electronic earmuffs for home defense?

This is a discussion on electronic earmuffs for home defense? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If in the event someone decides to break into my house at night while I'm at home, I have a set of peltor electronic earmuffs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electronic earmuffs for home defense?

If in the event someone decides to break into my house at night while I'm at home, I have a set of peltor electronic earmuffs at my nightstand next to my shotgun. When on, these muffs suppress loud noises, but amplify quieter ones. I would imagine that having these on during a home invasion would be a great idea for two reasons: One, in case of required use of a firearm, your ears won't be ringing afterwards (and you won't have to worry about possible permanent hearing damage), and two (which might be an even better reason), it would increase your awareness of the intruders due to amplification of quiet sounds.

What do you guys think?
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Interesting. Do these things work in stereo so you can still tell which direction the sound is coming from?

What about those instant changing welding goggles/hoods built onto a pair of glasses so you dont get blinded by the muzzle flash?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

GG,
    I have some Peltors and they work well.
    I believe you are betting your life on a set of batteries.
    Assuming you have time to get "geared up" to deal with the intruder, you may find your batteries dead and you'll need more time to get them off. I certainly understand they are quick to remove but time may be very critical.
    I'd pass on that idea.

Dave

Senior Moderator
    I'm don't think I would take the time to don earmuffs in case of a home invasion.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Like Airedale said, you're kinda betting on a set of batteries (that will probably die right when you need them). Aside from that, I highly doubt that you'd even hear the gunshot in the midst of an adreneline-charged situation.
    For example, anybody remember your first deer?...anybody remember your ears being hurt by the sound of the shot or feeling pain from the recoil?...didn't think so.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sounds Like a Plan...

But then, we all have MANY plans in our lives...

I'm willing to bet that during a potential 'home invasion' or 'burglary' during the night, your pumping adrenal glands are going to have you thinking more about how to get the urine stains out of the bedroom carpet than about putting on your 'muffs'...

I could be wrong though...I'm not sure that I would worry about ear protection more than family protection and cover. I'll admit, I have thought about that myself. I have the expensive 'muffs' too, and several pairs of the cheapie 'plugs' (still admit sound)...I have also wondered how I would look to the cops as I'm standing over the BG's body wearing shooting gloves, shooting glasses, and electronic shooting earmuffs saying, "I feared for my life, I couldn't think straight, I thought I was going to die...HONEST officer!...but 2CM and 1H, not bad, EH?"

Stay armed...listen carefully in the night...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Shooting outside is a little differn't then shooting in a room.

Most people imagine themselves getting wisked out of bed and being perfectly aware of all there surroundings. This is a fallacy. Most people are going to be groggy and still some what in a sleepable state, probably having to grab a flashlight for sight or find a lightswitch to illuminate the room. Why not then add one more advantage to the arsenal. Understanding the auditory sounds and have a better understanding of whats going in the house. When the situation arises I think dawning a set of electronic muffs is a outstanding idea, expecially if you live in a two story home and have other people living in the house. For most of us who sleep next to our loved ones adding a second to the time when glass is breaking downstairs, fluffy is barking or something is going bump in the night is not a bad thing. Sure no situation has a perfect checklist to follow in order to survive; however, I think it will enhance your ability to understand all that is going on. Not to mention I don't see many books, or people who have established theircredibility through the years as tactical people, saying clearing your house is a good idea, unless its to retrieve a loved one in another room. In a fight you want every advantage offered to you. Sure ear muff batteries can die; however, your gun may not work either no situation has a end all be all answer; however, I'll keep my Peltor Tac 7's next to my bad, Frankly I can get my gun out first and put my ear muffs on in probably under 2 seconds, while I'm doing this my better half already has her 9mm in hand ready for anything bad to start, I'll stay in my safe room with her, knowing everything that is going on in my house with those puppies on.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Like Airedale said, you're kinda betting on a set of batteries (that will probably die right when you need them). Aside from that, I highly doubt that you'd even hear the gunshot in the midst of an adreneline-charged situation.
    For example, anybody remember your first deer?...anybody remember your ears being hurt by the sound of the shot or feeling pain from the recoil?...didn't think so.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Most modern day defensive ammuniton has less flash and not nearly enough to blind you then target ammuntion.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Interesting. Do these things work in stereo so you can still tell which direction the sound is coming from?

What about those instant changing welding goggles/hoods built onto a pair of glasses so you dont get blinded by the muzzle flash?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Yes, they work in stereo.

Also, for all those saying it's "betting your life on a set of batteries." How is that any different from using a flashlight? Or making an escape in a car? Or using a set of night vision goggles? Or using a hearing aid?

I figure, if I have the forethought to don the muffs, I'll be better off for it. As for the batteries dying, the muffs make an audible "beep" sound when you turn them on, so you'll know they're on. They'll run for several hundred hours on one set of AAAs, so I highly doubt they'll die in the next five minutes. And even if they do, they beep again before they die or turn off, so you can just toss them in the unlikely event the batteries do die.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Yes,what he said. When you know it hits the fan, you well most like forget the ear muffs anyway.

If I think I've got time to get the 'muffs on, I'll use them. Just like if I think I have time to get to my Social Shotgun or my AR, I'll use one of them as well. I've HAD the unfortunate occasion to fire the 5.56mm & .45 ACP indoors at close quarters. The noise of the blast WILL lessen your senses & disorient you. If I can put on a set of Electronic Noise Reducing 'muffs that increase my ability to hear/locate the threat AND protect my hearing from short-term/long-term damage... you can bet Granny's iron lung I'll wear 'em.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If time allows and fresh batteries - doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Have the muffs available, if you can use them ok if no time don't.

Administrator
    Well, it should not be too difficult to change some batteries every once in a while.

I believe the Peltor muffs are good for 500 or 600 hours on 2 AA Batteries.
    So it's not like they are eating batteries up like French Fries.

I would say that whatever helps to make the maximum use of all of our senses is beneficial rather than harmful.

The ONLY muffs that I would put on though would be the electronic sound amplification shooting muffs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I keep a pair of Silencio muffs permanently hanging off the door knob in the closet where I store/hang my gun belts and holsters. My 4yr. old likes to play with it every so often and remark how she can't hear me and thus is rendered invisible. Their NRR is 25 db.
    Little does she know I picked them up on discount for $4.99 to toss on to her head in the event of an emergency occurring in our home. As well they are spares for when I take a guest/newbie to the range, I wear the Silencio and I loan my good Peltor e-muffs to the visitor.
    Additionally in my gun safe along with my two CCW guns are two pair of brand new never been used quality foam inner ear plugs with a NRR of 21db. Those two are there for my wife and I as we both flee via a side door directly to my daughters room and dial 911.

My house is far too large and with way too many hallways, rooms, corners and hiding places to attempt clearing.
    That would be a fools folly and besides that's what 911 and my dog is for.
    If a person or persons were to attempt to enter my daughters room then well it's going to be damn loud.

I keep my Peltor e-muffs charged on the same cycle as I do our baby monitor batteries (every 2 weeks) and I tend to store it either in my shooting kit which sits in my office or they too hang off the doorknob along with the Silencio.

Saving my families senses is high on my list along with their life and limb if at all possible.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links