Do you know where you are? - Page 3

Do you know where you are?

This is a discussion on Do you know where you are? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I wonder how these new GPS's like the one you guys are talking about would work in a airplane. Just a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you know where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wonder how these new GPS's like the one you guys are talking about would work in a airplane. Just a thought that escaped my pea brain...
    It depends. Especially on the sensitivity of the GPS's built-in antenna. Probably wouldn't work so well inside a large airliner, unless you could hold it up to the window.

They work fine in a small, general aviation type aircraft. Not really much different than being in a car and having the unit mounted on the dash/windshield...

VIP Member
    Mrs Clean says I don't know where I am even when I'm in the head down the hall.

Wink Ahhh seee...Here's MY problem:

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonre View Post
    My car survival kit just happens to also be the home of my small, inexpensive handheld GPS unit. Most (if not all) emergency responders these days can locate you based on GPS coordinates.

Now, this is of course providing that you have an "emergency" that allows you time either during or after to think clearly, retrieve the unit, power it up, call emergency services and report your location.

In another sort of situation I dont know what you would do, but I do know how you feel.
    When I was on active duty, we didn't have any cell phones, portable computers were just being field tested and they had a max memory of 64K and no such thing as GPS at least for civilians. Maybe SpecOps had them, but I doubt it. I learned how to find my way thru the woods with a topographic map and a lensatic compass. Later I switched to a Silva compass, unless I was calling in artillery or an airstrike then I used the lensatic and switched to MILS instead of degrees. I don't understand the GPS at all. I also believe in the curse of a visit from Mr. Murphy. If you depend on technology that requires portable energy it's going to fail at exactly the worst possible moment. I'll stick to the grid reference system and a good old fashioned six, eight or ten digit coordinate. Anybody I need to meet me anywhere will recognize the grid coordinate and come if I contact them in the proper manner.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Thumbs up

I have GPS right in my new phone and the other day I took about 20 - 25 intentional wrong turns just to see how it would continuously recalculate my route and my exact location in relation to my intended destination and it's pretty doggone amazing.
    I would say that it is near'bout impossible to get lost these days if you are GPS equipped.

And when I pulled into MickeyDs for a Mac & fries she told me I was not on the road. Yeah...I know...I was hungry.

I like Ginger GPS talking to me when I'm in the car.
    They could have made her computer generated voice a tiny bit sexier though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I never know where I am. I am one of those people that just drives based on landmarks and stuff. I have GPS in both of my cars so I really don't worry too much

I was hit by a truck on the turnpike and I had to tell the police which way I was going. I replied North, she replied "sir, the turnpike only runs east and west". (doh'). I drive the turnpike east everyday, yet when I needed to tell the police I drew a blank. I was pretty shaken up and mad after I just got smashed by a mack truck in my 2 day old car, but still that's pretty bad

My experience with my two GPS units (which I admit are a bit old) is that the time to lock onto the 3-4 required satellites varies. Some days I turn them on and it will lock on in less than a minute other times (esp with tree cover) it takes much longer. There have been times it has taken 5-10 minutes to lock on. Unless the unit was already turned on I personally wouldn't rely on it as you can be sure the one time you need it to lock on quickly it wouldn't.

-- Kirk.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fludy12 View Post
    It depends. Especially on the sensitivity of the GPS's built-in antenna. Probably wouldn't work so well inside a large airliner, unless you could hold it up to the window.

They work fine in a small, general aviation type aircraft. Not really much different than being in a car and having the unit mounted on the dash/windshield...
    I brother turned his Gramin on while flying home. His fastest speed is around 520 MPH now It worked but the maps couldn't keep up witht the jet.

I wrote a long post about this on another forum a while back. I wish I'd pasted it here as well.

As a 911 dispatcher, I can guarantee that not a day goes by that I don't speak with at least one person who has no clue where they are when they need help. I go to work in a few hours, and I promise you I will have to use my knowledge of the area to help locate at least one person. At a time when seconds count, they will be wasted describing landmarks or signs to me.

Please, for the love of God, know where you are. When somebody hits your car, or attempts to carjack you, is that a time when you are going to try to read the nearest roadmap? Those who rely on GPS, that's a well and good, but while giving lat/long can help, it's still time consuming to try to locate you. Street names and numbers are good, intersections are even better.

As has already been mentioned, know the road you're on and which direction you're going. Just last week, I had a guy call for help and tell me he was northbound on a major interstate that runs east/west. On top of that, he had no idea what milemarker he was at. It took nearly an hour of him walking and describing roadsigns in the dark before he managed to find one I recognized. (Yet in almost an hour of walking, he never saw a mile marker sign...)

While I'm thinking about it, another note on GPS coords: Giving lat/long may be no help at all. I can research coordinates within my county and several surrounding counties. That may not be good enough. I have, more times than I like to admit, received 911 cell phone calls from areas that I should not have gotten a call from. Several months ago, I got a cell phone call for a medical emergency where the female caller kept giving me the name of an apartment complex. We happen to have a street by the same name, which has many complexes on the street, but no apartments by that name. After several minutes of trying to find out more information, in her frustration she finally screamed the entire address at me, and told me "I'm in Irving. Texas! Don't you know where the hell that is?" I'm in Florida. There's no ambulance in the whole county that's going to Texas for a call.

Anyway, all that to make a point: Know where you are at all times.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

sgb
    Situational awareness is the basis of self defense. Condition White is unacceptable.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I read somewhere, probably on here, that part of the LEO mindset is to say to yourself the street you are on while driving.

"Entering Dakota Avenue from 36th heading North".

That kind of thing...
    That's a really cool trick. I'll have to try that. (Especially next time I'm on duty.)

Thanks.

Of course, I don't know how well that will work for me. I'm the guy who after dating an ex for over a year and was visiting her house daily, still got lost on his way home and somehow ended up in a different STATE!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I learned this lesson a long time ago while doing a "Ride Along" with an LEO Buddy.

We were going down a residential street and he pulled to the opposite curb, against the non-existant traffic. It was about 2230 Hours, no street lights and not much of a moon. He slumped against the door and said, "I've just been shot, call for help."

I learned my lesson that night. After shift we went out for a beer and had a long talk. We are still friends and i look forward to his Retirement Party.

Biker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links