Observed an Assault today

This is a discussion on Observed an Assault today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took the wife and kids to the spash pad at the local city park this afternoon. As my kids (ages 6, 3) were ...

Thread: Observed an Assault today

So I took the wife and kids to the spash pad at the local city park this afternoon. As my kids (ages 6, 3) were playing in the water, my wife and I observed a couple get into an argument about 30 yards away. Suddenly the guy punched the woman, sending her to her knees. He then stood over her yelling a couple other comments. The guy looked to be in his early 20's and had "gangsta" look with the baggy pants, oversized t-shirt, hat on sideways.

I immediately got up and starting moving towards my kids in the splash pad to get between them and the while watching this guy. After 20-30 seconds he took off toward a car parked on the street about 80 yards away, got in and drove off.

I was NOT carrying. I just got my permit to carry in the mail last week and had ordered a holster for my Glock on Friday. It was a terrible feeling not to have my gun to protect my wife and kids had he pulled a weapon. After checking to make sure the woman who had been hit didn't need medical attention and had called the cops, I got my family out of there. I was concerned that the guy might return.

Besides having a gun with (obviously), what would you have done differently?
    Muskiehunter-

Lead Moderator
    Sounds good. Maybe get a decript., lisence plate # , direction of travel and call 911, while your wife got the kids out? Best not to step into a domestic dispute.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I wouldn't have been carrying either, no carry in parks here in TN.

I would've had one hand on the cellphone and the other guiding the kids as far away as appropriate, possibly to the car. I would visually gauge the woman's condition and call 911 if necessary on her behalf.

If challenged by him for witnessing this act I would try and avoid confrontation, keep him in sight, leave but be ready to defend with whatever I had.

You did right to leave before he came back, he may have been getting some friends.

1943 - 2009
    what would you have done differently?
    Nothing. Your reaction to the scenario as you described it was altogether appropriate. The safety of your family is your first priority. Once your family is out of harm's way, then you can render aid or assistance to the victim, if needed.

In general, as a private citizen, you have no legal obligation to go to the aid of a stranger. Whether you have a moral obligation to do so is up to you. It is your decision. I mention this because a situation like you described is the subject of a magazine article I just finished reading.

Every now and then, what I like to call a "landmark" article is published in a gun magazine. The article is titled Heroic Consequences, questions to ask yourself before going in defense of others, by David Kenik, in the August 07 issue of G&A Handguns Magazine. It should be required reading for every concealed weapons permit holder. In fact, it should be part of every CCW instructor's lesson plan. It's that good.

Do yourself and your family a favor. Head to your local newstand and buy this issue, and keep it. It will be the best $3.99 investment you ever made.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I'm with Captain Crunch 100%

I'd very likely have done nothing different at all aside from send my wife to the car with kids in tow to wait with the engine running and the doors locked while I on my own check on the injured lady just in case Mike Tyson comes back for round two and I need to make a fleet footed exit, or worst comes to worst he has desire to punch my own dance card.

BTW thank you for posting this story Muskie as when I take my own kids & family to the local park or playground I have to remind myself that crap & crazy happens even at the jungle gym. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree with everyone else. You reacted perfectly. You moved to protect your children which is your main job as Dad.

Even veteran cops will tell you a domestic dispute is the worst situation you can interject yourself into. Best not to jump into the middle of one. Look out for your kids and call the cops.

You did a good job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds like you did the right thing. Sig P239 is right, even police know more officers are injuried dealing with domestic disputes. Your main job was your wife and kids. It was a good thing to see to the woman's injury and call 911 for her. Getting in the middle of this type of problem is never a good idea, unless you are Law Enforcement. As many of them will tell you, sometimes in dealing with a abusive husband or boyfriend...the woman will come to his aid against the people there to help HER.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Agreed with everybody else on this one. Your main goal would be the safety of those you love, and yourself. Sad you can't just goto the park anymore and let your children enjoy the day without somebody messing everybodys day up. :(

Stop by a pawn shop or gun shop today and pick up a holster to fill in until your other one arrives in the mail!

Other than that, everyone else have given probably the most practical advice so I have nothing else to add.

Oh, and Muskie... Welcome to the forum! I hope you hang around a while and participate. Anxious to see you post here!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the positive comments and support. I enjoy the forum and have got a lot of great information.
    Muskiehunter-

I have to say that I would have wanted to beat that guy senseless! I WOULD however done the same thing you did brother. You did it right that day. Welcome aboard by the way!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Sounds like it ended too quickly to do anything different. Your family is your first priority. Providing 911 with car make, license #, and direction of travel would be about the only other thing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ok, most everyone who's answered agrees this was handled properly, making protecting your family the priority (with which I definately concur). But, just for discussion's sake, what do you all think about what your responses would be with two small hypothetical changes to the scenario - 1.) You're walking by the park by yourself (or with a buddy?), not with your wife and kids, and 2.) The assault isn't a solitary punch, but an ongoing attack, ie the gangbanger continues to punch, kick, etc the woman. Again, just a twist for discussion's sake - would that alter any of our reactions? Not sure what the "right" answer is, but I know I'd have a hard time going to sleep that night if I watched a women be beat to death while I sat on the phone with 911.
    .40 is fine.

Sounds like you used your head and protected your family given the situation. I have to echo everyone's thoughts on not getting in the middle of a domestic.

We have had several incidents where one of the parties calls 911 and my Officers arrive and as they begin to make the arrest the calling party has a sudden change of heart and jumps my Officer in an attempt to "protect' the one who was just beating the hell out of them.

Observe....Report....Remove yourself and your family

Just my .02

Randy W.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" — Sen. Jesse Helms

I would definitely intervene on that one. I seen a woman get raped during a party when I was 14. It was four large bikers. I tried to stop them and got pretty banged up. Two of them had to visit a hospitol but the poor woman got raped antways. I vowed I would never stand by again in an ongoing asult like you describe.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Sponsored Links