Woman robbed while pumping gas for gas - Page 2

Woman robbed while pumping gas for gas

This is a discussion on Woman robbed while pumping gas for gas within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HighVelocity If someone tries to rob you while you're pumping gas, you've already got a weapon in your hand. Use it! A ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman robbed while pumping gas for gas

Quote Originally Posted by HighVelocity View Post
    If someone tries to rob you while you're pumping gas, you've already got a weapon in your hand. Use it! A fuel nozzle sprays a pretty focused, high volume of gasoline. A shot in the face will blind and soak the attacker....
    ...then all you need is a match!

I hear ya Scott... As I sprayed them, I would be saying... "I MAY die from your gunshot wound, but you are gonna die a Horrible, Horrible death from full body 3rd degree burns... Gotta Light?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was getting gas a couple of weeks ago, and the pump next to me was occupied by several...unsavory types. They stood and blocked one pump while what I guess was all their friends pulled cars, trucks, whatever up to full up on what I can only guess was a stolen credit card.
    One of the yahoos looked me up and down, cocked his head sideways, started grinning and walking towards me.
    I just took off my cover shirt...after all it was 80 degrees outside....i was starting to perspire. I didn't even act like a saw him. I heard him say something like "gringo is policia...or something. DON'T know what he was talking about. Just me...with a buzz cut...2 Wilson combat mags carried SOB and my polished Para 1911. I definitely DIDN'T look a cop...they carry Glocks :-)

They left right after that.

the ONLY time I've been glad that TN doesn't have a law against open carry
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

dunndw... sounds like you are one of those statistics that prof. John Lott talks about where armed citizens foil crime with just the mere presence of a handgun....

You know... one of those statistics that the anti-gunners deny ever happens...

Good Job Amigo!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post

the ONLY time I've been glad that TN doesn't have a law against open carry

Ha, I think we all have those moments, I know I've had one already.
    It isn't brandishing, it's just 'giving them a glimpse of an alternate future'...

Think I would think twice about shooting while pumping gas. Squirting gas in the bad guys face is a better solution. To top things off pull your bic lighter out and ask him if he needs a light. I don't think the BG will stay around for long

VIP Member
    I hate having to fill up; it places me right at the scene where bad things go down.

I have a locking gas cap. I fill up with my back to my pickup, and my head is always turning around to look everywhere. I have an Exxon Speedpass, so all I have to do is wave the plastic thingie on my keychain at the tiger and type in my zip code, and I'm good to go - no fiddling around with debit cards or having to go inside to pay with cash.

When I used to pay inside with cash, I saw a guy making a detour to walk past my pickup and look in the bed. I had junk back there. I stepped outside and glared at him right as he was scanning around to see if anyone was looking, and I silently mouthed, "Don't Even." I wouldn't have fought him for it, it was just junk. It's just silly what people do these days.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Awareness goes a long way in deterring criminals. They don't like to watched and want suprise on their side.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I fill up with my back to my pickup, and my head is always turning around to look everywhere.
    Ditto.

Never just watching the meter or staring at the gas handle as it sits in my car.

Last time I had to fill up was on my way home from work at around 2130 at night.

I stopped at the station, started filling and observing the people around me.

I was carrying in my shoulder holster and had my cover shirt on.

Some punk kid and his Halloween-party-looking girlfriend were fighting. When another car pulled up next to them, they stopped long enough to greet a couple more punk looking friends who started whooping and hollering as they went in the station.

They were making a lot of noise and just looked like they were LOOKING for trouble.

I could see into the station and could see that whatever they were saying or doing inside was REALLY annoying the clerk. He didn't look scared or worried, just REALLY annoyed.

One more car pulled up with more kids, screaming out their car windows, stereo so loud it was shaking the ground. The pulled in front of the pump on the back side of mine, so when they got out of their car they were no more than three feet away from me.

One of them got out of the car and looked me over before he started pumping gas and as he pumped he just kept staring at me.

I crossed my arms, unsnapped my shoulder rig and just stood there with my hand under my cover shirt, on my gun, LOOKING like I just had my arms crossed while waiting.

He was no more than three feet away. WAY too close for comfort, but so far no one had attempted to hurt anyone. I wasn't going to flash him or try to "show my teeth." In that case, even just flashing a gun might have actually induced them to do more than stare. Kids like that try to prove just how tough they are and who knows if there were any drugs involved.

