When is it justified to fire into a crowd? Merge

This is a discussion on When is it justified to fire into a crowd? Merge within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never thought about facing a mob like this, 10-20+ people trying to kill you. My carry gun has 9 rounds of .45 with ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is it justified to fire into a crowd? Merge

I have never thought about facing a mob like this, 10-20+ people trying to kill you. My carry gun has 9 rounds of .45 with 2 spare 8 rounders. So basically i have 9 rounds to get some distance on them or back them off before i get my own gun shoved up my you know what. Yeah that would suck, plain and simple, and its the first time i have thought 9 rounds wouldn't be enough.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I hate to ask but we had a similar case in NY where a driver hit a child in a neighborhood and was beaten to death for it. In that particular case there were some "racial differences" between the driver (Jewish) and child/mob (black).

Was this racially motivated?
    I remember that, i was working in the city when that happened, if i remember correcty it was the border of harlem and spanish harlem. That was definetly racially motivated.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

If the passenger were armed (lets pretend me) then trying to stop the mob by hand is not the way to even start.

I think I'd shout at them from some distance (so long as I'm outside of their immediate reach, preferably with the car or something between me and them). Then when they start beating my friend senseless (sorry bud, but your gonna take a few lumps) I fire at the most aggressive perp. Hopefully they've been ignoring me so I can take a relatively stress free and well aimed shot, and clearly this crowd was intent and capable of great bodily harm, and was in fact in the act of committing it. If the crowd turned on me, up to 8 more of them would develop leaks. At no point do I go hand to hand with a freakin' mob.
    Last edited by Cupcake; June 20th, 2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: 'because
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sad Story: Could it have been avoided?

Sad Story: How would you handle this situation?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4905631.html

AUSTIN — A crowd attacked and killed a passenger in a vehicle that had struck and injured a child, police said today.
    Last edited by P95Carry; June 20th, 2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Pruned, as repeating OP's info

That is why I avoid festivals that attract thousands, mob mentality takes over

VIP Member
    As the passenger with a mob like that, it seems like you're pretty well screwed! I would hope I'd draw and try to save my own life.

If I was the driver watching the mob descend on the passenger... I guess that would depend on who the passenger was!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I hate to ask but we had a similar case in NY where a driver hit a child in a neighborhood and was beaten to death for it. In that particular case there were some "racial differences" between the driver (Jewish) and child/mob (black).

Was this racially motivated?
    Not certain the driver and passenger were hispantic and the crowd was black.

And now from Milwaukee...

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/1962.html

What is with this Juneteenth celebration? I never heard of it before today and now we have mobs attacking drivers in two states during it.
    Last edited by Scott; June 21st, 2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: ToS violation

what a bunch of animals

From the Wikipedia Article on Juneteenth celebration:

Violence

Some large Juneteenth celebrations have been marred by violence perpetuated by attendees. At the 2007 celebration in Syracuse, New York, several fights broke out amongst youths at the event. This lead to the event being shut down early.[7] Similar incidents occured in Milwaukee, Wisconsin following the 2007 Juneteenth celebration.[8] In Austin, Texas, a man was killed by a mob after the driver of the car he was in struck and injured a small child.[9] These incidents were the result of the actions of a small percentage of attendees and organizers have expressed desires to educate young people so that such incidents are prevented in the future.[7][8]

It's nice that the organizers are trying to 'educate the young people' not to gather in unruly mobs that murder innocent bystanders.

How exactly does one go about this type of education?

What's to handle? Me and my little 9mm aren't going to alter this situation with that many people involved. I would get out of there as fast as possible.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Here we go...

Found it.

Opening lines to the movie "Boondock Saints"

MONSIGNOR
    (loud, authoritative)
    ...and I am reminded of this holy
    day of the sad story of Kitty
    Geneviese. This poor soul cried out
    time and time again for help but no
    person answered her calls. Though
    many saw, not one so much as called.
    Her assailant wiped the bloody knife
    off on her lifeless little body.
    They watched as he simply walked
    away. Nobody wanted to get involved.
    Nobody wanted to take a stand... We
    must fear evil men and deal with
    them accordingly but what we must
    truly guard against, what we must
    fear most
    (beat)
    Is the indifference of good men.

I don't know why but the last 2 lines really sunk in for me.

but what we must
    truly guard against, what we must
    fear most
    (beat)
    Is the indifference of good men.

I see this as the main problem with todays society. To many people are of the "I don't want to get involved", "Its none of my buisness" mentality. If there were a larger percentage that didn't mind helping their brothers/neighbors out a little more, and watching thier backs the world would be a better place.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Well, as someone who has done a fair amount of "crowd control" type work at concerts and such, once the mob turns ugly and violent, it takes a lot to get it to change. People get bolder when they are part of the mob.

It seems like for the passenger defending himself by any means would be justified. Blunt force trauma is not cool, remember that in something like this, if you get knocked out and hit your head on the concrete, that can be it. Even without handheld weapons a hard immobile surface can cause quite severe injuries.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I probably would have stopped (if I were the driver) but if things looked iffy, I would have taken off quickly.

If Mr. Morales were going to end it, he needed a shotgun, and would have had to pick someone to kill at random, to make an impression. Not a great choice, but effective in crowd control. He would have had to keep the momentum going, and get rolling with the driver real quick.

Having lived in TX, I find the discussions on the Chronicle page amusing.
    Last edited by Scott; June 21st, 2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: ToS violation edited out

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    what a bunch of animals
    And sometimes...animals must be 'put to sleep'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links