Do you know where you are?

This is a discussion on Do you know where you are? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BIG E I have never made another stop along the way and never really paid attention to the road signs. They are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    I have never made another stop along the way and never really paid attention to the road signs. They are in in the country and it is a lot of driving through rolling fields.

What if X happened and I had to call 911 to report my location? Could I do it?
    I confess that it happens occasionally. I try very, very hard to do a mile-marker reset every few minutes, to mark into my memory where I'm at, roughly what mileage from the last town, the time of day. I keep a log of my travels in a little book, so I'm used to this sort of mental "arithmetic" to keep track of where I'm going. I also have a fair mental map in my head. I have done ~50Kmi in the wilds and back roads, so I have a reasonable ability to keep track of the road and rougly how far along I am. Still, the map isn't perfect. More's the pity.

Data point: The one time in recent memory when I've needed immediate, emergency help on the road was when a friend crashed in a bad rainstorm. I knew we were ~10mi from the next town, and that was about ~1.5mi off base. Still, it got them there. I hope I don't need such help again, but I keep the mental recording going just in case. If nothing else, such things help keep boredom from setting in, on long and lonely stretches on the back roads.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I read somewhere, probably on here, that part of the LEO mindset is to say to yourself the street you are on while driving.

"Entering Dakota Avenue from 36th heading North".

That kind of thing...

By doing that there is a minimal 'mental rewind' to know where you are, and it also helps with knowing the city layout in your head.

I am lucky in that I have a brain that visualizes technical data, I see the map in my head and have good bearings. I was probably a bird in my last life...

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I will NEVER call 911
    What do you do? Dial the 7 or 10 digit phone number of every public safety agency you need?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yeah, this is an interesting post. I've been in public safety for going on 30 years so I have developed the habit of trying to keep track of where I'm at, direction of travel, road names, mile posts etc.

When in rural area's it can get frustrating at times. I've been places where there are no road signs on several of the county roads and such and just travel them because of familiararity of where I'm going.

GPS are great. I don't have one but plan on one someday in the future. Still, where I'm located, I'm not sure if many of the 911 centers could locate people based on GPS coord. You may have to talk them through going to the internet and pulling it up on a map.

Also, there are still quite a few counties in my state, not on 911 yet and I'm pretty sure those dispatch centers would be hard pressed finding you based on GPS.

As a responder it is very frustrating trying to locate motorists on the highway who can not provide an accurate location or people in the country who's address is Rt 3 Box 172. That works for the mail man, but they don't understand that we don't carry the mail.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

most newer cellphones have a gps locator for ems

Senior Moderator
    I will NEVER call 911
    NEVER
    is a long time...

are you SURE ?

Can you read the future ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I think there's a difference in "playing it smart" and "being bravado" so I don't have any problem calling 911, it's only a matter of whether I'd have TIME to call them. Due to distance, they could be 30 minutes away. I caught two BG's once and had my son call 911 for me.........I think it was a good decision, I was busy and I needed some back-up with handcuffs! If I were asleep and woke up to find someone in my room, I won't have any extra time to call 911 right then, but I'd call them later; if I were asleep and heard someone breaking in on the other side of my house, I'd probably have time to call them, or have my wife call them, but I wouldn't be cowering under my bed, I'd be preparing to aggressively defend myself. And what if a burglar and I got in a wrestling match, boy I'd be glad that I had made that 911 call.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    A little pricey and highly rated is the Garmin Nuvi. Suction cup for the windshield, easily removable from car to car. We use ours all the time, it gives you your geographical location and coordinates if necessary. Wherever you are it has the capability of giving you the closest hospital, fuel, hotel, mechanic, food, etc with their phone numbers, addresses, etc

From "power off" to lock-on current location < two minutes?
    A HUGE ++++1 for a "true" automotive navigation GPS device. I have a Nuvi 660 and the wife has a Street Pilot 2720. Both are Garmin devices and work very well. You can zoom in/out, scroll "drag 'n drop" style and find just about anything in the area, or otherwise.

I like the Nuvi over the Street Pilot because it has an internal battery and can be carried away from the car. Pretty cool to whip it out and find a restaurant/store near where you happen to be.

But, it's only as good as the data loaded. Locations go out of date due to closures, new openings, road construction, etc. The good thing is, unlike printed road atlases, is the GPS units can be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    How long does it take a current GPS module to acquire the satellites to get a location from powerup these days?
    My two portable auto GPS units acquire in less than a minute. Now, if they're shut off and flown to the other coast, then it will take longer. Once the GPS "knows" where it is, subsequent acquisitions are MUCH shorter.

I can also input whatever city I'm near into the GPS and it locks on very quickly, but I never have to do that.

VIP Member
    My wife and I flew to D.C., I brought my Nuvi with me, when we walked out of the hotel, I turned it on "pedestrian mode" and we started walking. As you know we could access historical sites, attractions, etc, it took us right to them. We had no paper map whatsoever.
    That is true about the updating, it does need that, also there are some errors in the map program, but all in all it is a great device.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    I wonder how these new GPS's like the one you guys are talking about would work in a airplane. Just a thought that escaped my pea brain...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good discussion!

I was running a "what if" scenario through my head the other night regarding how I would respond if abducted from a parking lot and taken to a remote area for my money and 'body disposal'. It unnerved me as I realized that everything unfolded and I found myself in a deserted industrial depot in the city but not so sure of it's exact location.

Can we, in the heat of the moment in conditon orange / red, concentrate on our moving location with a BG holding a gun on us? My attention would center on the situation and persons inside the car and not what was going on outside. (I'm not trying to hijack the thread).

Thankfully, my county and surrounding counties have GPS locators with their 9-1-1 systems, but this thought still unnerved me.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wonder how these new GPS's like the one you guys are talking about would work in a airplane. Just a thought that escaped my pea brain...
    Of course GPS needs a view of the sky. Airplane installed GPS has an appropriate antenna. The type we have has a built-in antenna, and I think withing the confines of the metal airplane that it would pick up the satellites poorly, maybe not even enough to lock on. I've always wanted to try mine on the plane, because I'm interested in what city we just flew over,etc, but I'm not clear on whether it can be used in flight, I've tried to read the approved electronic devices in the in flight magazine, but it's sort of vague, so I havent pushed it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

My magellan explorist xl does great! I had it in my carry on last time I flew back to Maryland. After the pilot gave the OK for electronics I turned it on. We were over Alabama at I think it was 33,500 ft and doing about 450 mph!

I actually have two units, an older meridian gold (b/w display) and my explorist xl with the color display. The big things I like about the explorist xl is it takes "AA" batteries which you can get anywhere and it has internal memory plus an SD card. I just put a $20 2 Gig card (Wally world) in and now have street maps of the entire lower 48 loaded.

Wherever you go, there you are!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links