20 minutes for LEO

20 minutes for LEO

This is a discussion on 20 minutes for LEO within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is really somewhat of a humorous story, but yet has some very serious issues. I was woke up at about 2:00 am by a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 minutes for LEO

VIP Member

20 minutes for LEO

This is really somewhat of a humorous story, but yet has some very serious issues.
    I was woke up at about 2:00 am by a dog wimpering outside. I live about 8 miles outside of town. I got up, looked outside and saw a small dog on my porch crying ( it was raining ). I opened the door and quietly tried to shoo it away. My daughter's (17 yrs old ) bedroom is pretty close to the front door so I was trying to be as quiet as possible. After taking my foot and gently pushing the dog away and saying "git, git , go on", I closed the door and went back to bed. After a few minutes, the dog began scratching on the door and yiping. I got back up, more frustrated, opened the door and was a little more agressive but still trying to be quiet. This scenerio happened one more time before the dog got quiet.
    I was laying in bed , eyes shut, when I noticed a light in my eyes. I opened my eyes and saw a light shining through my side window. I then noticed the light was coming from a car. I got up and saw the car turn into my driveway and noticed it was a cop. I thought to myself "this is a strange coincidence". ( At this point, can anyone guess why the cop was there ??).
    He got out of his car and began walking towards my door. I threw on some clothes and went to the door. I opened the door and the Officer asked " Is everything ok here?" I said yes and about that time my daughter stepped out of her bedroom and was on her cell phone saying " yes he's here, thank you very much". I looked at her kinda puzzled and she said " I called them, I thought you were in here struggling with someone". I said , "well step up here and explain to the man why you called". I had to explain I was shooing the dog away and thats what she heard. He made sure everything was ok, we thanked him and he left.
    When he walked up to the door, it was like he already expected it to be nothing really going on. As far as he knew, I was being assaulted in my home and fighting for my life. But he just casually walked to the door like nothing was going on.
    After the officer left, I told my daughter she did the right thing. She sat in her room terrified waiting the the LEO to arrive. I asked her how long it took from the time she called, she looked at her watch and said "exactly 20 minutes".
    In 20 minutes time and entire family could be raped and butchered. As far as the LEO knew, I was fighting for my life and it still took 20 minutes. I live in a rural area and I know they are spread thin, but I would think a terrified girl calling saying my daddy is struggling with someone would be a priority. I think I'll stay armed.

Senior Moderator
    20 minutes is a great response where I am at.

I have run lights and siren in my own county and taken over an hour to get to a call that was on the other end of the county.

And yes, lots of things can happen it a short time. One can go from breathing to not in less than a minute.

All the more reason for being responsible for ones own well being.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

well it is a good thing it was just a misunderstanding then. we have a problem here with cops getting anywhere quick and we actually have quite a few in the city here........

VIP Member
    I hope more than one minute response times for the police are not a surprise to anyone here. The best response I have ever had was 90 seconds. It is what it is. You don't know where they are or what they are doing.

As for his apparent nonchalant attitude, his experience could be that when he arrives at these types of calls and sees a quiet scene, no lights on anywhere, on a rainy night that it is a false alarm type of call. Maybe he is a total idiot, who knows. I'm thinking the former is the most likely explanation.

As for staying armed, that is prudent. Self defense situations can occur/conclude before you can even make a call to summon the police.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Robere, I think I'm just a few counties over from you. Here in Calloway Co. there are only two deputies on duty on any given night and I don't think they ever really stray too far from each other.

Of course, my county is pretty dull, crimewise, which is a Good Thing. I have heard calls on the scanner, however, pretty urgent ones... that it takes them up to 20-30 minutes to get to, providing they're not already tied up. I think the worst response times are around KY Lake and Blood River Bay; winding little roads and the bay extends deep into the county. Then, there's the large area of TVA property bordering mine that the county doesn't even police. That's the job of the TVA police which are usually about an hour and a half away down in Tennessee.

We had an incident one evening when my wife and I were in the next town over attending a class, a friend from out of state was staying at the house with her daughter so our 13 year old daughter stayed with them. They saw a strange guy come out of our woods and wander around in a field behind the house before coming up and knocking on the door. The friend, a "city girl" from Nashville, was terrified and called the sheriff's department. He'd been gone for a while before anyone showed up. We found out about it after we got home later that night. Turned out it was only a guy that lived in the area out looking for his lost dog.

For us... really... any plan for dealing with an emergency doesn't even involve emergency services. We're so remote the deps would only be good for taking a report afterward, the fire department could come and put out the burning coals around our chimney, and waiting on an ambulance would be almost comical... better off throwing someone in the back of the truck and going for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    Robere, I think I'm just a few counties over from you. Here in Calloway Co. there are only two deputies on duty on any given night and I don't think they ever really stray too far from each other.

