I've seen lots of threads started about "how much ammo do you have?" - Page 2

I've seen lots of threads started about "how much ammo do you have?"

This is a discussion on I've seen lots of threads started about "how much ammo do you have?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have around a thousand rounds for my 45s and 500 for my 308. thoses are the two I will bug out with if needed. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have around a thousand rounds for my 45s and 500 for my 308. thoses are the two I will bug out with if needed. I don't see the point of having more than you can carry. If it gets that bad.... I just don't see myself sitting at the house waiting for it.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Stockpile ammo

My girlfriend and I rely on our Glocks, her 26 and my 19, for anything we might need a bunch of ammo for in a hurry. I load up a bunch of the MTM 50 round boxes: with various JHP loads depending on what's in stock at the time. have WWB JHP, Gold Dot, Hydra Shok, and Hornady TAP FPD right now.

Our spare magazines are all Glock 19 magazines to interchange between guns. I color code the magazines and keep 3 of them with each 50 round box which gives me 45 rounds to load in the mags, and 5 spare rounds per box.

It's organized to grab and go if need be. She prefers my M1 carbine so I have one set up for her with a couple of mag pouches full of loaded 30 round surplus mags (currently FMJ, although I have some of the new Magtech JSP on order). She's not a big rifle person. I use my AR and keep a bunch of mags loaded in pouches and a bag, again a mix of whatever's laying around the shop.

I also have a MK II Ruger in a pistol box with about 10 loaded magazines, a cleaning kit, and a box or two of ammo, she has a Tactical Solutions upper on a 22/45 with a similar setup in her BOB. I was looking for organization and flexibility with the capability to grab and go with minimal fuss and delay.

We both work emergency services, I'm a FD medic, she works as an EMS and FD dispatcher and an EMT, so we plan on being separated and being stuck at work for any disasters. If we have to pack this stuff, we can grab our stuff and get off to work with plenty of ammo, but packaged to stay in our cars discretely while we're at work, and sustain us through a lot until we can get home.
    Last edited by JD; July 4th, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Spaced out text, fixed link.

VIP Member
    I have a couple boxes of defense rounds . I shoot 38 and 40 ammo. I have about 600 rounds of fmj for each. Ammo goes up every year. I'm gonna have to buy it sometime, so I grab a box quite often.
    Also , the way things are now with terrorism , ya never know when something is going to happen causing people to run and buy ammo. I just feel better knowing I have a par of about 500-600 rounds.

Well, in 16 months time, I have gone from one handgun, to 14 firearms, and, from no one carrying, to both my wife and I, so, we take cheap ammo where we can.

Every firearm in the house, and, all magazines (NOTE: Rifles, low-power, especially, are NOT kept loaded. Only shotguns and handguns.), are loaded with SD ammo. Mostly Winchester SXT's in the primary mags, Hydra-shoks in the secondary mags. Remmington LE Low-Recoil Buckshot in the shotguns. That's the extent of our SD ammo, less maybe a few odd rounds in each caliber, MAYBE totaling 150. Total on-hand SD, is probably 100 - 50 rounds per firearm.

Everything else is FMJ. Almost all wolf, and WWB. We try to keep 250 rounds per FIREARM (multiple firearms per caliber in some cases...) of FMJ. It just makes rangetime easier to do on the fly.

I'd be just as happy to have FMJ as JHP in a bad situation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to keep rifles 'ready to go'. In the safe, I've got 2 rifles, one for each of us, in cases, with external pouches. Each has 200 rounds, on strippers, in the pouches, but, is unloaded, completely ready to 'grab and go'. Also have 1 (I need to get another :( ) backpack, with supplies... Diapers, food, first-aid...
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    My question to those that have it stacked deep, more so for handgun ammo, is it FMJ practice stuff, or your JHP carry ammo?
    Both.

A mix of roughly 90% FMJ/Target and 10% personal defense.

Last week I bought a box (150 rds.) of Ultramax in 9MM only because my local Dick's was trying to get rid of it and had discounted it down twice below it's normal already sale priced price.
    I don't currently own anything in 9MM but I likely will and/or some day down the road it'll be of some use so along with the rest it'll be cached.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Most of my FMJ gets shot up as I buy it - I save maybe 20-25% of each purchase. Eventually, I'll wind up with a half case or so of defense ammunition (mixed, for all carry calibers), and about a case each of FMJ for every caliber I own - .380, .40, and hopefully .45 soon.

Mine is along the lines of 90/10. I keep roughly 90% of it FMJ. The other 10% is rotated for my normal defense rounds. My bare minimum rule for all calibers is 1000rnds which covers my .22LR, 9mm, .45acp, .308WIN, and the good ol 30/30. I have quite a bit more .22 and .45 then anything else since A) the .22 is cheap and B) 1911 is my primary. Some overlook the .22 but I figure a mag fed .22 rifle with a suppressor makes a fairly decent SHTF rifle(if you shoot straight).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

50/50 FMJ and JHP for handgun's.

75/25 for rifles.

VIP Member
    I just looked and I have about 1200 rounds FMJ practice stuff, 300 rounds SD ammo and another 2000 rounds of .22 HP's! Maybe I should go buy a .22 rifle???
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I just looked and I have about 1200 rounds FMJ practice stuff, 300 rounds SD ammo and another 2000 rounds of .22 HP's! Maybe I should go buy a .22 rifle???
    I hate that. The "Where did all this come from?" syndrome. With me its starting to happen with guns though. The wife goes in and says where did this come from? I look innocent and tell her it just follows me home.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Without going into specifics, I'll say I always have at least 500 rounds of my chosen defensive ammo on hand, and I buy FMJ usually 5-10,000 rounds at a time.

I just placed an order today for another 16,000 rounds of Ranger ammo (various calibers).

Personally, I keep:

• 10 30 round clips full of 55 grain Ballistic-tip ammo for the AR-15 rifle stored in an assault vest, along with 4 extra mags for the STI 9x23; Each mag for the STI holds 19.

• I keep probably 1000 rounds of practice ammo around for matches, etc. This stuff is always FMJ or "the black bullets" from precision bullets.

• Long ago I had one of those "theoretical discussions" with a guy that was convinced the world was ending on Y2K; he was an eccentric millionaire who had heavily fortified his entire ranch that was behind my in-laws place between George West and Freer, Texas. the root of the discussion revolved around my opinion. I told the guy what I tell everyone that thinks they can stockpile weapons and ammunition and hold off the hordes: General George Patton said it best: "Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of mankind; if anything made by God (like a mountain) can be overcome, then anything made by man can be overcome". I told him that a determined assault with enough time and patience will only put off the inevitable. my tactic is to use what weapons and ammunition I have to get me and my family to safety; they can have the house. once my family is safe, then I can concentrate on making those who would destroy my home and family miserable.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Wink There are other uses besides shooting....

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    All the ammo in the world wont do you any good. You really only need what you can carry. If someone is assaulting your home they can simply burn you out rather than try to have a gun battle with you.
    I never have enough ammo. I keep a store of SHTF stuff for personal defense/offense (lol) but looking long term I could foresee a time when we might return to a barter economy and bullets & reloading supplies would be literally more valuable than gold.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink That old saying: Every boy's mom needs a dog...

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    I look innocent and tell her it just follows me home.
    I'll have to try THAT. I can see me jumping up and down all excited and asking...It followed me home. CAN WE KEEP IT... CAN WE? CAN WE? I promise I'll clean up after it and feed it and love it.....It won't be any trouble at all, I promise!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links