Defending your dog

This is a discussion on Defending your dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You could always let the bad guy have it, then pass the pistol to the dog before the LEO's arrive....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defending your dog

Administrator
    You could always let the bad guy have it, then pass the pistol to the dog before the LEO's arrive.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You could always let the bad guy have it, then pass the pistol to the dog before the LEO's arrive.
    "I swear Officer.. the guy kicked the dog..the dog ran inside, grabbed my Glock, ran back out and shot the dude..it was the damnedest thing.. I really wish my video camera had been working."

Thanks for all the input and answers. I have, unarmed, told people in no uncertain terms to stop hurting their dogs. When I go to the dog park, (which, sadly, is not the calm fun place I hoped it would be. Lots of nutty dog owners out there) the best weapon I can take with me is my cell phone. I've called the PD on quite a few people, took down license plate numbers and sworn out affidavits. For me. that's the best way.

Yes, you can't shoot someone over a dog. But you can call the ASPCA, Animal Cruelty, or the police. And trust me, you don't want those animal lovers on your case!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by stamford68 View Post
    Thanks for all the input and answers. I have, unarmed, told people in no uncertain terms to stop hurting their dogs. When I go to the dog park, (which, sadly, is not the calm fun place I hoped it would be. Lots of nutty dog owners out there) the best weapon I can take with me is my cell phone. I've called the PD on quite a few people, took down license plate numbers and sworn out affidavits. For me. that's the best way.

Yes, you can't shoot someone over a dog. But you can call the ASPCA, Animal Cruelty, or the police. And trust me, you don't want those animal lovers on your case!
    Dog parks can be crazy places, not because of the dogs, but because of some crazy, rude, and bully types of people. I live just a few blocks from a dog park, and although I walk my dogs around it, I never take them inside. I heard about an incident where some guy pulled a gun over an incident involving his and some other person's dog. I did not personally observe this, but the woman who told me about it is a pretty reliable peson.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I have a 65 pound "Pit".... let 'em try to beat my dog. He'll beg me to shoot him before it's over.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Quote Originally Posted by Ten_Ring View Post
    I have a 65 pound "Pit".... let 'em try to beat my dog. He'll beg me to shoot him before it's over.

Now see... that's a good answer...

unfortunately, I have a bassett hound... Although if she wanted to, I'd bet she could be ferrocious... she just chooses to be a wussy dog.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Ditto: What Bark'n said.
    In PA we are not justified to use deadly force to protect a dog.

But, I sure would OC Spray somebody that was beating my dog.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Not advocating any action here but:

If someone approaches and begins attacking a dog that's on a leash in my hand, that person is displaying rather odd behavior. That may create a reasonable fear that that person may be a threat to my safety, especially if he has a weapon.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Let me just say that my doberman (Katy) is a big part of my family. In this situation I would just leave the gun out of it and then proceed to pound on this guy's head. That is if Katy hasn't eaten him for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, a dog is property and in 99.9% of the country, you cannot protect property with lethal force.
    Yes, a dog is property. So, 'defense of another person' arguments do not apply.

However, if someone is trying to steal your property in Texas, you can use deadly force to retrieve it, as long as the attempt to retrieve is immediate. I would say that stopping them as they are stealing Fido from your Ford would count.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Not advocating any action here but:

If someone approaches and begins attacking a dog that's on a leash in my hand, that person is displaying rather odd behavior. That may create a reasonable fear that that person may be a threat to my safety, especially if he has a weapon.
    I tend to agree. I would find it an extremely threatening act if someone attacked my dog while he's on a leash and I'm holding the leash. At the very least, I would be rapidly retreating (with my dog).
    This is more theoretical for me, as we only walk our dogs on our own property, so I'd not expect a trespasser to be on the property in the first place.

Take one ASP, Apply liberally about the head, If irritation persists use 2 doses.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by FknRa View Post
    Take one ASP, Apply liberally about the head, If irritation persists use 2 doses.
    A baton strike to the head has quite a good chance of killing them. If you're not justified in using deadly force, you're not justified in using any sort of deadly force, whether it's a bullet or a baton.

Reminds me of http://www.humorbomb.com/sounds/kickdog.wav

Edit: NWS due to language

Officer I found this man beating my dog, I approched, ordered him to stop and he then turned his anger on me. I informed him that I would defend myself if necessary and I chose to hit him in the least vital area I could. The guy had no brain to begin with so I knew that hitting him in the head would do the least ammount of damage possible.
    I will defend my property. I'm not going to go banzai without warning him first and I'm not going to swing first either.

edit:HEHE, forgot about that one AZCHEVY, YOUR DAUGHTER, SHE KICK MY DOG!!!
    Last edited by FknRa; July 9th, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: adding more
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links