Creeped out the insurance guy.

This is a discussion on Creeped out the insurance guy. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hola. A while back my GF had a fender bender. The insurance claim guy came by to assess her vehicle. WELL........I had my HK .45 ...

Thread: Creeped out the insurance guy.

Hola. A while back my GF had a fender bender. The insurance claim guy came by to assess her vehicle. WELL........I had my HK .45 on the coffee table, unloaded, because I was going to clean the barrel because it had some powder build up. The insurance guy came in while I was in the restroom and so I didn't have enough time to hide my HK. I heard the guy come into the living room, the guy was talking then, as if he was interrupted, he said, "you know what, lets go outside and we'll talk about the bumper". I came out and I "felt" that the guy was keeping his distance and he gave me a long 5 second stare. Then he left. I actually think he was really threatened, because he even lost his way out of my GF neighborhood, which is just a right and a left to the main street.

some people act like they've seen an alien when they see a firearm. They think you're absolutely crazy.

skippy, in Houston, he probably has previous experience to give him bad vibes! Unless you are significantly upper-middle class.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    skippy, in Houston, he probably has previous experience to give him bad vibes! Unless you are significantly upper-middle class.
    Ah, you gotta point there.

VIP Member
    It might have been an opportune time to get him to waive the deductible
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You are lucky he was an honest man, he could've swiped that HK and beat a retreat with it.
    My wife doesn't let me leave guns laying around when anyone comes in the house, 'keep honest people honest' is her way of looking at it.

If he's in insurance and heading to people's homes, he would really flip if he were aware of the percentage of homes he visits had firearms and/or folks that carried. He needs a protective suit, if he's going to be that naive.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If he's in insurance and heading to people's homes, he would really flip if he were aware of the percentage of homes he visits had firearms and/or folks that carried. He needs a protective suit, if he's going to be that naive.
    maybe this his first time seeing a pistol just sitting on a coffee table.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I see it his way (the insurance guy, that is).

Come on, people. He's a guy who is essentially going into the home of a stranger, who doesn't know the stranger is a good, honest, law-abiding, non-violent person. He doesn't know that the gun is innocently out there to be "cleaned." He can't even necessarily tell if it's loaded or not.

He simply sees a gun out on the table. This is not an "ordinary" sight for most people. Even most gun owners don't just leave guns out lying on tables! (They have gun safes, or even just glass display cases, or guns are kept in drawers or under pillows or whatever.)

I think it's not unlikely the guy thought the gun was out there for INTIMIDATION. And whether it was or wasn't (of course it wasn't), that's what the effect was.

Let's be more conscientious about where we leave guns when there might be interlopers to stumble across them unintended.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    It might have been an opportune time to get him to waive the deductible
    +1

or to see if he would pay it for you.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

What's worse about insurance guys is that some of them are deathly afraid of anything resembling a lethal instrument.

A friend of mine collects swords of all types. Cheap "fantasy" swords are displayed but his rare ones are in a safe. His homeowner's insurance agent refused to insure them claiming they were "weapons" and not a "collection". In fact, the next billing he received was 20% higher. When he inquired, it was because he "displayed weapons" in his home. He found another insurance company after that.
    BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
    Webmaster - Taking on Gun Control
    http://dragon.hematite.com
    A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone!

Being an insurance guy, I can tell you I've been threatened in the past, when folks were not happy about their claims. I quickly learned bad new gets said over the phone,whenever possible, not standing in the insured's living room. Seeing a gun on a table, where he going to be discussing the claim could have been making him nervous. When dealing with the public, you never know who you are dealing with and I've run across all kinds of nut jobs. One of our adjusters carried his 1911 in his briefcase routinely. He was out meeting with an insured investigating a dog bite claim. Naturally the dog involved was said to be gentle and would never bite anyone, until it attacked and bit HIM several times, as he struggled to get to his briefcase, having every intention of shooting this large German shepard that was not responding to the owner and was biting the H@ll out of him. He got his hand on his gun, just as the dog let loose and was finally restrained by the owner.

Handling claims after Hurricane Andrew in S. Miami, one of our adjusters was standing in the driveway with a homeowner discussing his claim, when a carload of thugs pulled up waving guns and demanding money, to which the homeowner produced his own gun and fired several shots at the group , running them off. The adjuster quit the next day, he was afraid of going back in the area.

He must have been a Hoplaphobe.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links