Tucson, Az - Mall Shooting (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Tucson, Az - Mall Shooting (MERGED) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i was out driving today at about 2:45 and my wife asked if we could stop by the mall, i said "do you really ...

Thread: Tucson, Az - Mall Shooting (MERGED)

Tucson, Az - Mall Shooting (MERGED)

So i was out driving today at about 2:45 and my wife asked if we could stop by the mall, i said "do you really need anything from there? cuz we got stuff to do at home" and she said no, so we head home, later i turn on the news and hear that there was a shooting at 3:10 in the Dillard's. well we always park by the Dillard's entrance because there is shaded parking there, that would have put us right in the time and place of the shooting. so far there are only injuries and no deaths.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Killers like shaded parking too, I guess.

I'm glad that you and yours were not around when the stuff was going down, there.

What kind of shooting does it appear to have been? A random mass-shooting, or a targeted grudge or something?

Tucson, Az - Mall Shooting

Fight prompts shooting; forces evacuation of Park Place Mall

Link: http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstori....33fa80cb.html

Gunshots rang out inside Park Place mall during a busy shopping afternoon Sunday, injuring three people including a shopper and causing thousands inside to head for the exits.
    I was in the mall, in the exact area, around the same time the previous day with my wife. Many people from Mexico drive up to do their shopping on the weekends, so while there probably weren't "thousands" of people, it was definitely full. I think what scares me the most is I do not know how I would react in such a scenario. There were two pieces of information that really bothered me.

Visitors inside the mall gave mixed impressions of how their fellow patrons reacted to the echos of gunfire, a sound rarely heard in Tucsonís bustling public places. Some said patrons left in an orderly manner after being told the mall was being evacuated, while others said some customers panicked.
    I could try to leave, but then I run the risk of finding myself in a herd of people that could stampede in panic. Sure, it is an evacuation, but that certainly doesn't mean the threat is gone.

ďA lot of people just didnít know what was going on,Ē she said, including mall store employees, many of whom were locking their front doors.
    If I try to find concealment, there may be no place but behind a plush sofa in the mall corridor open.

I hope this doesn't lead to no carry signs on the mall doors. However, I believe I have a better understanding now of why some just avoid malls, whether it is posted no carry or not.

looks like a gang deal...

Park Place Mall Evacuated, 2 Suspected Shooters in Police Custody

July 1, 2007 11:03 PM

Stephanie Corriero KOLD News 13 Assignment Editor

Three people suffered gun-shot-wounds at Park Place Mall Sunday afternoon. Police say it was gang related.

Tucson Police Department says it all began at approximately 3:10 p.m. when two men began arguing in Dillard's. The fight became physical and according to police, that's when one of the men pulled out a gun.

The men began fighting over the gun and both suffered gun-shot-wounds. Witnesses say that some of the violence also spilled over into the food court. One shopper was grazed by a bullet. No one else was injured.

Police officers from both inside and outside the mall responded to the scene and were able to take both men into custody.

Late Sunday evening, police identified one of the men as 20-year-old Vincente Alcaraz. He has been booked into the Pima County jail. He is charged with aggravated assault, theft, and attempted robbery. At this time, police believe Alcaraz was the only aggressor.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post

Three people suffered gun-shot-wounds at Park Place Mall Sunday afternoon. Police say it was gang related.

Tucson Police Department says it all began at approximately 3:10 p.m. when two men began arguing in Dillard's. The fight became physical and according to police, that's when one of the men pulled out a gun.

The men began fighting over the gun and both suffered gun-shot-wounds. Witnesses say that some of the violence also spilled over into the food court. One shopper was grazed by a bullet. No one else was injured.

Police officers from both inside and outside the mall responded to the scene and were able to take both men into custody.

Late Sunday evening, police identified one of the men as 20-year-old Vincente Alcaraz. He has been booked into the Pima County jail. He is charged with aggravated assault, theft, and attempted robbery. At this time, police believe Alcaraz was the only aggressor.
    This is the first I have heard of this. I need to log on to the forum to get my local news!

At the time of the shooting I was at the Tucson Mall, on the other side of town.

There have been a number of gang related shootings recently in Tucson. A couple of weeks ago there was a carjacking in the middle of town. The 'victim' followed the perps and gun shots were fired. LE tracked down the people involved and the 'victim' did not press charges and, remarkably, no charges at all were filed despite numerous laws being broken. Apparently, it was a drug deal gone bad.

Anytime, anywhere.

VIP Member
    Glad you went home!

VIP Member

Merged Threads

Looks like you guys were posting about the same time. I have merged the threads.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I haven't been back since I was asked to leave for open carrying...21 years ago. Aren't they still posted no firearms, like all the other malls/criminal empowerment zones?
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Posted

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I haven't been back since I was asked to leave for open carrying...21 years ago. Aren't they still posted no firearms, like all the other malls/criminal empowerment zones?
    I have looked, but do not see any obvious signs posted at the entrances to Park Place Mall that I use. Maybe there is someone else who can confirm this for me.

I used to go to Park Place mall when I lived in Tucson. This is the second shooting this year in the mall that I've been to (first was Trolley Square). Certainly reinforces the decision to carry.

and not go to malls!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post

I was thinking about this scenario today. What, if anything, would be a course of action if you and your family were eating at the food court and these two low lifes started fighting over a gun and shots were being randomly fired?

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I was thinking about this scenario today. What, if anything, would be a course of action if you and your family were eating at the food court and these two low lifes started fighting over a gun and shots were being randomly fired?
    Get everyone on the deck and get on top of them to shield as much as possible. Immediately draw and scan to find threat. If threat approaches, move laterally and engage to draw away from family.

Unass area ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Position myself between family and the threat/sound. Get my family out through the closest food counter. Each store has a back way out. The counter itself is concealment when you squat-scoot. And all that metal (refridge/range/deepwell) is nice cover.

OTOH, if no family along, get cover with a good FOV, dial 9-1-1, leave the phone sitting open, and lie in ambush. I'm not walking toward a gunfight, but I'm not letting some punk kill a bunch of innocents because I ran away when I could have stopped him. This is like still hunting with a tree stand -- just sit quiet and wait. If he's stoopid enough to come my way with a visible weapon and God grants me a clean (no one behind) shot, he's neutralized. If he spots me or points in my direction, I won't even look behind him.

Links