Jurors to Decide: Acquitted!

This is a discussion on Jurors to Decide: Acquitted! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regarding this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27749 Hello, Saturday I indicated I contacted the Chief of the Felony Division of the Palm Beach County Public Defenders Office regarding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jurors to Decide: Acquitted!

Exclamation Jurors to Decide: Acquitted!

Regarding this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27749

Hello,

Saturday I indicated I contacted the Chief of the Felony Division of the Palm Beach County Public Defenders Office regarding the above thread in which Mr. Norman Borden was being charged with murder after having defended himself against 3 armed gang bangers who attempted to run him down in a jeep.

Today I received an email from Ms. Carey Haughwout, Mr. Borden's attorney in the case. Below is the copy of the email I sent to Public Defenders Office and the reply I got today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Dear Chief Grant,

My name is xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx and I am a former law enforcement defense tactics trainer having been certified by the National Law Enforcement Training Center and past member of American Society of Law Enforcement Training.

I was reading about the Norman Borden murder case in a forum I belong to online and it caught my attention. While I obviously do not have all the facts in the case, I was outraged that Craig Williams would even bring such charges against Mr. Borden based on the information that I had to review. I feel on the surface this seems to be a politically motivated prosecution of Mr. Borden by a prosecutor wishing to challenge Florida's Castle Law Doctrine.

I was unable to locate an email for Ms.Carey Haughwout and hope you may forward this to Ms. Haughwouts team.

I am not sure if you are familiar with who Massad Ayoob is and if not, I would like to let you know that he is a world renowned lethal force expert. In 1984 Mr. Ayoob's expert testimony successfully assisted Mark Selden and Roy Black in winning an acquittal for wrongfully accused Miami Police Officer Luis Alvarez in another politically motivated high profile case.

Mr. Ayoob is a New Hampshire police captain, celebrated author and noted authority on lethal force issues, is a certified lethal force expert witness, and runs the world renowned Lethal Force Institute. Mr. Ayoob is also a certified police prosecutor in New Hampshire and his expertise is second to none. Mr. Ayoob frequently takes on cases in wrongfully accused law enforcement officers and citizens who have been wrongfully accused in lethal force cases.

I would certainly recommend Mr. Borden's legal team contact Mr. Ayoob with the details of the case and see if he would be willing to assist in Mr. Borden's defense.

I feel there are several issues regarding Mr. Borden's state of mind and threat assessment that Mr. Ayoob may be helpful with. If you are familiar with the Alvarez case you know what kind of legal nightmare that was for Officer Alvarez and it has been said that case is the first in history in which "precognition" was successfully argued in court.

While I do not personally know Mr. Ayoob, members of the law enforcement trainer community are very close knit and keep track of cases like this.

You may contact Massad Ayoob should you choose to inquire about his possible assistance at:

Lethal Force Institute
    P.O. Box 122
    Concord, New Hampshire 03303-0122
    (800) 624-9049
    (603) 224-6814
    (603) 226-3554 FAX
    ayoob@attglobal.net

I hope my unsolicited contact of your office is not offensive to you or your staff, and if so, I offer my deepest apologies. Good Luck in the successful defense of Mr. Borden!

Sincerely,
    xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx, Mo. xxxxx
    barkn@xxxxxx.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Cc: Cherry Grant

Subject: Norman Borden

Ms. Grant forwarded your message to me and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to contact us. Fortunately, Mr. Borden was acquitted after a very brief jury deliberation. We are seeing more of these prosecutions (people who acted in self defense) so the information may be helpful in other cases. Thanks again for sharing this information and resource with us.

* Please be advised that Florida has a broad public records law, and all correspondence to me via email may be subject to disclosure. Under Florida records law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

this thread is going on about this as well
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27944

I'm glad to hear that Mr. Borden is a free man. I hope defense didn't bankrupt him. I don't think the prosecuter should have gone as far as he did.

