Police Help

This is a discussion on Police Help within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering, I saw a different thread and kinda was thinking, if lets say you saw a cop by himself fighting with another guy at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Help

Police Help

Just wondering, I saw a different thread and kinda was thinking, if lets say you saw a cop by himself fighting with another guy at just a traffic stop on the side of the road. Do you go and help, or watch and probably call 911, or just keep driving along thinking its not my problem?

Will the cop want your help, other then calling 911 telling them what you see, he doesn't know if your the guys friend or just someone that wants to help.

would you say anything as your approaching, to say your intentions to the officers (if you did go and help).

I have see clips on TV and the internet that show people watching a cop brawling off in the distance, they just pull over and watch from 100 yards away. Myself, I would want to go and help, but I also don't want to get shot by sneaking up on a officer. So honestly I don't know what I would do, probably depends on the situation like any other scenario

2. Remove Ads

I would definitely help, the problem would be assuring that the LEO didn't think I was a second BG. I guess a swift kick to the back of the head of the BG holding him down would help prove my good intentions.

Lead Moderator
    depending on how far away I was I would call in 911 and report, but either way I would stop and help the officer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'd announce myself and ask if he wants help...then I'll help.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I would call 911, Describe myself to the dispatcher. I would then announce my self to the LEO, and ask if I could help.

I don't think I would know what I would do until the situation presented itself. Its impossible to know whats really going on. At a minimum I'd call 911 and be a good witness.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

1943 - 2009
    I would call 911 and I would offer my assistance to the officer.

In some jurisdictions, it's a crime to refuse to come to the aid of a law enforcement officer when the officer orders you to assist him. There's usually a caveat in these statutes that says the officer can't order you to do something that would put your life in danger.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

A very high percentage of LEO's killed in the line of duty are during fights when they are alone at a car stop on the side of the road!

I would absolutely help! I respond to all deputies call for help in the town where I live if I am home and hear the broadcast.

If I am out in my car and see a cop fighting for his life at the side of the road in an area where I live, they all know who I am so being identified as a good guy isn't as imperative as if I am out in a different jurisdictions.

If I am out of the area where the LEO's do not know me on sight I would still stop and help. As approaching I would ID myself as an off duty special deputy (which I am, I don't have arrest powers but have been deputized) and ask if he needs help apprehending suspect.

If I were a civilian I would just say "Hey, I'm a ccw holder, how can I assist you?"

If it was appropriate to do so, I would call 911 first on my cell phone but often times by the time you arrive on scene, the fight has probably been on long enough where the cop is in serious trouble and near exhaustion so every second you take on the phone is more seconds where the cop could get shot and killed. (also where I live, calling 911 on your cell phone may get answered by a 911 center in another state. All the time wasting critical seconds the officer may not have)

If you are in a fight that lasts more than a minute and a half, things really start going down hill fast.

almost forgot... IMHO! (standard disclaimer)
    Last edited by Bark'n; June 21st, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Helping those who help us

+1 on dialing 911, IF/WHEN possiable. Chances are the officer has been engaged in the tussle for more than a couple of seconds and the situation is already going down hill for the officer. I would jump in AND announce myself as there to assist the officer. The officer is very much in a fight and unable to call in back-up OR is able to safely (the OFFICERS safty) bring his side arm, tazer, OC to bear on the subject......and me (or you) jumping in will certinly put odds in favor of the officer.....I (and you I'll wager) do not want to be in the line of fire, receive ANY level of OC contamination, or ride the lightning, so be prepared to assist and FULLY COMMIT, and obey every order given by the officer.

I AM NOT an LEO......I am part of an auxilary security force for a Military Base ( my primary job right now is instruction/teaching tactical warfare stuff to military personnel) and if I'm dealing with a situation like that......be it a traffic stop, disturbance, whatever, I'd want help......BUT the person rendering assistance to me had better let me know he/she is on my side and voice that intention QUICKLY and at HIGH VOLUME!.....But be prepared to back off quickly if the officer in question is going to bring HIS weapon (or tazer, or OC) on the subject.

Much to consider...but an excellent thread and excellent responses on this subject....why I love thif forum and the educated experiences/opinions posted here!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's kind of interesting to imagine how it would go:

You approach the officer and the assailant tussling.
    You are armed.
    You shout out, "Officer, I will help you if you need assistance."
    Officer says, "Yes! I need help!"
    You say, "Should I shoot the man who's attacking you?"
    Officer says, "Yes! Anything!"
    You draw, and man attacking officer suddenly has his hands in the air.
    You inform the officer, "I think you ought to slug him in the face and stomach a few times just to make sure he's not gonna resist anymore. I didn't see nuthin'!"

YES............
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It's kind of interesting to imagine how it would go:

You approach the officer and the assailant tussling.
    You are armed.
    You shout out, "Officer, I will help you if you need assistance."
    Officer says, "Yes! I need help!"
    You say, "Should I shoot the man who's attacking you?"
    Officer says, "Yes! Anything!"
    You draw, and man attacking officer suddenly has his hands in the air.
    You inform the officer, "I think you ought to slug him in the face and stomach a few times just to make sure he's not gonna resist anymore. I didn't see nuthin'!"
    bravo
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

HAHAHA.

I like that peacefuljeffrey.

Administrator
    I dont think I could ever leave other person on his own like that if in trouble, LEO or not. You do need to use caution though before you put your cape on and rush in to save the day. Your immediate concern is returning home to your family, not being a hero.
    Is there another BG standing by? Are you sure what you are seeing is really whats going on? Am I really capable of helping, or am I a liability?
    Once its all over, dont be a pest eithier. Give the officer what he needs, and if he doesnt need anything more- BUG OUT! He has his plate full and most likely wont want to hang out with you. I had this happen before, the guy did help me but then thought we were best friends and wanted to swap stories on the side of the road when I got a po'd prisoner who is just stewing in my car. I'll look you up later to thank you, but I got to go now before the BG boils over again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Absolutely would help in whatever way I could.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links