Training a Dog for home security

This is a discussion on Training a Dog for home security within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know I just got a Lab puppy. I know that most Labs would kill someone with kisses instead of teeth but ...

Thread: Training a Dog for home security

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

As many of you know I just got a Lab puppy. I know that most Labs would kill someone with kisses instead of teeth but I would like some tips on how to at least get her to be a good alarm dog to augment my overall self defense plan. If something isn't right I want her to let me know.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I saw a article by Massad Ayoob once where he talked about his dog.
    Like he said, the only thing a dog really needs is obeidance training as dogs are naturally protective and territorial.
    When you train a dog to be like a attack dog, you are setting yourself up for a fall. If the dog does nip someone...they can use that against you in court...like a neighbor or neighbor's kid. Names are the same way. Names like Killer or Man Eater are not good. He thinks that any dog including breeds that are known for attack are better named Fluffy or Joey. He had a Great Dane named Jerahma Puppy Beast. He said when taken into court they would see Maraduke the loveable pup from the Cartoons, not a huge dog protecting his family. It is in one of his books....a very good read.
    Your pup will learn on his own to bark at strangers and protect his "pack", his mommy and daddy and his home. Teach him to sit, stay, come, and fetch...the rest will come naturally.
    I wish I could remember which Ayoob book it was. I will see if Barkn will post it in here later. HE would know.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I saw a article by Massad Ayoob once where he talked about his dog.
    Like he said, the only thing a dog really needs is obeidance training as dogs are naturally protective and territorial.
    When you train a dog to be like a attack dog, you are setting yourself up for a fall. If the dog does nip someone...they can use that against you in court...like a neighbor or neighbor's kid. Names are the same way. Names like Killer or Man Eater are not good. He thinks that any dog including breeds that are known for attack are better named Fluffy or Joey. He had a Great Dane named Jerahma Puppy Beast. He said when taken into court they would see Maraduke the loveable pup from the Cartoons, not a huge dog protecting his family. It is in one of his books....a very good read.
    Your pup will learn on his own to bark at strangers and protect his "pack", his mommy and daddy and his home. Teach him to sit, stay, come, and fetch...the rest will come naturally.
    I wish I could remember which Ayoob book it was. I will see if Barkn will post it in here later. HE would know.
    Yeah, I am definately against training a dog to attack. I really just want Scout to be a good watchdog.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Your puppy will perform for you. He will learn you are his "pack" and naturally protect you and the family as well as his territory. Dogs are amazing in that reguard. Cats on the other hand are more likely to shove you in front of them and run.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Your new pal will probably not be alert/protective as a pup...but can learn. Soon, you may notice the pup focus on strange noises and such. My Rhodesian Ridgeback and the Retriever both alert on noises or people they see walking by the house. I always let them bark a 'little' before telling them that it is ok. If there is a knock at the door, or a noise in the night, I will say to them, "Who's that? See who's there!" They catch on quite quickly that their job is to sense out of the ordinary noises.

I am always amazed that they will bark at a strange car...but while sitting in the living room when my wife drives up...they immediately go to the garage door to welcome her back...they know her car 'noise'. In fact, they hear her car way before I do. Obviously, when I'm out, they hear my Harley a block away, but then, so do the neighbors...

It will all come naturally...a dog will let you know about who/what is around the house...and all you have to do is encourage the excellent warning system that they can naturally become!

Enjoy your new friend...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    As many of you know I just got a Lab puppy. I know that most Labs would kill someone with kisses instead of teeth but I would like some tips on how to at least get her to be a good alarm dog to augment my overall self defense plan. If something isn't right I want her to let me know.
    The better you treat her, the better she'll protect you and yours. She can't help you if she isn't with you, either. My next door neighbor had thousands of dollars in vandalism done inside her home because her lab was in a crate while she was at work, but my house with a dog sleeping on the couch was untouched.

Most labs are pretty good about sounding the alarm. Beyond that, don't expect them to attack anyone. If at about age 2 she isn't real protective yet, breed her. Let her raise pups in your house and try to keep one from the litter. My shorthair was not very protective until she had pups and her demeaner changed completely in regard to anyone coming on the property. She doesn't try to bite them, but man what a scary verbal presentation. Sometimes it scares me. My buddy had an English Bulldog who was unprotective as well, until she had pups. After that she would scare the crap out of anyone who came in the yard.

My dogs are just an extra alarm system to let me know if something is here that aint supposed to be here.

I have this sign posted on the gate.

When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I know most don't realize it - but it's the breeds that we think of as "teddy bears" or life long puppies that catch us off guard. If one was to pull up some stats of dogs that cause bodily harm you could see that a Labrador ranks very close to the stats of a Bull Mastiff - but the lab still falls shy of the German Shepherd. So I would not under estimate a lab coming to my defense - of course with any animal - it could take an offensive roll too. We have done the Schutzhund training with our Shepherds in the past and will do it for the next ones. If you are not competing with the dogs, one could skip the bite training. But I feel it's all integral - meaning if they did take an offensive roll and decide on their own to bite - they would have the training to be called off the attack. I have been involved with big dogs my entire life - mainly German Shepherds - I have only been bit by a dachshund and a poodle - go figure. jmo

Senior Moderator
    As she gets older, she'll consider the home and environs "hers" and be more interested in telling interlopers to go away.

As a pup, she's not yet ready to take charge of her domain in that way. That's the purview of an older, more mature pack member.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

As many of you know I just got a Lab puppy.
    Plan on spending a lot of time at the range; they seem to have an ingrained flinch, and the lack of opposable thumbs makes it nearly impossible for them to reload quickly.

It may sound wierd, But when people drive up or come to the door, Bark. Dogs are pack animals and learn very well by example. If whenever someone comes in the yard you bark once or twice it should show the pup that this is the correct behavior. Then take him to the door with you and make him sit and wait for you to open the door. That way he knows to go to the door when there are people there.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

My chocolate lab learned at an early age to let us know whenever anyone gets near the house. You need to use a lot of positive reinforcement every time they bark at the bell or a knock at the door. Mine would pop her head up when there was a noise and I would ask her in an excited voice "whose there" and get her to run to the door. Keep it fun and exciting for them and reward that behavior.l
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I disagree with an "attack" dog for the home. You can however make a great "alarm" dog out of any breed. The key is to encourage their barking whenever someone is at the door. This can be a very irritating prospect however, as you MUST not discourage them from barking at ANY unusual (to them) sound they hear. My 11 month old lab is an excellent alarm dog. My 8 year old shepard is not, but my lab barks, they see they shepard...the combination works out.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Links