Idk 8 months in jail, his dogs were killed, and his house was set on fire by other gangmembers. He got screwed over by the FL system, plain and simple. There really should be a law that protects someone from all the leagl issues involved in a self defense case. Im sure he has lost his job, 8 months in jail with a bunch of animals because 2 gangmembers tried to run him over with a Jeep is a bunch of crap but i am glad that everything went his way.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Got Sig.... they do have laws... Castle Doctrine was first passed in Florida... Still doesn't protect you from a Rogue Prosecutor with an ax to grind and wants to challenge the castle doctrine law...

Like Ms Haughwout said in her email to me... they are seeing a lot of prosectutions in self defense cases even though they have castle doctrine and Mr. Bordens was a case of self defense if ever there was one.

I mean for crying out loud, the friggon prosecutor in his opening statement admitted they were gang bangers, out to mess him up, drinking, armed with a bat and a jeep, just watched a violent movie "scarface" to get them sufficeintly riled up and went out looking to mess this guy up!

But the victim may have fired too many bullets in the heat of the moment so lets put him in prison for murder!

It truely sickens me...

same as Mike Nifong in the Duke case and Johnny Sutton putting border agents in prison and giving deals to scumbag drug dealers.

What the hell has this country come to?

I am afraid a day of reckoning is headed this way for all these crazy zealots and I am worried at what the total fallout will be.

Honest hard working people are getting fed up with crooked politicians and crooked people in authority and things don't look good on the horizon.

I hope things don't blow up but I know people are tired of being beaten down with injustice after injustice.

Mike Nifong, Johnny Sutton and prosecutor Craig Williams who prosecuted Norman Borden in Florida should be doing "hard time" in prison for their reckless prosecutions and intentional ruining of peoples lives! If they don't know those were bad prosecutions then they are too stupid to practice law not to mention dangerous people to have in authority!

JMHO, YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Norman Borden. He really had the screws put to him.
    Glad that it's over but, I'm sure all of this has affected him greatly.
    Pitiful event. Sickening.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It was ridiculous what happened to him. He never should have been prosecuted at all.

All the rogue D.A.'s out there should remember what has happened and what is still to come for Mike Nifong before they start pushing their personal agendas in the professional capacities.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Oh yeah... won't Nifong just $#&@ a twinkie if he ends up doing some jail time over his little stunt? And I say, good riddence!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    There are hardly any words to describe the kind of abuse this man has had to endure. My God! He has lost everything save his own life!

How shameful that we can treat our citizens this poorly!

That self serving prosecutor should be made to move out of his house, leaving everything in it, and give it to Mr. Borden and that just for starters!

Man this ticks me off!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I like our Castle Doctrine:

D. A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
    E. A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle of another person is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
    F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    G. A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force, but the law enforcement agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
    H. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection F of this section.
    I. The provisions of this section and the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1290.1 through 1290.26 of this title, shall not be construed to require any person using a pistol pursuant to the provisions of this section to be licensed in any manner.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    I like our Castle Doctrine:
    Florida's is the same, however, that applies to civil suits. Our hero in this story was nearly destroyed by the criminal suit. It sounds like a civil suit would be worthless, since he doesn't have much of anything.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Innocent until proven guilty (or Bankrupt ).

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty (or Bankrupt ).
    That's the standard. But I recall reading about a case in a jurisdiction (with no castle doctrine) where the opposite is true under certain circumstances. There, in a prosecution for manslaughter, if a defendant admits the killing but claims it was legal self-defense, the burden of proving it is then on the defense. Proving the act was manslaughter is not the burden of the prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    But I recall reading about a case in a jurisdiction (with no castle doctrine) where the opposite is true under certain circumstances. There, in a prosecution for manslaughter, if a defendant admits the killing but claims it was legal self-defense, the burden of proving it is then on the defense. Proving the act was manslaughter is not the burden of the prosecution.
    This is true for all self-defense pleas in most states (even ones with the castle doctrine). Self defense is what is called an affirmative defense (along with insanity). If the defendant raises an affirmative defense the burden is on them to prove all the elements of the defense.

We can protect ourselves from the criminals at large, but how do we protect ourselves from the criminals who disguse themselves as Prosecutors??
    There needs to be some punishment for those in the Prosecutors office that use their office to advance agendas or political ideals.
    I am a firm believer of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but our justice system is indeed broke and needs a good cleaning and fixing.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links