in a prolonged situation for the reason you stated and because it's a good food getter.

Also, there are some folks who I care about who just don't get it, but if something ever happens they will and will need something. I have picked up a few cheap .22s over the years, like Marlin model 60s for $50 here and there. Not the best for some things, but better than nothing. Heck, you can carry 200 rounds in your front pocket.

I buy them in case I ever need to give them away, lend them out to the aforementioned people with a couple hundred rounds or trade them for stuff. Probably never happen, at least I hope not, but better to be prepared to help people if you need to.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links