The drenched piece. - Page 2

The drenched piece.

This is a discussion on The drenched piece. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Verbalizations...Get Back, Back up....[use the time to access, Is he shootable?, What is going on?] Get your legs up and your head off the deck ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Verbalizations...Get Back, Back up....[use the time to access, Is he shootable?, What is going on?]

Get your legs up and your head off the deck [assuming you couldn't get off the ground safely given the proximics of the situation], to be able to stop him from coming in on you.

Keep the gun back in retention position, lest you lose it in the ensuing fray.

Manuever so that you can get some idea of what is behind your head, lest his buddy give you a 'bootparty' while you try and figure out what's going on.

Oh, and I'm not concerned about water in the barrel. The only time you have to really worry about water tension in the bore is with pretty small diameter barrels [such as 5.56mm]. I've lobbed guns across the range into shindeep standing water, fished it out, run downrange, retrieved it and commenced shooting without ill effects.:D

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Paul - good to have feedback on actual ''wet'' shooting!

I mentioned elsewhere but again welcome - good to have you on board.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    QK - as I understand it - if entire ''environment'' is water then the underwater firing is safe. If tho a ''mixed'' environment - water and air - things change.

Anyways - this is only a trial situation - going for input as usual!

Re the person being a cop - I'd expect by stage of ''showdown'' per my fiction, that any cop would have already verbalized enough to defuze things - hopefully! Apart from not implying any ''lunge'' manouvers!
    The underwater firing is "safe" to a very limited degree. First, no HP's. Second, you may have a set of ruptured nuts, eyeballs, eardrums, and other parts. Well, probably not ruptured, but severely bruised and possibly permanently damaged. There are a lot of variables, bullet weight/velocity, level of submersion, water temp, etc.. There was a discussion on HKPro about this, and an ex-Navy guy chimed in.

Mixed environment, like you describe, should not be much of an issue. My concern would be cycling. Did you hit your mag release accidentally? Got a piece of gravel lodged between the hammer and slide (ala 1911/BHP/USP)? That type of thing.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    KC, you maybe miss the point a bit. The darkness has little bearing here, or even seeing the gun - the gun and hand have just effectively gone under water ... no need to see that - it is wet and cold! You are sitting there on wet ground - looking up at a threat.

I am failing to project my own mental image I guess.

By the time said gun and hand are raised there is no spare time to go for a BUG - it is shoot or not... the BG threat is too total.

Nate - the gun having been effectively immersed - quite likely when raised it could come up barrel high - you on ground and BG standing. So you point - with potentially a significant amount of water against the chambered round! No time for drainage to have been total. Thus on firing - a signficant ''hydraulic barrier''. I am assuming this can act 'a la' a barrel obstruction and cause severe raised pressures - possible kaboom.

THAT is why I am exploring for thoughts. True too - other aspects of the scenario can also be pulled to pieces!
    You aparently do not get it..if I drop the gun, I'll grab another, not look for it. If gun was still in hand, I'll shoot it, If the situation meets AOJ. I'll let the other guy worry about the 'hydraulic barrier'...something I have never heard of.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

sm
    Paul Gomez-

I truly appreciate your posts and perspectives !!

Chris,
    I have used a "drenched" gun, one of the the impromtu things. These were "work guns", not bling bling, not tacticool toys. So yes " we skittered" the gun across the asphalt - thru the water puddles. Anywhere from surface to 4" inch deep.

The set-ups were made to resemble parking lots, having a pard, skitter a gun to you, maybe to give BUG to spouse,picking up BGs guns to use on him..rolling under a vehicle for cover...shooting under vehicles...

We on purpose were wet, using asphalt, dirt, gravel, anything we might encounter.

Don't figure it will be sunshine, 65* and soft dirt around if the balloon goes up. Wasn't the last time things got serious for me anyway....

GI Gov't 1911, Model 10, Model 19, Model 36 with bobbed hammer, Keltec P-11, BHP, Glock 17, Glock 26, Taurus 85 were used...

Not scratches - Called Character
    Use Enough Gun

Assistant Administrator
    Poor guns!!

Tell ya what Steve - you can be on my team any day!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

sm
    Poor Knuckles, Knees and Elbows...

Tip: If'n you gonna shoot under a MG , or Karman Gia , hold the gun gansta style, ain't much clearance to start with, and I think I know where the term "rapper" come from...bloody knuckles from underneath and recoil with full bore .357s.

These were wrecked cars btw - we had already tested shooting windshields, back glass, side glass , the tires, doors,... and shooting out of a vehicle.

MG is easier to shoot out of...at 6' in height - me getting out a Gia is sight anyway...outta see me try to exit one with a shotgun ...to run to cover to shoot a stage...

The wrecked Buick was much better for this... Trucks are sooo much better.

I had to know, goes back to another life I had, so my mentors put me thru the paces.
    Use Enough Gun

Resurrected in light of the New O. flooding.

I was just thinking about ammo being submerged in H2O and then being fired. Not necessarily concerned with H2O in the barrel, but mainly with the reliability of the ammo after it was wet for a period of time.

My imagined "If it happened to me" scenario-
    Flooding occurs and I have one to two pistols on my person concealed. I have to wade around in the water, mud and who knows what else. Will my pistol function after it's in the water for hours on end?

I think I'll test some Winchester white box in the tub and post my results....
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

1952 - 2006
    Q-Ball, I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Modern ammo is sealed up pretty good. I think the only thing to worry about with ammo in water is corrosion, and that isn't likely to happen for a matter of days if it's corrosive salt water or weeks from fresh water.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I think I recall someone mentioning that they had their ammo under water and then fired it after they dried it off. I'll still try it out since I'm out of school and bored.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quickly identify target being for certain that it is indeed a threat then....1911, squeeze and hold on....This sounds like old slab sides environment anyway.

Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links