The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction

This is a discussion on The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Important? How Important? Is the importance of throwing a distraction overstated in this video? Your Opinions Welcome - Please watch the Vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMNy...elated&search=...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction

Administrator

Question The Importance Of Throwing A Distraction

Important?
    How Important?
    Is the importance of throwing a distraction overstated in this video?
    Your Opinions Welcome
    - Please watch the Vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTMNy...elated&search=
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I always carry a small fixed blade knife in my weakside pants pocket to throw as a distraction. I practice throwing it underhanded, some times it sticks sometimes it doesn't. I figure that any extra time I may gain for my draw the better. If it causes the attacker to flinch and look away my chances of survival are increased.

My belief is that in a case of survival anything that may increase the chance of doing so is worth using. My Father taught me that in a fight , cheat to win, there are no rules when it comes to survival.

VIP Member
    I keep a few dollar bills with a cheap clip in my off hand pocket to throw.

By using cash it may serve as a better distraction than throwing keys or wallet......if cash is the probable motivation for the attack, it just may prove to be the best distraction possible.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A distraction is valuable for sure. This Video seems to overstate it, but then the purpose of the video is to teach distraction. I think the actors reaction was a bit of overacting. The best I hope for is for a fraction of a second flinch or turn of the head, although it'd be great if the BG cowered like I'm throwing a chain saw.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I always carry a small fixed blade knife in my weakside pants pocket to throw as a distraction. I practice throwing it underhanded, some times it sticks sometimes it doesn't. I figure that any extra time I may gain for my draw the better. If it causes the attacker to flinch and look away my chances of survival are increased.

My belief is that in a case of survival anything that may increase the chance of doing so is worth using. My Father taught me that in a fight , cheat to win, there are no rules when it comes to survival.
    Not to say that your technique won't work as a distraction, but the best distraction is an object heading for your eyes. This WILL cause the BGs focus to be altered from his target (you). If your knife is thrown at his body, he may not even see it coming enough to change his focus, so even if it hits, a pucture knife wound will not put him down enough. I guess what I'm saying that a distraction that is in his field of view from the time it is launched would be more effective.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I also believe it is overstated in the video. The distraction may give you time, but it may also slow your draw/retreat and end up distracting you.

Suppose whatever you planned to throw slipped from your hand early or you didn't get it pulled out right from the pocket. Would YOU be more distracted than the attacker with your mind focusing on your slip? Would it slow you down instead of give you some time? A couple things to consider.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

10 -15 cents in pennies is a good one.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

If you have time to reach for something to throw as a distraction, you have time to draw your weapon......make sense?
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Ring View Post
    If you have time to reach for something to throw as a distraction, you have time to draw your weapon......make sense?
    Makes sense to me.

Since my wallet and my handgun are in very close proximity, that gives me the perfect opportunity to reach for the weapon while assuring the perp that I am about to give him what he wants. Instead, he gets what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Not to say that your technique won't work as a distraction, but the best distraction is an object heading for your eyes. This WILL cause the BGs focus to be altered from his target (you). If your knife is thrown at his body, he may not even see it coming enough to change his focus, so even if it hits, a pucture knife wound will not put him down enough. I guess what I'm saying that a distraction that is in his field of view from the time it is launched would be more effective.
    Towards the eyes: Automatic, uncontrollable blinks or flinches

Senior Moderator
    Just chunk em a single bullet and tell them the next one will be much faster.

If they dont understand that...
    prepare to fire.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just chunk em a single bullet and tell them the next one will be much faster.

If they dont understand that...
    prepare to fire.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

A distraction is something thrown at the face to distract the attacker, nothing in my post said anything about throwing the knife toward the body. Believe me a swirling knife coming at your face will distract you, and if it hits it probably will cut if not stick and may cause more distraction yet if blood gets in the eyes or an eye gets poked out.

when i was younger, before i carried, i had a confrontation (both of us unarmed). he instigated it and there was no talking out of it and i used the eyes as the very first distraction. no one else around but i shifted my eyes toward the BG's side (my 10 or 11). now he thought someone or something was next to or behind him (you can't help it even if it's for a split second) as soon as his eyes shifted i hit him...hard. don't know what would have happened it we went toe to toe but i didn't want to find out. he staggered then fell. before he got up i was gone! it worked so well that it's one of the first things i'll always try to use. now that i carry, if it's that split second i need to draw, i'm giving it a shot.

the only thing i would have done different was to look at my 1 or 2 instead because i'm left handed.
    What's this button do?

Lead Moderator
    Throwing a knife will give the BG access to a weapon. How much or little this matters is something to consider.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links