Of course, my county is pretty dull, crimewise, which is a Good Thing. I have heard calls on the scanner, however, pretty urgent ones... that it takes them up to 20-30 minutes to get to, providing they're not already tied up. I think the worst response times are around KY Lake and Blood River Bay; winding little roads and the bay extends deep into the county. Then, there's the large area of TVA property bordering mine that the county doesn't even police. That's the job of the TVA police which are usually about an hour and a half away down in Tennessee.

We had an incident one evening when my wife and I were in the next town over attending a class, a friend from out of state was staying at the house with her daughter so our 13 year old daughter stayed with them. They saw a strange guy come out of our woods and wander around in a field behind the house before coming up and knocking on the door. The friend, a "city girl" from Nashville, was terrified and called the sheriff's department. He'd been gone for a while before anyone showed up. We found out about it after we got home later that night. Turned out it was only a guy that lived in the area out looking for his lost dog.

For us... really... any plan for dealing with an emergency doesn't even involve emergency services. We're so remote the deps would only be good for taking a report afterward, the fire department could come and put out the burning coals around our chimney, and waiting on an ambulance would be almost comical... better off throwing someone in the back of the truck and going for it.
    I'm in Mccracken County. I know if my house caught fire, its goodbye house.
    I know the cops are spread thin and its going to take a while to get here. I see accidents here on my highway all the time and it takes a while for a cop to get here then too. Gotta look out for #1.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Gotta look out for #1.
    Yup, there are a lot of reasons it takes some time to get from call to call. Traffic, distance, communication lag- all of these and more are factors.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    That story is sad but true, and also has to be remembered when thinking about self defense.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member

20 minutes for LEO

That would be fast in some NC counties.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    There are lots of families up here where it will take hours to respond. Yet the government insists they call the police for protection. Needless to say most have other means.

Around here, response time is pretty good. My house alarm went off (2-way communication), and the police were at the door in about 5 minutes.

"In 20 minutes time and entire family could be raped and butchered. As far as the LEO knew, I was fighting for my life and it still took 20 minutes. I live in a rural area and I know they are spread thin, but I would think a terrified girl calling saying my daddy is struggling with someone would be a priority. I think I'll stay armed."

Good post. Comanche county, OK is larger than the state of Rhode Island. After normal work hours there are two deputies on duty. One is in the eastern part of the county the other in the west. Do not count on law enforcement being there on time: Keep those guns handy.

There have been real reported stories in the news toward my hometown of D.C. having police, ambulance, and fire response taking as long or longer.

IIRC average response time there is like 9 minutes for rescue and and 7 for police.
    I currently live in rural W. MA with the fire dept. being 4 blocks from me, approximately a 10 minute walk with my 4 yr. old daughter in tow. I can do it alone in half that time. The police station is another block away from the FD maybe a 60 sec. walk.
    Last summer I called the FD to report my neighbors linked fire alarm system going off while they, the neighbors, were on vacation. This was during the early day roughly at 1PMish on a non-holiday Saturday and the weather was clear & sunny. I timed it with the stop watch feature of my watch from the time I hit 'send' on my phone to the first truck arriving, the time elapsed was 18 minutes (!). That truck was a paramedic truck with two medics. I told them what was going on and they got on the radio to call for backup. Four minutes later a police showed up and checked out their doors and windows to see if any were open. As he was doing that 3 minutes later the first of two fire trucks arrived and only then did they breech the home by force.
    Total elapsed time toward usefulness; 25 minutes.
    In that time my neighbors house had there actually been a real fire and not their alarm system malfunctioning would have gone up in huge flames being like my house built in the 1800s made from totally untreated non fire retardant materials. Spark, flame, combustibles...poof your house is gone.

I told my wife about this (she was out with our kids) and that it's yet another reason why I keep multiple fire extinguishers in our home on every floor and in the kitchen, in the basement at the bottom of the stair, in the garage, and in total 8 of them. She thought I was a nut to do so. Same applies toward keeping a dog around the house (early warning system) and firearms.

The emergency services people do the best they can but not one of them is Superman with capability to provide instantaneous and positive results, contrary to seemingly popular assumption & belief.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    In my small city the response time is about 3 to 8 min's depending of course where the closest patrol car is when the call goes out.
    For God, Family and Country!

Janq,

Very wise on the fire extinguishers! I have them too and don't care who says I'm "paranoid".

Odd - I've never been called that by a medical person; only by people who don't like guns, don't own fire extinguishers, have never taken a CPR course, and don't know how to change a flat tire.

20 minutes is good time! Expect faster in the city or suburbs, but not in rural America.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Retractable claws... the original concealed carry
    http://www.bayourifles.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links