What to do with your family when there is little to no cover?

This is a discussion on What to do with your family when there is little to no cover? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We live in a city with several nice parks. Our kids love to get out and play on the various playgrounds and burn off their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We live in a city with several nice parks. Our kids love to get out and play on the various playgrounds and burn off their excess energy with which they are endowed.

The parks here are very open, as trees in southern New Mexico are a bit of a novelty. My question is what would you do if you have virtually no cover? We are never very far from our vehicle which would be available if we can predict the threat early enough.

Keeping in mind that we have four kids, ages 1 to 8, hiding behind the one of two trees available is not a practical option for the family.

Basically what to I do with my family if we are threatened in a relatively flat open area approximately 75 yards from any cover but a jungle gym?

I remember my dad saying something about being taught, in the military, to lay down 90 degreees to the threat to minimize the chance of being hit, but that may have only been related to strafing by an airplane.

Thanks for any input that will help me protect my family.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Move yourself and /or your family at right angles to the line of fire , If you are going to aggressively respond to the threat send your family packing for the nearest cover at a right angle from where the fire is coming from ( a target moving to the side is much harder to hit than one advancing or retreating ) . If your simply trying to leave and the VCAs are shooting at someone else , then still move at a right angle out of the line of fire to the nearest cover avalable . Dont run directly away from , or to the action . Distance is your friend since few criminals are a good shot at anything beyond bad breath range .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Distance is your friend
    Exactly. The wife is taking the kids AWAY. No discussions. They are leaving via the quickest path that does not add extra danger to them. What is more they are getting away from ME. When I start shooting (as I also add distance) if I fail to stop the criminal I want his attention to be on ME, not my wife and children who are leaving the danger area.

Now if it looks like I can escape with them without adding extra danger to them then I am certainly going to run as well. In a large open area though trying to get two kids to safety this does not seem like an option.

Senior Moderator
    +1 with RR and Musketeer. It is hard to hit a rapidly receeding target.

Plus cover dosen't have to be much. A very slight swell of ground, street curb, behind a raised playground all become cover when you go prone.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You play the field you're on. My immediate thought is: high-capacity=suppressive fire.

Hopefully your mind will be focusing on the threat if you can have your wife trained to get away. Even if all they can remember is don't get behind or between you or the BG. You need to be way focused on shooting fast and not missing. +1 for Hi cap mags here.

I think I'd stand where I am so I can focus on putting him down while my family retreats. Odds are if I take one it won't be instantly incapacitating so I can stay in the fight a wile before I bleed out, Which I will do if necessary.
    Last edited by Cupcake; July 16th, 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    What everyone has said... and my .02 cents worth of opinion too.

Understand that anyone, including bad guys, have a natural instinct to focus on an immediate threat. If you show yourself as an immediate, deadly threat to the bad guy, chances are he won't be thinking about your family anymore as he is focused on nuetralizing or fleeing you. You and your family needs to know and understand this.

In a coverless situation, you will probably be their cover while they escape as fast and as far away as possible. They need to know (without overly graphic detail to the little ones) that daddy might get hurt, but he is getting hurt to protect their lives. No one is to stay and watch, or turn to help daddy. They are to run as far away as fast as they can.

Its sobering to fully realize that this can be a consequence of choosing to defend your family. Its not the movies. Its a plain cold, hard reality that choosing to protect your family in the face of overwhelming danger may result in you never coming home. I know I would rather not come home and have my wife and kids be safe and alive then watch my family be slaughtered because I could do nothing to defend them.

LR - you got your post in right before me. Well you summed it up in fewer words.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I strongly disagree with the last two posts , Movement away from the family immediately IMHO is a key safety factor for them . A few steps away can dramaticly refocus the " beaten zone " or cone of downrange danger away from the kids and wife . If you can't move AND shoot , well then Move a couple of steps while you draw then shoot . However you do it put as much distance between your family and the zone of danger as fast as possible .

Edited to add:

I posted this with
    I think I'd stand where I am so I can focus on putting him down while my family retreats
    in mind. I have a lessor disagreement with high volume supressive fire as an acceptable practice .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I strongly disagree with the last two posts , Movement away from the family immediately IMHO is a key safety factor for them . A few steps away can dramaticly refocus the " beaten zone " or cone of downrange danger away from the kids and wife . If you can't move AND shoot , well then Move a couple of steps while you draw then shoot . However you do it put as much distance between your family and the zone of danger as fast as possible .
    No problem with a little repositioning, but I think the family should be getting away from the danger more than hoping the danger will follow me away from the family. I'm just saying I'm not running all over looking for cover or shooting while retreating. I just want to put him down NOW, even if that means being more vulnerable for longer than I would want to be if I were alone.

**Edit to add: Personally, I usually only have 10 rounds on me. While hi volume supressive fire would be great here. I'm just gonna try to do the best shooting I ever have, quickly
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    RR -

I actually think we are all discussing the same tactic, but just different segments of it. Combine all of the posts. Family moving away fast and furious. You taking steps and movements to better attack the BG and WIN!!!! Two groups of the same party - you and your family - moving opposite directions in unison to insure that family is safe, and that you win the fight.

I personally am not seeing any disagreement with the tactics at all. I am seeing common sense when it is melded together.

EDIT : Add to that the husband and wife teams who travel armed. As the husband is engaging, the wife is moving the kids perpendicular to safety. If she is alert, she now has the opertunity to make the nuetralizing shot in a crossfire. Just a suggested evolution on a good plan.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

ok guys i set here chastised , What i read into the posts was not the intent of the posts . I still feel that the clarification was needed tho lol .

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Add to that the husband and wife teams who travel armed. As the husband is engaging, the wife is moving the kids perpendicular to safety. If she is alert, she now has the opertunity to make the nuetralizing shot in a crossfire. Just a suggested evolution on a good plan.

My wife does not carry but in the given scenario if she did the only thing I would want her to do with that gun is kill anything between her, the kids and safety. I do not want her going through the trouble of getting the kids safely out of the line of fire only to attract attention back to her and where the children are.

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I should add that my wife doesn't carry. We are still discussing her carrying. Although she supports me carrying and checks to make sure I have my weapon with me, she is still reluctant. I have the fear that through some random act of violence my wife may finally be convinced to carry, too late.

With all of that in mind, my tactics have to be designed around the fact that she is very heads-up and intuitive and will follow my directions implicitly in a tactical scenario.

ok guys i set here chastised , What i read into the posts was not the intent of the posts . I still feel that the clarification was needed tho lol .
    RR, Please don't feel chastised, you are right that the clarity was a good thing. My thoughts have a way of making much more sense in my head than out loud (or in type). On bad days, they don't even make sense in my head.

I have a lessor disagreement with high volume supressive fire as an acceptable practice .
    I say that with the idea of parks I went to as a kid, in SW Colorado. Trees were on the periphery, maybe 3-4 "inside" the park, few landscaped hills that would provide adequate cover to get out of the line of fire to get to your vehicle (not just get out of the LOF and cower), and knowing that if the threat is far enough away for me to worry about cover, it's far enough to be a challenge for good pistol shooting under pressure (>30 yards and moving).

Anything <20 yards, you're wasting time trying to hide behind something, >30 yards in the open, and you should be thinking about getting the other guy's head down(assuming you can't shoot him "from ambush" while he's worrying about someone else).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links