Had to draw, but that ended it...

This is a discussion on Had to draw, but that ended it... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I never expected to actually ever have to draw my weapon. Certainly, I'm prepared... I train regularly, I participate here, I have many friends ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw, but that ended it...

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar

Had to draw, but that ended it...

OK, I never expected to actually ever have to draw my weapon. Certainly, I'm prepared... I train regularly, I participate here, I have many friends involved with CCW... still, you never think you'll be in a situation where you'll have to make a decision.

I was anointed to sit in on what was expected to be a tense termination of an employee. They wanted a witness, and wanted extra muscle in the room should it get physical.

It was the most intense reaction I've ever seen, and I've personally done more than 40 terminations. He was belligerent and threatening, and three of us had to forcibly remove him from the building.

He drove off, and we thought that was the end of it. However, about 30 minutes later, I saw his vehicle coming back around the corner to the front of the building. Of course, my first thought was "He went home and armed himself."

Without even thinking about it, I jumped up and ran to the front door and shouted to another manager who is CCW and a veteran of Vietnam and Dessert Storm. We took up flank positions and were waiting for him as he exited his car, 12 gauge pump action in hand. I yelled at him that if he even started to point his shotgun in our direction, we would fire and we ordered him to leave the property. After yelling a few obscenities, he jumped in his car and drove away.

I think he was completely surprised that we were ready for him... he thought he'd be able to march right into the business and do whatever it was he planned to do.

I'm glad it ended without anyone having to fire a shot, but now I know for sure... with adrenalin pulsing... I went into autopilot and the training I've taken took over. My hands were surprisingly steady, and I'm confident I could have shot accurately if it had come to that. Now my adrenalin is wearing off, and I'm physically drained!

Now the situation is in the capable hands of law enforcement, who incidentally were very supportive of CCW and thought we had probably prevented a major catastrophe. One LEO asked if I'd had to fire, would I have aimed for his arm or leg... I said "If by arm or leg you mean head, then yes." He laughed and replied "Good man!"

Oh yeah... I almost didn't carry today... I was not really dressed to conceal, and all I could manage was my little P3AT. Just goes to show that it's never a "safe" day to leave your gun at home.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good stuff, incredipete. It's much nicer reading your post then the normal "disgruntled employee kills XX people" headline we normally see. Good thing you weren't in a "criminal empowerment zone" and were authorized to carry.

It sounds like your quick thinking and situational awareness truly prevented a tragedy.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

seems like you handled the situaton very well, had you not noticed him aproach the building with the shotgun , things could have gotten real bad
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

JD
    Administrator

Thumbs up

My hat's off to you and your co-worker, a job very well done!

It was definitely helpful that there were two of us there to put the odds more in our favor. Still, given the circumstances, it couldn't have turned out better.

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)

Wow! Great way for things to turn out. Of course, me being in Maryland I would have had to point to the "No guns on the Premises" policy in the Employee handbook... but good job!

Sounds like you had a hell of a day. Glad you and your coworkers are all right.

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    Oh yeah... I almost didn't carry today... I was not really dressed to conceal, and all I could manage was my little P3AT. Just goes to show that it's never a "safe" day to leave your gun at home.
    This experience definitely provides you (and all of us) a lesson in why it's so important to carry all the time. Nobody is going to make an appointment with you for a gunfight. They'll decide the time and place themselves and only tell you at the last minute.

A little kel-tec wouldn't be my first choice of a weapon to go up against a lunatic with a shotgun with. Do you think this experience will change your choice of which of your guns to carry?

That could have had a horrible ending had you & another CCWer not been there. Good job!

So how did the TV interview go? I'm sure every station in town was eager to show how two responsibly armed civilians averted a major tragedy!

I bet they play the story on the major networks too!

Joe

HAHAHAHAHA!

I'm pretty sure nothing like this has ever been in the paper, nor will it.

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good job. You probably saved several lives, including your own, without even firing a shot.

Stories like this always make me uncomfortable, knowing I can't carry to work, and it absolutely can happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!

I'm pretty sure nothing like this has ever been in the paper, nor will it.
    Seriously, call your local news station. Point them to the police report.

This is great stuff for Pro 2A.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Good job, glad things turned out okay for you & your co-workers.

1943 - 2009
    What JD said. Job well done! Congratulations! You can cover my six anytime.

One LEO asked if I'd had to fire, would I have aimed for his arm or leg
    I hope he was smiling when he asked this!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Very well done. And your actions made the difference between a horror story on CNN and a loose cannon that will hopefully be prosecuted.

You don't work for the Postal Service, do you?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links