Now that we have determined how much ammo we need for the SHTF, what about gun repair

Now that we have determined how much ammo we need for the SHTF, what about gun repair

This is a discussion on Now that we have determined how much ammo we need for the SHTF, what about gun repair within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you keep repair parts for your guns, books on how to do simple repairs, and have the confidence to do so. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many of you keep repair parts for your guns, books on how to do simple repairs, and have the confidence to do so.

I for one try to keep at least one package of repair parts for each of my weapons. I have books but am always looking for more and am very confident in my ability to repair them properly.

I also have the ability to reload all my ammunition if supplies run short.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Senior Moderator
    Oh, goodness, if I had to count all of the spare parts laying around for my guns I'd be counting for awhile. A good thing about 1911s is that so many parts are interchangeable

There's at least two of everything.

I don't know anything about the shotgun or the Sig (because it's new), but I can take every other gun down to its frame and rebuild it from scratch (and I've done it often). I know the different issues that can go wrong with my gun and the most obvious ways to fix them and how to fix them (or at least what to tell the gunsmith to fix or what parts to switch out). If I don't know, it's something bigger than me and needs to go to a 'smith.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    My buddy once asked me why I don't have NG capability on my Eo-techs, I replied. Night vision the good stuff is way to expensive. Plus if I ever have to use it, I'll be going up against another who probably already has it. So I look at it like this. A full combat load is all you need because if you need something like Night vision or more than 1000 rounds of 223, which will be fine for a typical AR to shoot without any repairs. You probably have been in a firefight with somebody that has much better equipment then you do. Therefore if I survive, I will be taking his Night vision, ammo, F/A M16, m-4 or SAW, thus resupplying what I would have needed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ok, you got me there... I have what I consider minimal spare parts.

I have a spare parts kit for the AR which has pins, springs, trigger group and a spare parts kit for the FAL which has about the same.

The SKS I just have a spare trigger group.

I also have a few parts for my 1911. Spare bushing, recoil spring, main spring and that's about it.

My Bug Out Plan is to hook up with a friend of mine who can fabricate just about anything and has the shop, and tools to do it with. He has a good portion of his machining tools and steel set up to be mobile if he or I are still alive. He also has the off road vehicles I don't have including a old military 714 Jeep 4x4 with Live Axles, PTO which runs 30k KW Military Generator (will power arc welder), exhaust snorkel, waterproofed distributor and 20 or 40 ton winch on the front.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Assistant Administrator
    Some main basic spares plus an established option to cannibalize one to serve another with important categories.

I should tho obtain a few more oddments when I stop to consider.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I've got a lathe and a mill. As long as there is power, I will make my own parts.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Therefore if I survive, I will be taking his Night vision, ammo, F/A M16, m-4 or SAW, thus resupplying what I would have needed.
    That has always been my overall thought. If the S were to catastropically hit the fan, then I frankly don't have enough money to purchase supplies, land, bomb bunkers, hire mercenaries, purchase tanks, etc. to store up for that kind of scenerio.

I have always pretty well came to the conclusion that I need to sustain myself with the basics for at least 30 days. By that time I should have allready established a guerila type scenerio where I am feeding off my dead enemy, or all things are calm and moving back into order.

OMO
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Senior Moderator
    where I am feeding off my dead enemy,
    Just make sure that he's less than 12 hours dead. After Rigor Mortis sets in, it makes one much harder to skin...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just make sure that he's less than 12 hours dead. After Rigor Mortis sets in, it makes one much harder to skin...
    LOL....

this is the exact reason I'm big on common guns for the grand shtf fantasy. AR/AK, 870, 1911, Glock, 10/22... you get the idea. parts are easy, guns are simple to work on and yes, I keep lots of peices parts on hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't have spare parts, I have spare guns! If one breaks, just grab another.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I can't help it, its the zombie ancestor in me.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Spares

First, to Sonofasniper and Hotguns...+10

I'm a Glock armorer and a general gun plumber and I have a small stockpile of spares for my primary SHTF stuff. Glock parts and AR 15 stuff mostly. Both are easy to repair and there are carriers made for the AR that will hold parts in the grip. Otis makes a great grip cleaning kit if you have an M4 style instead of the old hollow buttstock. It can fit a spare firing pin as well as a few pins (if you don't have to keep it full of batteries for all the typical optics, lights, etc)http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/stor...tup=1&cart_id=
    I've seen a tool that fits into the hollow Glock grip and one that had a punch built into a grip plug, Lone Wolf has it (part # RAU-100).
    See if you can get a quick class on your gun from your local gunsmith or perhaps http://www.americangunsmith.com/

Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    I don't have spare parts, I have spare guns! If one breaks, just grab another.
    Me too, though I do intend to stock some parts for the AKs and SKSs, just haven't done it yet. But the parts are interchagable from one rifle to the other within the model type, so unless the same part breaks on both AKs and both SKSs, I can swap parts and keep at least one of each running.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

spare parts? ...a few. SHTF scenario? that's why i have extra, already functional guns, all about, ready to use. and due to inspection and maintenance, i know those installed parts are going to keep going, and going, and going...
    What's this button do?

3 Sigs, no waiting! I am about to cycle them through the Sig service plan. That gets me new pins and springs and night sights on each of them for like $129 each. I will also get a pin and spring kit or two to keep around the house. I have some spare parts for the AR but nothing for the Savage. Also have some "disposable" rifles and handguns in various calibers. If they break, I won't miss them, unless of course they are all I have left!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links