The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction - Page 2

The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rocky Throwing a knife will give the BG access to a weapon. How much or little this matters is something to consider. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Throwing a knife will give the BG access to a weapon. How much or little this matters is something to consider.
    "See, Officer, he had a KNIFE!!!!"

When we are going to be somewhere that I feel less comfortable about, (read Memphis) I carry a "throw down wallet" in my weak side back pocket. It has about 14 dollars in cash and several old cancled credit cards in it along with other things that make it look like a well used wallet. Receipts, business cards etc..

But I always have some change or other stuff in my front pocket on the weak side, such as a swiss army knife or chapstick or something I could trow as a distraction.

Good video.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    If I'm holding something in my hand I'm throwing it (except my son). If the have the drop on me I'll throw my wallet (if that's what they ask for) and either draw or run. I'll draw if my family is with me to give them time to run and run if it is just me.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In quick succession while pleading for them not to hurt you throw your wallet, your cell phone, your car keys, and hollow points.

Remember, numerous accurately placed shots make the job of the police much easier.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

........... and several old cancled credit cards in it
    Just cut your name off of it first.........

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Just cut your name off of it first.........
    Actually I used a soldering iron to melt the names off. Worked really well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    A distraction is something thrown at the face to distract the attacker, nothing in my post said anything about throwing the knife toward the body. Believe me a swirling knife coming at your face will distract you, and if it hits it probably will cut if not stick and may cause more distraction yet if blood gets in the eyes or an eye gets poked out.
    Fair enough. I've done a lot of knife throwing and for whatever reason when throwing underhand I can never throw accurately when aiming above the chest, but I guess thats just me. Anyhow, I still contend that something coming from the periphery of vision is not as attention getting as something coming from your central vision. I'm' talking about the nano-second of flight time. It might not be enough difference to matter, but since were talking about buying any advantage we can...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Just something tha caught my eye:
    When he is retreating and drawing he crosses his feet over. As a former football player and coach that is a good way to end up on your rump if somebody gets into you. Perhaps some of you will agree with me on that. Bend at the knees and keep a good base if you can while you run. You definately don't want the encounter to have to go to the "ground game" with him on top of you if you can.

Just my .02.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Highly "optimistic" in several respects.
    1) As Doc says, cross-stepping is a really bad habit.
    2) Throwing with a non-dominant hand for most people is grossly inaccurate. Unless the BG is stunned with wonder at your chucking a handful of pennies 10 feet to his side, I wouldn't put much faith in that. I'm exaggerating, but not much.
    3) Too much hand-juggling. Metsubishi (basically the art of distraction) relies on surprise, which is best accomplished with economy of motion, not this right hand-left-hand-right-hand forward "Kiyyaa!" dance.
    4) Homie has probably had stuff thrown at his face before, and, if it is a single object, may well just duck slightly and "cap yo' butt".

Having said that, I believe distraction can be a valuable tool, but you have to be able to read the assailant and environment accurately, and, as I've said before, you have to be something of an actor.

How about a stream of O.C. for a distraction?

My plan has always been to drop my wallet or cellphone. That will cause them to react, such as reaching down or looking down, and that will give me an opportunity. Throwing something in the BG's face is NOT a good idea. What would you do if you were holding a BG at gunpoint and suddenly he throws something in your face? BOOM.

Throwing an object into someone's face will instantly be perceived as a threat. Instead of giving you a moment to get your gun, you will be placing them in a higher state of alert, possibly causing them to shoot. Instead, what you should do is take your wallet or similar object of value, let them see it - and your look of fear - and then toss the wallet somewhat to the side as you move laterally away from both the BG and the wallet. This reaction and movement will be interpreted as a victim trying to move away, rather than a threat. As they react to the wallet, you can reach for your gun. Your lateral movement will give you an advantage, because it allows you to move naturally into a shooting stance, covers your draw, and moves you out of their line of fire, if only briefly. And because a moment before they perceived you as a sheep-like victim, they will not properly interpret the movement of your hands as reaching for a gun.

Funny how tiny little advantages like 1/2 second can be such a big factor in a gunfight. I say we go back to the good ol' days of swords and spears.

The guys hands were a distraction when he was talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstir View Post
    The guys hands were a distraction when he was talking.
    Agreed, if you tied his hands together he wouldn't be able to say a word

Shouting

I beleive your first response is to shout "Stop, stay back" or something similar. This is going to draw attention. I am also with MCP in that is I am going to pull something other than my gun, it is going to be some Pepper Spray. I will then throw that at the BG when empty or if a weapon is now needed to free my hands up.

I also like the one bullet idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Just something tha caught my eye:
    When he is retreating and drawing he crosses his feet over. As a former football player and coach that is a good way to end up on your rump if somebody gets into you. Perhaps some of you will agree with me on that. Bend at the knees and keep a good base if you can while you run. You definately don't want the encounter to have to go to the "ground game" with him on top of you if you can.

Just my .02.

That was the first thing i noticed and I agree totally. It will not take very much at all to knock you off balance.....a curb, another person, and any number of things.
    When your feet are crossing like that, your footing is NOT solid.
    I can agree with moving at a 45deg angle and the distraction, but not the cross step.
    If you keep your footing solid, you will be able to step up on or off a curb, bump into an object (even something like a park bench) without even seeing it first, and not trip and fall or loose your balance. Therefor, you can keep your focus on the BG.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links