Friend's Scary Situation

This is a discussion on Friend's Scary Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With 1 child , pursue for sure, with more than 1 child ,if a shot is possible, take it. If not try to follow as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friend's Scary Situation

Lead Moderator
    With 1 child , pursue for sure, with more than 1 child ,if a shot is possible, take it. If not try to follow as close as possible w/ remaining children. Yell for help, call 911 , try to get as good of description of person , vehicle and direction of travel.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm probably going to be in the low minority when I say this, but I'd take the shot and I'll tell you why...

1. He's already running when he grabs my baby, meaning he's caught me off guard and he's got at least 15 yards on me when I even REALIZE what's going on. Yes, I'll take chase while screaming and doing everything I can to get anyone else to come to my aide, I AM NOT letting him enter any vehicle or get too far without pulling my gun and taking a shot though.

2. I'm sorry, but I would rather risk the life of my child than watch that child be taken away from me and not know (possible for the rest of my life) what happened to my child, where my child is, if he's dead or alive, being tortured or molested or used, or any other number of horrible things that kidnappers do.

I would rather bury my baby than wonder and agonize about him for the rest of my life.

If someone is running away with my child, the last thing I'm going to resort to is going to be lethal violence, but I will shoot to keep from having to wonder for the rest of my life.

P.S. Any friend/family member who "pranked" me like that would get an ear full and then a beating!

JD
    Administrator
    If I was in the exact same position as Betty's friend, I would have to agree with Lima on this.

Had to think about it for a bit...I've got two kids, and I honestly think my reaction would be different depending on which kid was grabbed (no, I wouldn't let them keep either one)

If it was my daughter, I'd pursue, and if an opportunity to take the shot presented itself, I would.

If it was my son.. I'd take the shot right away.

The difference in reactions for me is semi-tactical.. my son is older, if I have to run off after someone he can run after me (granted, he can't keep up, but I'd at least know he was following me and relatively safe).

My daughter can't follow, and I wouldn't trust anyone to watch her for me..putting me in the position of having to give chase while carrying her. And I know I'm not a good enough shot to hit someone while they're running, and I'm running and carrying a scared toddler.

If I was a bystander and had the position, I would have applied a full body block. I weigh 270 LB so there is a lot of body to stop him. If I didn't have the position I would have chased him to get a description of the perp and vehicle. If the situation dictated a good shot angle I would have taken the shot. I would not and will not just stand around and watch something like this happen. I get sooo angry when I hear of a crowd of people standing around watching a crime being committed and no one steps up to help. Some of us are sheep dogs by nature.

If ANY of my relatives would have done this to one of my kids, it would have taken a team of surgeons to remove my size 11 from their rear!!! Uncle or not, we would have been doing some SERIOUS talking away from the kids.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I feel for anyone who grabs my 16 year old...

They will pay dearly for me to take her back...

damn... did I say that out loud...?

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm probably going to be in the low minority when I say this, but I'd take the shot and I'll tell you why...

1. He's already running when he grabs my baby, meaning he's caught me off guard and he's got at least 15 yards on me when I even REALIZE what's going on. Yes, I'll take chase while screaming and doing everything I can to get anyone else to come to my aide, I AM NOT letting him enter any vehicle or get too far without pulling my gun and taking a shot though.

2. I'm sorry, but I would rather risk the life of my child than watch that child be taken away from me and not know (possible for the rest of my life) what happened to my child, where my child is, if he's dead or alive, being tortured or molested or used, or any other number of horrible things that kidnappers do.

I would rather bury my baby than wonder and agonize about him for the rest of my life.

If someone is running away with my child, the last thing I'm going to resort to is going to be lethal violence, but I will shoot to keep from having to wonder for the rest of my life.

P.S. Any friend/family member who "pranked" me like that would get an ear full and then a beating!
    Beautifully said.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

That is a really messed up joke. My friends know that if anybody gets near my sister while I am around, they can expect a knife in the back or a bullet in the chest.

On the other note, if I was a bystander and saw that happen, I would honestly just stand there with a dumbfounded look until she screams something, I guess in a way so that it would a unconscious mental cue that, "hey, this is not supposed to happen".

Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    Had to think about it for a bit...I've got two kids, and I honestly think my reaction would be different depending on which kid was grabbed (no, I wouldn't let them keep either one)

If it was my daughter, I'd pursue, and if an opportunity to take the shot presented itself, I would.

If it was my son.. I'd take the shot right away.

The difference in reactions for me is semi-tactical.. my son is older, if I have to run off after someone he can run after me (granted, he can't keep up, but I'd at least know he was following me and relatively safe).

My daughter can't follow, and I wouldn't trust anyone to watch her for me..putting me in the position of having to give chase while carrying her. And I know I'm not a good enough shot to hit someone while they're running, and I'm running and carrying a scared toddler.

I'm with JOS on this one...mine are 4 and 6. If its the 6yr old and I have my 4yr old with me....the perp gets shot ASAP. If its my younger one I will pursue with my son following. Though in either case if they get too far ahead i will take a shot. I too will NOT let them get out of my sight if I can in any way stop them......

I'd shoot, I'm overweight (can't run far and fast) and I figure that it they get away with my daughter, she's dead.
    Also, as a child I was always told if approached by someone who tries to kidnap you, RUN, you stand a much better chance of surviving a gunshot wound to the back than being found alive after being kidnapped.

FMC

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flmitchell View Post
    Now his partner(s) have 2 more kids in their "care". Beautiful diversion...
    Then I gotta ask, what is your alternative? Stay with the two younger ones, let the kidnapped one go, and say, "Oh well, two out of three ain't bad"?

I'm saying that I would hope that a store employee or someone -- preferably a group of people, would each prevent anyone else from taking the kids away while I hunted down the abductor.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I vote for beating first, then earful.
    You want to make sure you've got his full attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    A former classmate posted this in her blog:

She's not armed, but even if she was and this was not a prank, it'd be hard to shoot without risking shooting her own child. And if she ran after him, she'd be leaving the other two kids behind and alone.

What would you have done?
    Man, that is a bad prank to pull on anyone.

I hate to say it but, if he got more than 2 or 3 steps away before I realized it was my brother, he may have been shot in the back.

And that boys and girls, is why it is not smart to mess with anyones kids.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Scary, uncomfortable topic.

So it makes for a good thread.

As others have pointed out more eloquently than I can, it depends on the situation.

It also depends heavily on the kid. Mine are old enough to be able to do some stuff. The youngest two, in particular, are fighters by nature and have been taught to resist. They didn't need much teaching.

The older two are different. The boy is 17 and weighs in excess of 200 pounds. I'm not too worried about him.

The oldest daughter, though, gives me gray hairs. She is 16 and may weigh 105 soaking wet. She may have the will- I'm not as sure about her as I am about her 13-year old sister and 9-year old brother. You might be able to haul them off against their will, but it won't be an easy deal.

Even if she does have the will she doesn't have the skill.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

This is really an eye opening scenario

I think that that most people that would be witness to this are in the same surreal world of thinking what they are wanting for dinner. Completely unaware of what is going on around them.
    When something like this happens it is almost like your watching a show or a skit. Taking it all in wondering is this for real? By the time your brain tells your body that, Hey, dummy, someone needs your help!, the BG has increased their distance. Having this happen in a store where it could be locked down is a plus. This sort of thing could have happened just as easily in a parking lot with the same reactions from bystanders. The BG would have plenty of opportunity to escape. This is chilling and unfortunately very hard to defend against, especially if you have other small children in your arms. The only advise I can think of in this situation is to use the 'buddy system' when taking this many children out in public at such a young age. This could be another adult, friend family with you.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links