Woman attacked at our Complex

This is a discussion on Woman attacked at our Complex within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last week a 23 yr old woman was attacked by 4 hispanic males with handguns, they kicked in her door demanding drugs. Well, she didn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman attacked at our Complex

Woman attacked at our Complex

Last week a 23 yr old woman was attacked by 4 hispanic males with handguns, they kicked in her door demanding drugs. Well, she didn't have any so they beat the hell out of her, and stole her cell phone. My girlfriend just got a refresher on use of the shotgun. This is just scares the hell outta me. She works differant hours as I do and is home alone quite a bit. Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to help her? She has no fear of the shotgun, and fired it more than a dozen times. Help guys?
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

I would suggest additional physical security for all entry points (doors/windows), a security system/panic button/alarm, bright outside (night) lighting, and a large noisy dog.

I live in an apartment btw....can't do the security system...
    God Bless America!!

check your state's Landlord-Tenant laws

you may be pleasantly surprised what you can do.

talk to you apartment management staff and local police too - they may have some good ideas too

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Talk to management and demand higher security measurements?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Lightbulb Have Her Read This...

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    Last week a 23 yr old woman was attacked by 4 hispanic males with handguns, they kicked in her door demanding drugs. Well, she didn't have any so they beat the hell out of her, and stole her cell phone. My girlfriend just got a refresher on use of the shotgun. This is just scares the hell outta me. She works differant hours as I do and is home alone quite a bit. Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to help her? She has no fear of the shotgun, and fired it more than a dozen times. Help guys?
    One of the best things she can do is to understand the THREAT. This thread is stickied and here is the link: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=25695

I would also investigate ways of reinforcing the door and frame. There are many ways to do this without adding any mods to the permanent structure. There are even alarms you can hang on the knob that will go off at vibration and they're LOUD. Lots of folks who travel for business reasons use these while staying at hotels on the road.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Are dogs allowed?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    He's adorable! Does he like his steak medium rare or well done? I'm certain he likes the BGs raw.

Secure all the doors/windows. A dog that BARKS is Great. Shotgun has alot of recoil and hard to use in close quarters, especially if it has a long barrel. I would recommend at least a .38 special+P revolver (she can carry in any room) and cell phone.Allways be aware of your surroundings. Whatever firearm she chooses for personal protection she MUST practice,practice,practice and allways SAFETY FIRST!
    Stay Safe!
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

Lowe's sells some door braces that hook under the knob and use friction against any floor surface to reinforce the door.

The hanging handle type alarms work.

A large stabbing type knife from Cold Steel under the couch.

A revolver.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Your GF gets a CCW ASAP and if you have a plug in that shotgun take it out. Get an extension for it too. I would have her loaded for bear and ready for lions.

You can almost bet that these guys have been watching your complex for vulnerable persons. I would also assume that they have your schedules down too. Assume that she is next.

Try to get her prepared with scaring the bejesus out her.

Good luck.

Also, Even thought you are in an apartment you may be able to find a solution to strengthen your door. Holes fill up with puddy when it's time to move.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Darrin33

Every one of these posts have given great recommendations!

For the shotgun you may want to get her "reduced recoil" tactical defense loads. or Hornady TAP personal defense rounds with a reduced muzzle flash.

I would introduce her to the use of a handgun and start incorporating that into you all around defense posture. (you would have to decide together what is good for both of you)

A good home defense pistol, and kind of a special purpose weapon is the Taurus 4510TKR-3SS "The Judge." It shoots either the .45 long colt or the .410 shot shell. I saw it reviewed on Personal Defense TV and a few members here have one. Close quarters would pretty much take care of any two legged predator with the .410's.

You should also start developing a "self defense" system and she needs to develop a pro-active "mind set." Study from reputable authors and work on it from this day forward.

None of this will take place over night, but should be developed into an ongoing lifestyle for you and your wife. Nothing like the present example of what transpired in your own apt. complex to be a good catylist!

Exsoldier has a very good post on learning "Threat Assessment." No time like the present to start delving into this type of subject matter.

And take this slow, and be rational about it. Don't panic and let emotions and fear overwhelm you or your wife. But don't be complacent either.

Good Luck!

Please post back frequently and update us on things and steps you decide to take.

I think most people here are more than happy to help any way we can even beyond one or two posts here. So keep us up to speed!

Stay Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wink "Don't Nobody Budge....Here Come Da Judge!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    A good home defense pistol, and kind of a special purpose weapon is the Taurus 4510TKR-3SS "The Judge." It shoots either the .45 long colt or the .410 shot shell. I saw it reviewed on Personal Defense TV and a few members here have one. Close quarters would pretty much take care of any two legged predator with the .410's.
    I'm planning on buying one of these nifty revolvers myself soon! There is an excellent video about the weapon on the Taurus website. Go check it out. To my way of thinking this little ditty would make a SUPERB "truck" gun in an emergency.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ExSoldier...

Dick Metcalf reviewed it on Personal Defense TV on the Outdoor Channel. He described it as a perfect anti-carjacking defense gun and sitting in the drivers seat, shot some .410 loads out the passenger window into some of the "Shoot-n-See" targets on a full size IDPA target just on the otherside of the passenger door. "Devastating!"

You can purchase the entire 1st season DVD's of the Personal Defense TV on the outdoor channels website.

4DVD's over 6 hours, I believe for something like $30.

A very good set I bought just last month.

I highly recommend getting those DVD's for anyone here and Darrin33 as well because over the course if the season, it provides a wide range of defense issues, options, defense training, equipment, tactics, weapons, accessories.

They give a person lots of "food for thought" and lessons that can easily be adapted to your own lifestyle and needs.

Each episode has a segment by Dick Metcalf on "Defensive Tools" such as the Taurus "Judge" revolver and many others.

Clint Smith from Thunder Ranch has a segment on each episode on training, shooting drills, immediate action drills, drawing, reloading, etc.

Massad Ayoob has a segment on each episode on "Action Planning" and legal aspects.

And various trainers go through lots of examples and exercises.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links