Dumb kid Lucky kid

This is a discussion on Dumb kid Lucky kid within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night the cops showed up at my neighbors house in Salt Lake City. The neighbor was stopped at a light with an open window ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb kid Lucky kid

Angry Dumb kid Lucky kid

Last night the cops showed up at my neighbors house in Salt Lake City. The neighbor was stopped at a light with an open window when a kid pulled up on a bicycle, pointed a gun at him and demanded the keys. The neighbor (an 80 year old) grabbed the gun and the kid took off on his bike. Turned out the gun was a BB gun but he didn't know it at the time. The kid is still at large.
    I don't know any more specifics.
    It would be awful to shoot a kid with a toy or BB gun.
    I wonder if the kid has any idea of dangerous that stunt was.
    Makes me MAD!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "It would be awful to shoot a kid with a toy or BB gun."

Yep, it sure would awful but, these days parents had better educate their little delinquent log-headed mindless spaced out brats that they could just get very killed pointing a BB gun at somebody to pull off a robbery.
    Not such a smart thing to do these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    In most cases that I am aware of, shooting someone with a BB gun or an Airsoft that points it at you has been ruled as justifiable.

That of course wouldn't make it any easier if one actually had to do it, but those that do such things ought to be made aware that pointing a toy gun at someone that may have a real one is not a smart move.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    It would be awful to shot a kid and the kid probably never considered the possible consquences of his actions.

But I will not wait nor will I hesitate to act if I precieve that myself or a loved one is in danger.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

When it happens that a younger person points a toy gun and gets shot as a result the hue and cry that it was only a toy is deafning. Sheeple seem to think that you can tell the difference between a toy and a real gun when you are looking down the barrel.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

There have been a fairly large number of robberies committed with fake guns. Some BGs think that it will get them a lighter sentence if caught, since they weren't really armed. Some use the most gun-like thing that is handy, and some even use a finger in the pocket. All it gets the BG is a chance for the Darwin Award.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I don't think in private that I would feel badly about it.

The reason being I would have very little if any way to know in 1ms whether said gun is a toy or not. Also it matters not that the gun was a toy as the holder had intent to psychologically terrorize me into compliance even as his tool might have been fake.
    I feel same about this as I do and would say a person coming up to me from behind with his hand, or a banana, in a hoodie pocket making like the outline of a gun pressed into my back as he makes demands for my compliance to his own whim.
    If I were in that case to somehow gain even for a moment an opportunity to turn the tables and defend myself I would then do so with vigor and to that likely deadly force. Would I feel bad for the guy being wounded or worst, nope. The same applies to BB 'gun' and Airsoft 'gun' toting anyones be they adult or child/teen who might do same.

A long time ago as single digit aged child my mom told and explained to me the following entry and story of Peter from our family Bible;

"And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.
    And, behold, one of them [Peter] which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.
    Then said Jesus unto him [Peter], Put up again thy sword into his place. For all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." - Matthew 26:50-52

At the end of the day we all make our choices and as such we live with or die by the results of our choices.

- Janq

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." - Luke 11:21
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

How many morons are shot with toy or air guns, like the little red plastic muzzle piece will make a difference.

"First rule of a gun fight is to have a gun"

1943 - 2009
    Perfect thread title. Says it all right there.

Where are the parents? They can't be much smarter than their offspring.

Man, I hope I'm never put in this situation.

In the same vein, local teens have discovered the fun pastime of randomly pointing paintball guns at people on the streets.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I recall something similar happened to a member here, but I'll let them pipe in if they like. IIRC, the kids in the truck fled after the member drew down on the kid. When the cops found them, the kid was rather startled to hear the person would have been justified in shooting them.

I'm with Chris on this one... People need to teach their kids better. Frickin' rediculous.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

the guy got lucky it was a BB gun and was able to get it away from the kid.

I have a few older BB guns and in the right conditions if pointed at someone you would not be able to tell if it was a BB gun or not.

Same goes with Airsoft. I know a person with a Glock replica and it's red tip fell off. now that really looks real.

So if I was faced with a yahoo with one pointed at me and it was safe for me to return the gesture I would and I would not feel bad.

your life is in danger as you see it and you either get shot and hope to live or shoot first and stop the threat.

VIP Member
    I had a friend tell me "I'm not going to shoot some young kid if he breaks into my house". I asked if he was going to ask for an ID first.
    There's been people shot over pointing a cell phone at someone pretending its a gun. Dangerous play there.....

Losing an eye or permanent blindness from an "air soft" or "BB gun" is "grave bodily, or crippling injury."

In the course of kids playing around and it being an accident is tragic enough in and of itself.

Used as a threat or intimidation in the commission of a crime, it is "armed robbery" and lethal force is warranted. That's part of the reason people who get shot by a real gun for using a toy gun, the use of force is usually justified. Not just because you couldn't tell if it was real or not, although that is a factoring issue as well.

Imagine if you were an airline pilot or a brain surgeon who had a 13 yr. old stick a BB gun in your face to steal your car? Considered to be a real gun or not, that toy is capable of ruining your life and making you disabled.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'm voting for a dumb kid.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I'm not sure I'd be feeling awful...maybe awful because of all the court costs, time spent waiting in jail etc, and "MAYBE" for the anguish the dumb shmucks mother feels... I see nothing wrong with it. A) you dont know at the time that it's not a real gun, B) the same type of person that will "hold you up" with a bb gun will do it again with a REAL gun if they have access to it. The same type of person is lacking in proper morals and consequently deserves what's coming!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links