Do you know where you are?

This is a discussion on Do you know where you are? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't sure where to put this one. Mods feel free to move it. I am driving back from my parents house today and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know where you are?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Do you know where you are?

I wasn't sure where to put this one. Mods feel free to move it.

I am driving back from my parents house today and I realized that I didn't know what road I was on. Now, I drive here all of the time and could probably do it blindfolded.

I have never made another stop along the way and never really paid attention to the road signs. They are in in the country and it is a lot of driving through rolling fields. I just sit back on auto pilot and listen to some tunes.

Something happened along the way to day to make me think what if. What if X happened and I had to call 911 to report my location? Could I do it? I realized "no" I could not. I have been here a thousand times and could not give my exact location if I needed to. I think that's pretty bad.

The whole experience made me think that we all try to be prepared for threats, but what about the basic stuff? If you need to call 911 can you report your location effectively enough so someone can find you in a hurry?

I can't be the only one who has autopilot.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

Very good point you raise. A lot of people think they can just call 9-1-1 on their cell phone and the cavalry is on the way. The truth is not every cell carrier and 9-1-1 center have that capability yet. If you have an older cell phone or your in an area that only has phase 1 coverage, the automatic location information may only display the location of the cell tower you are hitting.

Assistant Administrator
    This is a very possible problem for some folks - whether it is habit induced inattention, over familiarity, or just as some - pure white lifestyle.

I do think over familiarity is a possible for many of us ....... same old route - (yawn) - keep goin' .... where are we now? Hmmm ... not sure re description.

I have tried over time to keep abreast of my local route numbers and - if travelling interstate try and mentally log mile markers as I see them. Also useful to remember intersection details re what route goes off here or there - and so then more possible to say - ''route #XX - a few miles south of route #XX intersection. etc.

All too easy for sure to just drive along the old familiar but - I think biking has made me better at logging my position more accurately ...... overall increase in attention to detail maybe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'd say that in the "normal" areas I drive to (work, home, family/friends, errands, etc..). I'm familiar enough with the area to give 911 either an intersection, street address, or something like that..

Get me out of my 'area' and into a strange enviroment.. I'm hosed. For example, while my wife and I were in Las Vegas for our anniversary.. if I'd have had to call 911..it would have been "I can see the Eiffel tower"
    and the 911 Operator's response would have been "Great, so we've established that you're in Vegas...."

New Member Array questionallthings's Avatar
    The one thing I've noticed myself doing (for local routes at least) is remembering the names of the routes instead of numbers. So here's hoping the 911 operator knows the names just as well as the numbers :(. LOL

My car survival kit just happens to also be the home of my small, inexpensive handheld GPS unit. Most (if not all) emergency responders these days can locate you based on GPS coordinates.

Now, this is of course providing that you have an "emergency" that allows you time either during or after to think clearly, retrieve the unit, power it up, call emergency services and report your location.

In another sort of situation I dont know what you would do, but I do know how you feel.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    How long does it take a current GPS module to acquire the satellites to get a location from powerup these days?

VIP Member
    A little pricey and highly rated is the Garmin Nuvi. Suction cup for the windshield, easily removable from car to car. We use ours all the time, it gives you your geographical location and coordinates if necessary. Wherever you are it has the capability of giving you the closest hospital, fuel, hotel, mechanic, food, etc with their phone numbers, addresses, etc

From "power off" to lock-on current location < two minutes?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    Excellent point! I would take it a step further, and pay attention to the address range your in, or between "Main St" and "1st St". If on the interstate its super important to know what mile post your near. Also, know your direction of travel. I know it sounds silly, but a lot of people dont know what direction they are going. This is very true when your on a city loop. (a freeway that circles a city) You may have started out heading North, but you'll change to East or West as you travel along.
    I cant tell you how many times I've run up and down the highway looking for a crash or medical emergency that the caller could only tell us North of the city... the highway goes hundreds of miles north of the city! Luckily its never cost anyone their lives, but you can easily see how it could.

Oh yeah, be very careful with the GPS coordinates... most smaller communication centers wont be able to translate that info to the units on the road just yet. If you gave me GPS coordinates and told me to find you, I could not with the equipment currently issued. We are pretty much a progressive PD and communication center, we get all the latest and greatest.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    As for GPS stuff, yeah most people would never think to google them. Almost all the free map stuff on the web accepts GPS coords and will plot you on the map. Best to be able to communicate with road sign info.

When I saw the thread title I took it a different way. I travel around so much I look at the hotel telephone to remind me where I am.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I will NEVER call 911

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I will NEVER call 911
    hahaha why?

Administrator

GPS

These days, you can be located in a shorter amount of time than they honestly want your average person to believe possible & that's a fact.
    It depends on who exactly is interested in locating you and for what specific purpose.
    And unless you remove the battery from your cell phone it can be shut off and you can still be located through your phone.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    These days, you can be located in a shorter amount of time than they honestly want your average person to believe possible & that's a fact.
    It depends on who exactly is interested in locating you and for what specific purpose.
    And unless you remove the battery from your cell phone it can be shut off and you can still be located through your phone.
    But it takes time. If I'm bleeding out, I dont want somebody flipping through the instruction book trying to figure out how to do it. If I can tell them in plain english I'm at mile marker 200 northbound I-75 its that much quicker.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But it takes time. If I'm bleeding out, I dont want somebody flipping through the instruction book trying to figure out how to do it. If I can tell them in plain english I'm at mile marker 200 northbound I-75 its that much quicker.
    Absolutely, and I've noticed driving back and forth from KC to NoVA that a lot of states now have a numbered marker every 2 tenths of a mile. Out west it is still every mile from what I saw on my drive to western Montana a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy
    I will NEVER call 911
    I've called 911 several times for accidents on the interstates. Usually the dispatcher gets the pertinent info about location and then lets me go because usually someone involved has called in at that point. I would hope that you would do the same, but it is your prerogative not to call for help for others.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links