I've seen lots of threads started about "how much ammo do you have?"

This is a discussion on I've seen lots of threads started about "how much ammo do you have?" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some people post that they have thousands and some realize that they don't have much. Usually the post has something to do with SHTF or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Some people post that they have thousands and some realize that they don't have much.

Usually the post has something to do with SHTF or similar.

My question to those that have it stacked deep, more so for handgun ammo, is it FMJ practice stuff, or your JHP carry ammo?
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

JD
    Administrator
    A mix of both for me, right now I'm rebuiding my stock, I try to keep at minimum a mix of 500 FMJ/JHP on hand, since switching back to .45s from .40s, I need to restock.

Senior Moderator
    Most of mine is FMJ, but I do have a good amount of HP's that I reloaded. Only of couple of boxes of my carry ammo
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

maybe roughly 75% ball /25% pd for me

I don't consider FMJ "practice stuff". I consider JHPs defence rounds.
    FMJ is a good utility round. It has good penetration for hunting larger game and will stop someone from breaking into my house as well.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

All the ammo in the world wont do you any good. You really only need what you can carry. If someone is assaulting your home they can simply burn you out rather than try to have a gun battle with you.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    All the ammo in the world wont do you any good. You really only need what you can carry. If someone is assaulting your home they can simply burn you out rather than try to have a gun battle with you.
    Depends on you and your home. The attempt would be shortlived with me. Then...somehow... they would have to walk away. A really short "long walk".

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    For an everyday situation you have a point. Normally you just need enough to cover your rear while your buggin out if they are buring your house down around you. Then you can stop by Wally World and stock up the next day I guess.

But I can't imagine a burglar trying to burn me out, so I must assume you are talking about something bigger than the common burlgar or gang asssaulting your home.

The only time I can think of where I would be under siege long enough to allow a determined enemy with a large force to "burn me out" would be in a prolonged SHTF situation, which is admittedly unlikely to occur. However, if such a situation does arise, you should have caches in strategic places. You should have predetermined rally points, and fall back positions as well (See Rodgers Rangers) for family members in case you need to disperse and bug out.

In a prolonged SHTF situation, or even less likely TEOTWAWKI, you probably shouldn't put all of your eggs in the same basket. That being said, if something goes down and you don't have any supplies to move to your cache, then your down to taking someone else's or doing without. Neither of those options seems prudent to me.

As far as the original queston on the thread, I try to keep a certain number of rounds in different calibers.(usually 1000 or rifles and 500 for pistols) I originally stocked up years ago with the cheapest ammo I could get because it was all I could afford. Then over time, when I go to the range to shoot, I decide if I'm gonna shoot 50 or 100 rounds and then go buy that quantity of premium ammo. My plan is to remove the old cheap stuff and burn it up at the range and place the new premium in storage. Over time I will eventually have all premium ammo without a lump sum expense that would break the bank.

Of course, I don't always do it, so my ammo numbers may fluctuate up or down by as much as 250 rounds per caliber depending on whether I'm shooting a lot and not replenishing like I'm supposed to. Right now I am getting ready to move out of state, so I've been depleting my stores to keep from having to move it all when I go, but I still have enough on hand to handle most anything that could realistically occur. As long as the zombies don't attack in the next two months I'll be ok. :-)
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

i have enough defensive rounds that will more than hold me up before reality kicks in and the cops are everywhere (maybe because of where i live). ...but i just can't keep practice rounds in stock because when it builds up i give it an excuse to go to the range again.
    What's this button do?

Assistant Administrator
    Having just in recent weeks gotten back to some much needed reloading, I have worked up a good stock of practice ammo - which regarding the ''usual'' cals, .38, .357, .45acp and 9mm - is almost all lead cast bullets, except .357 which is JHP.

None of this or most of my remaining factory ammo is SD - and so, practice stuff. My SD ammo is healthy in stock terms but a fraction of the whole. Percentage? Hmmm - doubt even 5%.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was calculating this last night, roughly 4,000 rds of mixed calibres and roughly enough components to make another 2,000. That does not count the 9,000 or so 9mm casings or 1,000 .40cal casing I have for some reason lost even to me. I would say 1,000 is .22cal and about 400 is 9mm JHP and 50 .45acp JHP the rest is half FMJ and lead cast.

VIP Member
    Mostly practice and hunting ammo. Very S-D type ammo.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have probably 2/3 - 3/4 FMJ and the rest various JHP's.

I have several thousands for my long arms and maybe a couple thousand for pistols.

They are stored in a modular format so grabbing a few or a lot in a bug out situation would be easily organized.

If very short time to leave I have enough already on stripper clips and in bandoleers with ammo cans of loose and also cans on stripper clips.

I also have spare rifle magazines loaded in several 6 mag carriers with shoulder straps so when I grab one I get 6 spare mags with each carrier.

I have several Blackhawk and Eagle Industries large gear/load out bags. One for my swat team call-outs that has my body armor and a few others for personal bug outs.

I can be out the house and on the road with enough essential stuff in one load, in a matter of minutes. If I have 20-30 minutes I can have a whole lot more. Give me an hour, can probably outfit a small squad.

I also have some essential survival items in kits (less the weaponry) already stored in trunk of car and in truck.

My preparedness equipment is part of the reason I don't have jet ski's and ski-boats or hot-tubs that a lot of my other friends have. So it's a give and take kind of thing.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I currently own one .40 S&W Handgun. My ammo on hand for that is 50 155gr. Winchester Silvertip Hollowpoints (43 in gun/spare mags); 20 180gr. Federal Hydra-Shoks; 20 165gr. Speer Gold Dots and 20 180gr. Remington Golden Sabers, making 110 Hollowpoints. I also currently have 100 165gr. Winchester White Box FMJs. I'd like more but am on a budget.

usually a mix of 75% ball 25% JHP if there ever is a SHTF deal ball is gonna work just fine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links