electronic earmuffs for home defense?

This is a discussion on electronic earmuffs for home defense? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pair of amplified shooting hearing protectors, when you crank them up you can hear someone talking in a normal tone of voice ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: electronic earmuffs for home defense?

I have a pair of amplified shooting hearing protectors, when you crank them up you can hear someone talking in a normal tone of voice at over 100 yards like they are standing next to you.

Yes they are stereo N you can tell where a sound comes from.

Now the bad news they amplify every sound, a floor board creaks under you foot sounds more like a sonic boom, you hear every leaf rustle like there is a hurricane when outside, every car sounds like it is roaring by within 300 yards, that is if you crank them up.
    This type is an expensive unit vs a standard electronic hearing protection, and in a crisis you may not wish to take the time or think about putting them on, and a real mean attorney could misconstrue your intent to you were hunting the poor POS BG that broke into your house and wanted to kill / rob/ assault you and your family.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

It's a wonderful idea, and protecting my hearing is very important. If I've got a situation where I need a firearm to protect myself and my family in our home, however, it will be of very, very low priority at that time.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Maybe a round or two of "hide and seek" with kids or friends, trying out the muffs in total darkness, might be a good way to check on this. You: get in the bedroom, find and turn on the muffs in total darkness. Friend: Is inside door or window at likely point of entry and tries to sneak in or you try to find him. Things that you might find out include the fact that an overhead fan or HVAC unit's noise might render them less effective, or that your sense of direction from which the noise is coming is dulled. Think I'll try it when my muffs get back from Ridgeline.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have always had a greater concern for the damage to the hearing of others in the house (GF, gogs, cats etc), if I do have to discharge my firearm. At least my adrenaline would racing when I am about to fire, but for all those that are sound asleep....well, it would scare the s*** out of them.

Though, most hearing damage is caused by repeated or long term exposure to loud noises.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Hey, What about a Silencer? Of course you'd have to get the federal stamp or whatever is required but no worry about hearing damage for you or your family then.
    For God, Family and Country!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Hey, What about a Silencer? Of course you'd have to get the federal stamp or whatever is required but no worry about hearing damage for you or your family then.
    Class III items for self defense probably not a good Idea.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=22671

HK Employee uses Ruger AAC 556 full auto in self defense. After he was chased from West Virginia to his work in Chantilly VA. Talk about a flee plee, well I only ran away for 60 miles and the guy put bullet holes in the back of my car, wife was pregnant and after trying to get in to a secured facility,(HK) I used my machine gun in self defense. The lawyer even said "BECAUSE" he used a machine gun in self Defense he was going to be tried for capital murder. He ended up loosing his job a crap load of money. I think their was even a statement in that article saying "If he used a Browning Superpous instead it would have made things alot differen't"
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Seems like there is enough things going on to worry about earmuffs. Nature takes care of it for us in the form of auditory exclusion (hearing loss, reduction) during times of stress. Shooting at the range and shooting under stress are two different things.
    I am concerned with the immediate threat not some possible problem resulting from the discharge in a confined space.

Heck, why not, as long as you are not wasting time, looking for the muffs, when you need to dealing with the threat. I might start keeping next to my gun.

I have heard the "bump in the night" once, really it was more of a thump, and then the sound of glass breaking. I had my trusty peltor's sitting right beside my bed. The noise came from down stairs, all the children were in bed, my wife was next to me.... Oh oh!! This is not good!! I stood guard by the top of the stairs for what seemed like 120 minutes (Wife said it was more like 5 minutes), waiting for bad guy!! , wife is on the phone with PD... on and on and on...

Long story short.... I never EVER thought about the "muffs", and the noise wasn't a bad guy, it was just a large picture that decided to fall off the wall and crash on to the fireplace.
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by knpjdad View Post
    Long story short.... I never EVER thought about the "muffs", and the noise wasn't a bad guy, it was just a large picture that decided to fall off the wall and crash on to the fireplace.
    Ahhhh... Gremlins! Not exactly BG's, but they can wreck havoc on your nerves like BG's.

I think amplified electronic muffs have a place in one's tool box. Definitely a piece of "special purpose" equipment. Not exactly essential, but can play a critical role in certain scenario's.

If you forget to put them on... I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for your defense plan though. At least we hope not!

I say, use them if you want, don't use them if you do not want... Your choice, your life, your piece of mind, and certainly nothing wrong with wanting to include them in your "toolbox!"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links