The most that most likely would have happened would be one of them trying to hit on me, but it's about being prepared for the worst, not the most likely.

While I wasn't going to flash, I certainly wasn't going to be unprepared. The clerk was doing a pretty good job of keeping his eye on everyone, too.

Their little rice burner had a smaller tank than my Jeep so they were done before I was, piled in the car and drove over to where the rest of their friends were being idiots.

I snapped my shoulder rig back up, got in my car when my gas was done pumping and that was that.

Dosing in gas is certainly an option. It might take you longer to draw the gas pump out of your vehicle than it would to draw a gun. However, if someone came up to me and put something to my back, telling me it was a gun, I might go ahead and pull out the gas handle and dose him a good one. It's certainly something he wouldn't expect.

However, you have to consider that you will probably get some on yourself and if he shoots (if he does have a gun) you are BOTH going up in flames... same as if you shoot. It's not just the gas that's flammable either, it's the fumes. If a shot is taken you still might get burnt from all the gas fumes in the air from that kind of a spill.

If you are going to dose someone in gas, and he has a gun, that's when it's time to remember that you have the potential to go up in flames as well.

I'd go for the gun before I'd go for the gas hose, because who's to say the gas-soaked idiot still wouldn't shoot or try to tackle you out of anger of being sprayed with gas, and then you're a big ball of gasoline. If you shoot now, you're igniting both of you. If you don't shoot, or no one comes to help, it's up to you and your hand-to-hand (which, I'll admit, MINE SUCKS!).

If gasoline is not sprayed everywhere, you only have to worry about the fumes coming from your tank igniting which have a slim chance of doing so as long as you don't shoot THROUGH them.

But that's just Lima theory.

Ok, I'm sure there are a few members here who could benefit from a tactical run down on how to pump gas.

This is a procedure I implement partly inspired by Massad Ayoob's instructions on how to approach a Drive-Thru ATM.

Circle the Gas Station before entering, if necessary circle more than once. Pay close attention to the inside of the building, if anyone inside is acting suspiciously retreat to a safe distance and call 911. Pay particular attention to any cars parked rearwards, they are most likely BGs preparing attack or even already inside negotiating a hostage situation with the authorities, retreat immediately while calling 911. Also watch out for possible BGs in the dumpster, BGs have been known to congregate in dumpsters to socialize, take drugs and plan attacks.

After you are sure the area is safe approach a pump, remain in radio contact with your back up vehicle and with at least two of your cellphones ready to connect to 911. Do not parallel park next to the pump, you will be blocked in and killed! Park at a 45 degree angle, this will require at least three vehicles to trap you, if more than one vehicle approaches you be prepared to leave while calling 911.

Leave your engine running and the vehicle in drive, the possibility of any fire is negated by the certainty that as soon as you incapacitate your vehicle you will be swarmed by BGs. Get your back up vehicle in place (45 degrees to pump, rear of vehicle touching rear of your vehicle) via radio and one of the staff should commence the 'defensive gas routine'.

Keep him in your mirrors and in radio contact at all times, if he 'goes down' you are to leave immediately while calling 911. After he has finished filling your tank he should deposit your receipt through a 1/4" gap in your window, do not open the door under any circumstances.

You are now free to leave in formation, retain radio contact.

Job done, well done team.

Mr Ayoob, if you are indeed lurking here please accept my sincere apologies - satire is a form of flattery.

Senior Moderator
    Good one 0.02!

Administrator
    I dont know about the hose down with fuel... you will probably light yourself up too in the process. Besides at 3+ a gallon, bullets are cheaper.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Thought occurs too - if heavy gasoline vapor in the air in sufficient qty - just could be if things came down to shooting that muzzle flash could ignite one rather large fireball!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think we need to put a spin on this.
    I don't pump gas I pump diesel in my truck. Does diesel have the same incapacitating qualities as gas? I know it has a lower flash point so you don't have to worry about igniting it with a gun shot. Hell you can't even burn it with a match. What do you think? Does my diesel truck have a tactical advantage?
    Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    Beer the cause of and solution to all lifes small problems.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

http://www.ronpaul2008.com

0.02... You gettin your gas in Baghdad?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links