The first rule of gunfighting...

This is a discussion on The first rule of gunfighting... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An anecdote from my neck of the woods... A short while ago, a man was murdered in a "safe" downtown commercial/residential neighborhood in Brasilia during ...

Thread: The first rule of gunfighting...

VIP Member

The first rule of gunfighting...

An anecdote from my neck of the woods...

A short while ago, a man was murdered in a "safe" downtown commercial/residential neighborhood in Brasilia during the early afternoon. As far as we've been able to determine, the events unfolded as follows:

A young man was accosting/assaulting a woman at the edge of a small park, in an area where the park abutted a commercial street lined with shops, cafes, et cetera. The motive for the assault is unclear. The assailant was armed with a handgun. A shopkeeper saw what was happening - but apparently didn't see the gun - and moved to intervene. As the shopkeeper/Good Samaritan approached, the assailant turned and attempted to shoot him, but the weapon malfunctioned. At this point, the Samaritan grabbed a chair and charged the assailant. The assailant meanwhile managed to get his weapon functioning, and shot the Samaritan twice in the chest, killing him.

The good news is that the original victim escaped, and that the local police apprehended the criminal.

The majority of us here already follow the first rule of gunfighting most - if not all - of the time, but this is a graphic example of what can happen when we donít.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Doesn't South America have the toughest antigun laws in the hemisphere? Kind of like DC with more kidnappings? You're active duty down there? Do you get an exemption? I hope so.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Doesn't South America have the toughest antigun laws in the hemisphere? Kind of like DC with more kidnappings? You're active duty down there? Do you get an exemption? I hope so.
    The gun laws depend upon what country you are in, of course, but they are MUCH more restrictive here in Brazil then they are in the States. Of course, the murder and violent crime rates are much higher here as well. Kidnappings are a problem, but they aren't as bad as in some other countries - the big thing here is plain old gang violence and armed robbery.

I am not active duty any more; I'm a Fed assigned here. We have had American officers robbed, mugged, caught up in bank robberies, and just about anything else you can imagine short of murdered since I've been here (about a year), including other Feds. I carry (legally by both Brazilian and American laws) every day, everywhere.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links