Defending your dog

This is a discussion on Defending your dog within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can't protect your own dog from an attack but you can get charged with assualt/battery of a police officer if you did that to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defending your dog

You can't protect your own dog from an attack but you can get charged with assualt/battery of a police officer if you did that to a K9 unit.

OH NOW IT MAKES SENSE.

I am a dog lover and up until last summer I had my dog scout since I was 5. If I ever saw someone beating my dog I would beat the #$!% out of them. I wouldn't draw my gun--and if I had the ability I would leave my gun locked inside my house or in my car just so nothing more than a beating would take place (it would suck to start beating the crap out of the guy only to have him find your gun).

But this is assuming my dog didn't do anythign to deserve a beating. Also, this does not apply to anyone elses dog. IT sucks, but a dog is not a human and they can't be treated as such. Drawing your weapon/using your weapon in this situation would probably send you to jail. You could always mace someone beating a dog. That would probably get them to stop.

PS. Get a bigger dog that can handle itself.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    You can't protect your own dog from an attack but you can get charged with assualt/battery of a police officer if you did that to a K9 unit.

OH NOW IT MAKES SENSE.

thats the popular belief portrayed by hollywood, but like a lot of things you see on TV, it just aint so.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have three Rottweilers, the largest 130 pound 4 yr old male, "go ahead punk and make their day"

" First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Now see... that's a good answer...

unfortunately, I have a bassett hound... Although if she wanted to, I'd bet she could be ferrocious... she just chooses to be a wussy dog.
    I put Miss Wussy on the leash in the front for her to survey her domain and a couple of thuglettes on bikes try to run her down. She is quick enough to run for the porch, but if I could get a spike strip like Law Enforcement uses....I would. If I catch them doing it again...I will give them a verbal lashing that will leave marks. If they try to "thug up" on me....I will make them run without my gun. I think it is called "Getting medivel on their behinds". You just don't mess with my dog.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    thats the popular belief portrayed by hollywood, but like a lot of things you see on TV, it just aint so.
    In GA, it may not be the same as attacking a Police Officer but it is a felony, as opposed to a misdemeanor for attacking or harassing even "assistance" dogs (seeing eye dogs, etc)

See GA Law 16-11-107
    http://www.mountedpolice.com/georgia.html
    ~~~the biggest deficit of the general public is a lack of personal accountability.. I have no one to blame for my actions, regardless of circumstances, except myself and by the same token I can hold no one else responsible for my protection and well being other than myself~~~

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    In GA, it may not be the same as attacking a Police Officer but it is a felony, as opposed to a misdemeanor for attacking or harassing even "assistance" dogs (seeing eye dogs, etc)

See GA Law 16-11-107
    http://www.mountedpolice.com/georgia.html
    Yup, it is in most states, but it is not the same as attacking a officer. (its worse) In a nutshell, It becomes a felony if you attack/damage/vandalize any piece of equipment or property used in ones occupation. I.E. if I damage a truck drivers rig in an act of vandalism, and the truck is taken out of service due to my actions its a felony (in most states)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links