Quick story

Quick story

This is a discussion on Quick story within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wednesday night I was at my sponsor bar after my softball game watching the Yankees game when I over heard the bar tender asking another ...

Thread: Quick story

Quick story

Wednesday night I was at my sponsor bar after my softball game watching the Yankees game when I over heard the bar tender asking another patron if he was ok and if "they" got his wallet. I waited until he walked outside and then asked her if he was mugged. She proceeded to tell me that he was walking home one night recently (he never walks she said, but it was a nice night) and a male black, age 16-20, 200-220 pounds as reported to the police approached him with a friend and asked him for a light. He lit the guys cigarette and as he handed it back the guy said "got any money" and reached for his pocket. He grabbed the BG's hand and the other one pulled a gun and shot him. Thankfully he is OK but it was a real eye opener, and I can not wait till they finally send my permit in the mail. I received a letter 2 weeks ago letting me know I was approved but am still waiting for my paper.

VIP Member
    Yeah, sucks to be unarmed and helpless when they decide they'll shoot anyway.

Put some thought into how you would carry or where you would keep your gun during/after softball. Plus, most places don't allow it in a bar. Things to think about.

Good luck and glad you have decided to take on the responsibility of arming/defending yourself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have decided that when I am not allowed to carry in an establishment or work I am ordering a car lock box.

Quote Originally Posted by lopadrino79 View Post
    asked him for a light. He lit the guys cigarette and as he handed it back the guy said "got any money" and reached for his pocket.
    Unless he was looking for a date- dumb thing to do. Be proactive. Be rude. If there's going to be a fight, you need to be ahead of the curve.

Lighting the cig is pretty universally recognized as the, "this isn't happening to me...", move. The BG knew the victim was in denial or really, really innocent, and whatever happened, he (the BG) was in control.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am glad you are approved and awaiting the permit . With that being said your " Weapon" is carried between the ears , not on the belt . Use situational awareness and caution when dealing with strangers. Strangers who approach me stay at least a reach and a lunge away. If personal space is going to be invaded then I will be the one to do it . If nothing else my behavior makes experianced VCA's think that i am not easy prey , and i could care less what other strangers think .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I try to stay well away from strangers when in questionable situations as my personnal space is extended to at least 10 ft. and then some. Anyone entering this zone must do so knowing they are pushing the envelope for most people, and should be prepaired for battle when doing so.

I Agree Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I am glad you are approved and awaiting the permit . With that being said your " Weapon" is carried between the ears , not on the belt . Use situational awareness and caution when dealing with strangers. Strangers who approach me stay at least a reach and a lunge away. If personal space is going to be invaded then I will be the one to do it . If nothing else my behavior makes experianced VCA's think that i am not easy prey , and i could care less what other strangers think .
    Most people who barely know me will ask why I am so serious...I guess I don't smile much out in public...the term 'stone face' has been used to describe me...
    When out in the world, I keep very serious, aware, and I look at those 'looking at me' straight into the eye...I do make eye contact with those who look like they might be...whatever...

I have had people approach me in parking lots asking for (money, directions, etc...). The last one was in a local food store parking lot, and I had seen this individual around before, but he didn't remember me. Before he got within 20 feet of me (and he was coming at me), I pointed my finger at him and loudly informed him to take a different direction (that's not exactly how or what I said, but you get the picture). He immediately put up his hands and said, "OK, OK". He then turned on his heals and disappeared.

It's not a matter of being rude, just staying safe!

OMO

Stay armed...alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links