Being a good neighbor?

Being a good neighbor?

This is a discussion on Being a good neighbor? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This occurred a couple of days ago and have been pondering about actually posting it. I figured why not? Just to get y'all up to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a good neighbor?

Being a good neighbor?

This occurred a couple of days ago and have been pondering about actually posting it. I figured why not?

Just to get y'all up to speed, my neighbor (elderly lady) would loose track of mind and leave her car door open once or twice since I have met her. I would just close the door and let her know with a note or just leave it as that.

So, on Sunday night, I worked a double, so I got home around midnight. I noticed that her daughter's rear passenger side door was open, more odd was that the garage door was open and no lights on. I asked my GF if it would prudent to just ring the door bell to make sure they're alright. She said, sure. So I close the car door, I rang the door bell, rang it again, and again. One more to be sure. All the cars were there (grandma, daughter, and grand-daughter). Normally, if it was a house of boys, or at least one of the ladies had a man in the house, I would have left it at that. But, this was a house of girls with a 3-yr-old boy, my conscious would not let me walk away until I was sure that they were alright. Being that I am not a police officer nor a dojo-trained ninja, I figured it was best calling in the professionals. Missouri City police have phenomenal response time. I still think that they're police cars have Nitro installed and don't want to admit it. I explained to the officer the situation and I just want to make sure that there was no foul play. I also explained the history with the neighbor and that this particular situation was not her usual. He rings the door bell and YELLS "Missouri City Police, open up!"......nothing.......
    He goes to the garage, opens the door to the house! At that time, I am getting worried, car door open, garage door open, door to the house unlocked; i mean c'mon, you get worried too, right? He tells me that he is going to wait for back-up before he enters the house. Back up arrives, still no jet engine, I know they have one. The first responder brings the other office up to speed on the situation. As they are walking to the garage door to the house, you hear, "OH CRAP!" and both officers reaching for their weapons. It was grandma coming out of the shadows of the house! I am not going to lie, my hand jerked to my SIG, just in case i guess.

They were alright, I deeply apologized for waking them up but I to make sure they were alright. She said it was ok. The next day, I went to apologize again for the disturbance. The daughter was forgiving and was just thanking for being a good neighbor. She said its a good thing for neighbors to watch out for each other, she didn't think that the other neighbors at her old house would've done the same thing. The grand-daughter (same age as I am) gave me one of those "interesting" smiles, but we're just going to leave at that.

Later on, the grandmother came by and said it would be great if we exchange numbers. So, everything came out okay. And, turns out that her grand-daughter is in training for the county sheriff department. I invited her to come with me and my GF to the range. She said sure.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    All's well that ends well , and kudos on building a neighborhood rather than an area . We have to watch out for each other .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Good for you, it's really sad how much we have lost any sense of "community". It's good to know some of us still know what it means.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I think you did the right thing. They will remember it, and hopefully will keep an eye out for strange happenings at your place too.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Thats awsome you did that. Kudos.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Moderator
    Good for you,

I have a neighbor in his 90's who lives alone. If I don't see him out for a couple of days I use to make up a reason to go over and knock on the door.

About the third time I did that he said "Thanks for seeing that I'm still alive" I don't make up excuses anymore.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Did you notify the officers that you were carrying?

VIP Member
    I think you did well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Good for you,

I have a neighbor in his 90's who lives alone. If I don't see him out for a couple of days I use to make up a reason to go over and knock on the door.

About the third time I did that he said "Thanks for seeing that I'm still alive" I don't make up excuses anymore.
    THANK YOU! That's community right there, taking care of your neighbors and it's great that he knew why too :-)
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    honestly, i didn't notify the officer. i didn't realize that until a couple of days later.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    honestly, i didn't notify the officer. i didn't realize that until a couple of days later.
    Oh. it wasn't a dig or anything, I was just genuinely curious. Wondering how they would have taken it.

Well done on being a good neighbor by the way, I should have made that clear.

that is great for what you did, what if somrthing happen, only if I did something.

Bravo! The world needs more folks like you....

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Oh. it wasn't a dig or anything, I was just genuinely curious. Wondering how they would have taken it.

Well done on being a good neighbor by the way, I should have made that clear.
    i was thinking the same way. i think it's one of the first things a lot of us think of... "o.k., i'm legally carrying but when a situation like this arises, (police being there) i better play it safe." i think it's better to think like this than be completely caught off guard and regret it.

by the way, good call. still seems like a strange situation to me. why would the car doors be open like that... regularly.
    What's this button do?

Lead Moderator
    Nice job, must be something old folk like to (leave the car door open) . my neighbor leave her door open about once a month, I tend to just shut it for her without bothering to tell her.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links